School assessments being too easy? (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
The teachers, theoretically, have to be adequate. The are preparing the students to sit the HSC exam so they must be able to teach them in a way so that they can do the HSC exam...
Maybe they should do something about the TEACHERS? I have seen teachers who can't do a simple questions in a maths paper lol but I have seen others who can give you the method + the solution by simply looking at the question.
What can we do about this?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
And this 'fair go' stuff is a little hypocritical as well.

People who suck at English don't get a 'fair go' do they? Yet people who suck at maths can just ignore it.
So therefore due to the fact that a fair go is abolished fundamentally, then we can deduce that the point of the HSC is not to give a fair go, but rather to find who is capable and who isn't.

4U was one way to seperate this, but this got stuffed up because of the increase in demand for the subject.

RishBonjour

HSC
I thought 4U maths should be aimed at the higher capable students. i.e. the top 10%.

Just because everyone is doing it now doesn't mean difficulty needs to be lowered.
4U is 4U for a reason.
agreed.

Although uniform exams would be beneficial, having slightly easier exams in disadvantaged schools can motivate students to further study that subject rather than dropping it after 1st assessment. This then gives them time to actually develop.

I certainly dissent lowering exam standards in Australia though. Relative to other countries, its quite behind already.

Last edited:

Lieutenant_21

HSC
agreed.

Although uniform exams would be beneficial, having slightly easier exams in disadvantaged schools can motivate students to further study that subject rather than dropping it after 1st assessment. This then gives them time to actually develop.

I certainly dissent lowering exam standards in Australia though. Relative to other countries, its quite behind already.
That will destroy good students at "disadvantaged schools"
Some students may be unlucky and couldn't make it into a selective school for a multitude of reasons. There are a lot of students at low ranked schools who have the potential to state rank, like that girl who came 6th in phys in 2012 from fairfield (unless disadvantaged school are <600).
+ I believe that it isn't exactly easy to develop at MX2 by being motivated by an easy exam.

RishBonjour

HSC
That will destroy good students at "disadvantaged schools"
Some students may be unlucky and couldn't make it into a selective school for a multitude of reasons. There are a lot of students at low ranked schools who have the potential to state rank, like that girl who came 6th in phys in 2012 from fairfield (unless disadvantaged school are <600).
+ I believe that it isn't exactly easy to develop at MX2 by being motivated by an easy exam.
note the word slightly. And I refuse to believe that exam standards are FAR below that of the syllabus requirement. And if it is, at a low ranked school, if the student is that great, he/she should be getting 100% in every single exam (or at least close). I'm pretty sure you will stop complaining when your trial comes unless you go to a legit SHIT school. Trials will differentiate.
btw, IMO, disadvantaged schools are those were the DUX probably gets 96 ish.

Lieutenant_21

HSC
note the word slightly. And I refuse to believe that exam standards are FAR below that of the syllabus requirement. And if it is, at a low ranked school, if the student is that great, he/she should be getting 100% in every single exam (or at least close). I'm pretty sure you will stop complaining when your trial comes unless you go to a legit SHIT school. Trials will differentiate.
I am not annoyed by the assessments being too easy because it is affecting me but I am just discussing what can be improved about the education system in Australia in general.
When I say the assessments are too easy I don't mean they are exactly easy. What I mean is that most students can do well in them. I'm sure you have seen James Ruse papers, they are pretty easy, right? Someone who went there told me that sometimes because the test is not difficult to the point of separating the students according to their actual level, almost the entire class get close to full marks. You may ague that this is because all of them are smart but it happens at schools ranked anywhere in the top 100.
The only thing I am trying to say is basically the BOS should find a way to make school assessments fair for all students at all schools and accurately assess both the intelligence and knowledge of the student. School rank has nothing to do with the difficulty of the assessments.

Last edited:

Lieutenant_21

HSC
agreed.

I would love to know the BOS's reasoning behind this. I don't get their logic and the way they think... they should just give up and copy Finland's education system (don't hate me please). The people they produce at school are what ultimately determines the future of the country so why not invest in education? It is all because of:

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed, the highest atar at mine was 95.

RishBonjour

HSC
Sigh.. just got my results for my bio assessment this term and I got 30/37 due to one silly mistake-->carry on error. I found this assessment too easy, and nearly everyone's mark in the subject is at around the 30-37 mark range, and I'm disappointed about this assessment, it just screwed up the subject ranks. Should I complain to the subject coordinator, and what should I say to her without trying to sound like I'm forcing her or offending her efforts?
accept your mark. move on. Use this as leverage to smash your trials. I don't think you should complain!
good luck :)

Lieutenant_21

HSC
Sigh.. just got my results for my bio assessment this term and I got 30/37 due to one silly mistake-->carry on error. I found this assessment too easy, and nearly everyone's mark in the subject is at around the 30-37 mark range, and I'm disappointed about this assessment, it just screwed up the subject ranks. Should I complain to the subject coordinator, and what should I say to her without trying to sound like I'm forcing her or offending her efforts?
The problem is that biology is easy, they can't really make the questions that hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)