Scalling really shit (1 Viewer)

ben

i think ER is heaps more boring that global

industrial relations is soo ....zzzzzzzz

bex

HSC
look guys business is scaled down because it's shit. serioiusly. it's striaght forward and all you need to do is get a study guide and remember what it says.
I have to disagree with you there! the whole idea of the short answers, extended response and the report are to APPLY different strategies to maxamise performance in a business... not regurgitate the textbook....
Subjects only scale as well as people do in them... the scaling occurs when they take into account the performance of your entire class compared with the state... if you do well then youre scaled up i not, then down... so really its the responsibilty of the whole class to pull the scaling up...

bex

HSC
the Board no longer forces course marks to conform to a predetermined distribution (i.e. the bell curve).
yeah thats what im getting at!!!

Ozz^E

I dun know about u guys but i thought business studies was rather easy..though it still required hard work(i.e effort/time) but not any brain teasing like 4u maths does (i think u get the point).
Anyway, i did it last yr and got a reasonable 96 which the revolutionary lazseeker scaled down to 92.35 but i think that its fair coz like all subjects have to be brought onto one scale in order to get fair UAIs to students. Hence a 96 in biz is prob equally to a 86 in 4u maths for example...so yeah. Had i known earlier though i would have dropped it and not dropped Physics this yr but i doubt it will have too much of an affect.

:cool: :D

philbert_frog

I have to agree with Bex, however here are my two cents...

Biz is one of the easier subjects to do - hence why its one of the most popular "electives".

However, it is not so easy that you can just regurgitate the textbook (although you could for year 11) - the biz course is all about tailoring your answer to suit the question, not just regurgitating the syllabus - you have to think about what to include, and not waffle on for 5 pages on something unrelated. Its hard to do very well in, and easy to do ok in.

Compared to its sister subject Economics tho, its a walk in the park - eco involves concepts and maths, which biz doesn't really delve into all that much.

But you could never say its "easy" cuz its a 582 page textbook that needs to be summarised to begin with (which is the biggest single textbook I know of for any HSC course) and then it has to be organised to suit questions that require a discussion of 3 of the 5 topics.

sif not 99

i was coming first in my school in biz and i dropped it because of the scaling because unless u get in the top 1% u get screwed. Im starting to think i shoulda dropped ancient instead because thats so much harder and u get hurt as much scaling wise in ancient as biz but yeah,

philbert_frog

well that just proves that its not an easy subject than doesn't it

Ranking Subject Scaled Mean (25 is average)
27 Ancient History 24.9
28 Earth & Environmental Science 24.7
29 Dance 24.2
29 Society & Culture 24.2
31 Business Studies 24.1

ben

Originally posted by philbert_frog
I have to agree with Bex, however here are my two cents...

Biz is one of the easier subjects to do - hence why its one of the most popular "electives".

However, it is not so easy that you can just regurgitate the textbook (although you could for year 11) - the biz course is all about tailoring your answer to suit the question, not just regurgitating the syllabus - you have to think about what to include, and not waffle on for 5 pages on something unrelated. Its hard to do very well in, and easy to do ok in.

Compared to its sister subject Economics tho, its a walk in the park - eco involves concepts and maths, which biz doesn't really delve into all that much.

But you could never say its "easy" cuz its a 582 page textbook that needs to be summarised to begin with (which is the biggest single textbook I know of for any HSC course) and then it has to be organised to suit questions that require a discussion of 3 of the 5 topics.
LOL, yeah the text book is massive. Although I have two textbooks, the Five Senses business study guide has EVERYTHING you need to know (except case studies). Plus, it's about 1/3 of the thickness. I think the normal business studies textbooks are thick because they are 98% background information and examples. Still, the syallabus is A LOT too get through.

I agree with you about the difficultly though. Business is easy to understand, and learn if you have lots of time. However in exams, Section III (the report) really tests you ability and SKILLS, rather than just knowledge. Section III is very difficult in my opinion. Like you said it's very easy to do OK in (band 4/5), but extremely hard to do very well (band 6).

manly girl

Will I wouldn't worry. It was outta 20 and we all stuffed it up. We get really hard assesments in business (and english).

I got 14, but when our teacher takes it down to a mark our of 15, I get the same as Griffo (for others: a guy who aces everything, all the time, and if he doesn't, scams marks till he does).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)