• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Scholarships (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
What are the chances and what is required to be considered for some sort of scholarship into uni?

Is there some sort of process that needs to be taken? i.e. applications etc??

btw, im in yr11 this but I'm just interested...

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by stargaze
What are the chances and what is required to be considered for some sort of scholarship into uni?
A high UAI is a start.

Ninga

HSC
Yeah, u fill in a scholarship form and provide the documents they ask for. This is in year 12. If you're any good they might offer u a scholarship just with that info, but otherwise they look at an interview as well and your UAI.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Stuff scholarships...

...now cadetships :D:D:D

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by stargaze

Is there some sort of process that needs to be taken? i.e. applications etc??

btw, im in yr11 this but I'm just interested...
scholarships applications come out around september.

chances vary depending on how good your application is.

good UAI mabye not needed if you have shown good skills else where, but def 93+ UAI.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Scholarships just aren't academic, a lot of scholarships are based on other factors such as your financial situation, such as being low income earners, coming from a rural area and all types of other things.

If you're interested, its worth ringing up the unis and finding out about their respective scholarships, they'll usually provide you with a webpage or even send out some material.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
People have got scholarships with UAI's of 70, it all depends on what the criteria for the scholarship is... there's no golden rule because each scholarship has its own criteria for being awarded, although academic scholarships are exactly that, ones for academic performance so 93+ UAI usually tends to be needed to be competitive.

stargaze

HSC
Hmm.. basically would the criteria be something along the lines of:
- UAI mark
- an interview (personality i guess)
- socio economic things - location, income stuff etc
- extra-curricula stuff (?)

The rural-area option is ruled out for me and the income thing I think. So would my UAI be basically the most important thing?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
93.00 is usually the lowest UAI you need for a scholarship. :uhhuh:
my friend got a cadetship with a 90 something uai... in accounting or whatevs

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
93 is a very general cap. Even if you don't think you will get it, you should still submit an application, cause, i mean the is no harm in submitting an application.

Ribbon

UAI isn't everything... I missed out on a $10k a year scholarship to someone with a UAI of 75... because they did more extra curricular activities (yeah, like I would have done more if I wasn't studying so much but whatever)

oh and I suggest applying for scholarships even if you don't think you will get into the course (or even if you think your a shoe in for another scholarship) and start looking early... I learnt the hard way that ANU has a few scholarships worth around $10k for each year of your degree but the applications close in september (in september ANU wasn't even one of my preferences!).

HSC
I qualified for a commerce scholarship but turned it down to study law. Too bad i dropped law within 2 months. :(

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
u dont need a high uai, just be the right person for the money they are offering, a guy in my course got 15k pa and he ant smart

Ribbon

The majority of scholarships I went for had selectrion criterea along the lines of:

financial need
aptitude/motivation to study in chosen field
community involvement
general personality/impression (ie in the interview)
committment to study (ie they don't want to give you a scholarship just so you can drop out).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)