scaling (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by steven_tiger
oh geez.... the only subjects i do that are better then average are advanced english and bio! :mad: :(

i would have thought pd/h/pe and business would have been higher then what they are. ah well.
the only ones of mine that scaled up are advanced english and chemistry :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
it is pretty unreasonable that busienss gets scaled down.....my textbook is tottally beefed up and there is soo much content in b/s...
yeah, but dont forget business is a pretty easy subject, i mean, ya ramble on with shit and ya get 17/20...cant ask for much more than that.

AGB

HSC
the majority of business studies is nuthin but common sense....i got 92.5 in my trial and i did no study whatsoever for it......i listened in class throughout the year and thats all i needed to do well......

(reason i didnt study is coz it aint gonna count)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
After my suicide in ext 1 maths looks like biz is gonna count...
just as well since I sacrificed my weekend on biz and left 1 day for maths - FATAL

nerdd

don't want to sound like a smart ass but it doesn't scale favourably because it isn't hard..
all you have to do is have a good memory & ability to spit it all out word for word and you'll blitz the exam. it's all memory work.
it has nothing to do with applications like maths and chemistry and the sciences (hence they get scaled higher).
that's my theory anyway.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
scaling doesnt mean its a hard subject. pdhpe is gonna be impossible for most of the 4u maths people just as art is gonna hard for physics poeple. art invloves essays and a major work, so is it harder than english? you cant say one subject is harder than another, it depends on the person.

nerdd

what i'm trying to say is, that all it's really testing is your memory

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
and i have a crap memory, cant remember stuff for shit.....last time i was in my ext 1 eng trial...i couldnt even think of that famous quote from Hamlet...u know da....*to be or not to be* one....

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
hmmm...I'm just trying to remember what I got for business a couple of years ago...it's slipped my mind.

I think it was something like 96.

Ah yes that's right.

School 95, Exam 96, HSC 96.

Remember to distinguish between the scaled HSC mark you get (which may be rather good) and the scaled mark which is then used to calculate your UAi, which lines up all the subjects accordin to supposed difficulty, based on the other subjects canditates take, and how they perform generally in these subjects.

I think at this point it's also good to point out that scaling is only relative every year. Sometimes the candidature can seriously affect it from year to year, especially if it is small. eg. In 2001, Latin Continuers scaled really well, because everyone who did the course did well in all their other subjects. Last year it still scaled well, but noticeably lower.

As for raw school marks, remember that different school raws are scaled differently. Schools that mark harder are scaled up, where school assessments are concerned.

I'd agree that the subject itself only relies on memory. The pointless thing about it is that there is too much breadth of content and not enough detail, so you rely on your short term memory to remember a whole lot of junk which doesn't stick, and which you'll never have to know again. Even if you go into something like finance and/or business management, you will need to learn the unwatered-down version.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Weisy
I'd agree that the subject itself only relies on memory. The pointless thing about it is that there is too much breadth of content and not enough detail, so you rely on your short term memory to remember a whole lot of junk which doesn't stick, and which you'll never have to know again. Even if you go into something like finance and/or business management, you will need to learn the unwatered-down version.

during the holidays i went to this Business program run by USyd, we had lectuers from Australia, Canada and the USA to lecture us, and basically everythign was sooo basic, the 4 Ps were the major pter, other than that, the text-book thery sorta disappeared, it was more pratical theory, which is somehting i think the syllabus is not v reflective of.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, the other thing you learn is that what you learn in Bus Studies in terms of theory is not useful generally in the 'real world'. The practical side would come through a lot more. Most organisations will have their own thoeretical base, and you'd need to acquaint yourself with it all during induction, and then pick up bits and pieces via osmosis while on the job.

connie

HSC
N/A
so in terms of getting a uai above 90, provided you do well in your others subjects, what would be the lowest you could get in business?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
im 11/25 in sbhs and got 82 in the trial. my other subjects are ok, is it possible to get over 90?

AGB

HSC
in 2002 hsc, an hsc mark of 94 was scaled down to a mark used for uai calculation of 87. considering that a mid band 6 mark loses 7 marks, that is pretty bad...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)