• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scared.. (1 Viewer)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
So if you automatically fall below 50 in the subject, do you get a fail??

Also, what does a 'conceded pass' mean? The fact that I hardly attended lecturers or studied after mid-sems has finally caught up to me. Damn you karma, dam you to hell. :(

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
<50=fail, tho those r ur scaled marks, not raw marks

i think u might mean Concessional Pass, i dont think they exist anymore, well they dont in faculty of scieence (but when it was around it meant 49)

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i know they dont have concessional pass in my degree anymore

it used to be from 46-49 though ??

oh god i wish it still existed

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, lets turn people into the workplace who failed the basic skills they need for the job.

Brilliant idea.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
what971 said:
isnt it below 50 = fail??
Yes. The roll call indicates that you're enrolled in a Bachelor of Commerce.

Grades of 'PCON - Pass (Concessional)' are not awarded or recognised in any award course offered by the Faculty of Economics and Business, are treated as failures for the purposes of progression and do not satisfy award course requirements. This regulation also applies to grades in units of study offered by other faculties that are counted towards Faculty of Economics and Business award courses or the Faculty's component of combined award courses.
source

Some_Guy said:
D averages are needed to transfer right?
Usually, but it depends on the degree. You aren't listed on the roll call (and your degree isn't indicated in your profile), so I can't tell you for certain. What degree are you doing?

Nakashima said:
Are exams usually worth up to 75%?
Again, depends on the degree. Many Science/Maths based degrees will have exams with large weightings, Arts/Humanities degrees less so (As the bulk of assessment usually comes from research essays in those) Again, you are also not listed on the roll call (and your profile gives no indication of degree), so I can't tell you for sure.

EDIT: I've just seen that you are doing B. Pharm I.

Your degree would come under the latter option I was talking about (Sciencey/Maths). The best way to find out whether this 75% weighting is usual for all your subjects would be to talk to other members on this forum who have done the degree (you can find a list of them here)

To double check though, have a look at your Unit of Study Outline (you should have been given one the first lecture of Semester)

withoutaface said:
Yeah, lets turn people into the workplace who failed the basic skills they need for the job.
I agree, you need to pass - to expect any less of university students is a little silly.

Can I just say to all of you though (talking to the first years here) that this isn't the HSC - don't freak out too much. I found the graduating class of 2005 to be the most paranoid yet, and your collective attitude towards university seems to be of much the same wavelength. Chill out a little, take it easy, read over your lecture notes, talk to other people who did the same units as you, apply yourself a little bit and you'll be ok. You can't be completley stupid to have got into university, so work a little and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Some_Guy

HSC
ujuphleg said:
Usually, but it depends on the degree. You aren't listed on the roll call (and your degree isn't indicated in your profile), so I can't tell you for certain. What degree are you doing?
doing Ag Eco want to do just normal eco or commerce or something that doesnt involve soils :(

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Some_Guy said:
doing Ag Eco want to do just normal eco or commerce or something that doesnt involve soils
Okay, best to have a read of this.

The Faculty website says that you should contact the Admissions centre for further information, and provides a (dead) link to the Admissions Centre (located within the Student Centre, bottom level of Carslaw) but I have a feeling they'll just tell you to go away - they are a pretty unhelpful lot.

All transfers (internal and external) go through UAC so best to contact them at the usual: www.uac.edu.au

Hope all goes well for you!!

Some_Guy

HSC
I dont think I have a chance this semester anyway, but i still get a chance next semester right?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Hypothetically, say we fail, how do we make up for it? Any make-up tests?

And you're right, I'm probably exaggerating and I'm definately bordering paranoia as the exams creep closer but still.....

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Some_Guy said:
I dont think I have a chance this semester anyway, but i still get a chance next semester right?
For the purposes of making your units align up (ie, they usually run the pre-req for a course in first semester then the other in second) you're probably better off transferring next year anyway.

what971 said:
Hypothetically, say we fail, how do we make up for it? Any make-up tests?

And you're right, I'm probably exaggerating and I'm definately bordering paranoia as the exams creep closer but still.....
It depends on the exam. ECOP 1001 for example had an additional test for people in the 45-50 range - they usually don't want you to fail. Even though it means extra money for them, who wants to have to tell people their teaching is so shit that half the class had to go back and re-do first year?

I said it to lala2 in the other thread - just do the best you can do, and no-one can ask any better than that of you. :)

Damage Inc. said:
No, you fail.
Jack, please don't deliberatley dishearten everyone else. You do disservice to the intent of these forums, which is to help your fellow students. If you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't say anything. Thanks.

Generator

HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
Jack, please don't deliberatley dishearten everyone else. You do disservice to the intent of these forums, which is to help your fellow students. If you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't say anything. Thanks.
Sometimes you cannot help but be 'heartless' when you are trying to help - this is a help forum, not a feel good forum, after all.

Edit (new text only): My point is that constructive help need not always be heartening or delivered in a long-winded and sugar-coated manner.

Last edited:

Some_Guy

HSC
So when & how do we find out when & where certain exams are?
or have we been told and i just wasnt paying attention.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Some_Guy said:
So when & how do we find out when & where certain exams are?
or have we been told and i just wasnt paying attention.
I guess that I should also say that this is a help forum, not a please answer the most basic of questions that I could quite easily answer for myself forum.

MyUni, Some Guy.

cimbom

HSC
ujuphleg said:
It depends on the exam. ECOP 1001 for example had an additional test for people in the 45-50 range - they usually don't want you to fail. Even though it means extra money for them, who wants to have to tell people their teaching is so shit that half the class had to go back and re-do first year?
Wow- Frank said that the 'acceptable range' mark would be above 40 this semester. If we get below 40% (of the 50) there's retesting, especially if it is inconsitent with our assessment mark (constituting the remaining 50).

Some_Guy

HSC
what971 said:
Hey, MyUni --> MyAdmin --> Log into Student Admin --> Exam Seating --> press B/Commerce (you're the same as me right?) --> it comes up.
i dont do B Commerce.
anywho its good to see ECON and ECMT up first :(

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
no it isn't. ????

Also, so you must not be doing Accounting, you lucky bum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)