Scaling/Moderating of marks. (1 Viewer)

so_what

HSC
I feel like I keep coming up with stupid questions... But anyway I'm curious as to how scaling or moderating (whatever they do) works in university. So, how does it work?

TheStallion

HSC
I doubt many faculties actually strictly stick to that diagram, it's more of a general sort of thing, heaps of lecturers I know scale in their own ways. Comp courses are a good example.

HSC
N/A
The proportions of each grade varies heaps from subject to subject, and from school to school. All the marks need to get approved by some faculty committee before they are made official which stops any lecturer going mad and failing everyone. I think that in the higher year subjects they compare the distribution of WAMs of the students to the mark distribution that the lecturer wants to give to see whether it looks reasonable, but they obviously don't exactly scale to that as some courses are definitely WAM boosters/killers.

HSC
Uni Grad
I was told that for languages, your rank matters more and the courses scale downwards, so ultimately its hard to get HD for languages, but on the other hand, it's easier passing the courses. :S

whilst as for me, I am getting quite worried :(

thankfully someone found out about this (Y)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I was told that for languages, your rank matters more and the courses scale downwards, so ultimately its hard to get HD for languages, but on the other hand, it's easier passing the courses. :S

whilst as for me, I am getting quite worried :(

thankfully someone found out about this (Y)
that's only if the course is easy.
Actually, not because its easy, it's because everyone gets high marks. So, of course if the raw average is say, 85 for example, they have the scale it down.
Of course, this could make it easier to pass because lecturers aren't obliged to scale down the lower marks (as much if at all).

HSC
Uni Grad
that's only if the course is easy.
Actually, not because its easy, it's because everyone gets high marks. So, of course if the raw average is say, 85 for example, they have the scale it down.
Of course, this could make it easier to pass because lecturers aren't obliged to scale down the lower marks (as much if at all).
okay, may as well tell everyone to not study so I can get higher marks (Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)