School captaincy speeches (1 Viewer)

sarabear7

HSC
Hey guys n gurls
im running for school captain 08 and our election speeches are coming up. Does anybody hav any ideas of what to say or wat changes school captains hav the power to implement??????:confused:

all suggestions would be much appreciated.
luv u all....hope every1 does good in their exams
sarah.

HSC
who cares, make a funny speech, make them all laugh :D

uhm, they head the src, so whatever the src has power to implement i guess.

sarabear7

HSC
hey thanx 4 the tip...wat high school did u go 2...im from wollongong 2

HSC
smith's hill high.

seriously though, you dont have to be funny (it might even backfire on you if you try too hard) but you do have to be different from the rest who are all going to be talking about what the qualities of a good school captain are.

you can say those things, like being a good leader, be there to talk to, a model student, your school representative, always willing to get involved (talk about what you have done at school) and stuff like that. but be creative about it. good luck.

sarabear7

HSC
hey thanx man...i'll keep all that in mind
you've been a great help

trao06

HSC
hey, yep basically speak about what you've done for the school - activities etc, maybe what you aspire to do in future, what you can provide as leader. i wouldn't speak about what you would actually implement or change as captain, but rather focus on what you can give through personality etc. if you're a naturally funny person your speech doesn't have to be fully serious, but don't try too hard either lol

your aim is to be creative and make your speech stick in others' minds for when they vote!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Our school stopped allowing us to make speeches around two years ago, because prefects are supposed to be determined by merit rather than lulz.

I would've given it a go if I got to make a speech. I'd make a shit prefect cuz I'm like the worst example to follow EVER but my speech could have been pretty lol i think. But yeah instead my school is like "write a list about all of your achievements/involvement in the school and we'll put them up in the front corridor!" so of course i'm like 'fuck that :eek:'

but yeah, a suggestion to everyone: don't go on and on about your achievements. No one gives a shit. If you've been in a musical or something mildly interesting like that, then mention it. But none of this "I go to every Working Bee Day because I like to plant teh trees and I got like 3 band sixes in my school cert lah" Just make me laugh and I'll vote for you, goddamnit.

Last edited:
HSC
trao06 said:
hey, yep basically speak about what you've done for the school - activities etc, maybe what you aspire to do in future, what you can provide as leader. i wouldn't speak about what you would actually implement or change as captain, but rather focus on what you can give through personality etc. if you're a naturally funny person your speech doesn't have to be fully serious, but don't try too hard either lol

your aim is to be creative and make your speech stick in others' minds for when they vote!
If you do not want to get elected, follow this advice. That is seriously the stupidest post I have read in the year i've been on here.

beentherdunthat

HSC
watatank said:
who cares, make a funny speech, make them all laugh :D

uhm, they head the src, so whatever the src has power to implement i guess.
Yuppppp. Funny=GOOD! No-one remembers dull speeches. Funny ones rock ;)

HSC
Quote from my friends speech which got her vice captain:
"Most people say this is just a popularity contest, and according to myspace.com, I have a lot of friends!"

kloudsurfer

HSC
Play the ukelele or dress up in a green and yellow sparkly lycra version of our school uniform.

It worked for the guy/girl who are now our 2008 captains.

Dont worry, the lycra bodysuit was the girl...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
if you leave your chances of being selected with a speech, then you're doomed already. capt is never about the speech, it's about friends. if you've been in the src for the past few years or so, then you'd be sweet. most people don't care about who's the capt.

but a good speech helps, pulls the teachers' votes. in my school, only the prefects were allowed to vote for capt and vice capt and senior prefect, so bribery was on the cards.

trao06

HSC
Abbath Occulta said:
If you do not want to get elected, follow this advice. That is seriously the stupidest post I have read in the year i've been on here.

lol, currently vice captain of my school =P

i guess it's different for all schools. but in mine, people actually vote after the speeches according to who they honestly believe to be able to do a good job of the role, not on popularity etc.

btw people, it's not always a popularity contest. my school does it so that votes are 50% students, and 50% teachers.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if you've been involved in SRC/school/out of school activities and you've done it for a long time, then that shuld help your credit. OH, a vital thing - if you're SANE/normal then tahts automatic win. if you have good friends/are mediocre[ly] popular, you should be able to get it.

captaincy is a popularity contest, if you're sane and have credit with helpingo ut SRC/the school, you win.

speech? one guy did "vote for me yeah thanks".

needless to say, he didnt get captaincy.

MeOverYou

Banned
HSC
trao06 said:
lol, currently vice captain of my school =P

i guess it's different for all schools. but in mine, people actually vote after the speeches according to who they honestly believe to be able to do a good job of the role, not on popularity etc.

btw people, it's not always a popularity contest. my school does it so that votes are 50% students, and 50% teachers.
The word vice might have something to do with that... My point is that rattling off a list of achievements and a bunch of ambiguous and optimistic aspirations will not provide an engaging speech and it will only serve to portray you as someone with the veritable personality of a door.

trao06

HSC
no, i never said not to show your personality, etc - that's why you don't have to be entirely serious or anything with your speech, and i wasn't.

a speech has to have EVERYTHING. aspirations/involvements are just one aspect. creativity with your speeches and the way you present them will work out =]

but once again, i suppose it's different for different schools.

Beebulls

HSC
I tried out but didn't get in, doesn't help that there were 19 girls trying for it and only 7 guys, 6 guys 6 girls only get it, any of the girls would've been fine, some of the girls sung songs, others just did speeches, two of the guys had epic music as they walked to the mic, then talked about how awsome they are and how they'd make great prefects, one of them told an irrelevant story about a crab who was killed by the lobster that ruled over him and then promised everyone perfect helf and sunny days, he got in and everyone laughed lots

jellybelly59

HSC
best thing to do... and i've actually seen someone become vice captain for this... "ill shave my head if i become captain... *den walks off the stage* but he was only vice lmao! haha u gotta just take it one step further hahaha! :D btw gl

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Just make lots of promises, such as extended lunch hour, better food in canteen, casual day once a week etc, better school activities, betetr scholl spirirt/sport, more staff development days, better resources, more computers, etc.

Just basically anything reasnobale, doesn't matter whether you can deliver it or not. All you need to do is get elected, once you're elected its not as if they can impeach you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)