School Captaincy? (1 Viewer)

Joga Bonito

HSC
So anyone here going for captain at their school, or already one? I'm thinking about it, but what do you guys think are the positives and negatives of being school captain? I'd like to weigh them up before i decide, lol, chances are i wouldn't get it anyway

chumbumm. =D

HSC
looks good on ur resume??
leadership skills...

but.
you'll probably need to take alot of time out of school though..
which can be a bad thing especially during your senior years and its better to be in class..

JJBearPaw

HSC
Our captains had to meet each week after school, so there's a bit more work to do.

But it does look good on your resume, and you get alot of respect and fameee.
kinda.

morning storm

HSC
its a lot more than looking good on your resume

you will find it will magnify the highs and lows of your year. the hsc is already a rollercoaster but the position only aggravates that. it comes at a time when you are expected to do assessments and sit exams that will 'define your life'.

it requires good time management. you will find the speeches, assemblies and ceremonies come at a time when you have like 5 assessments. know that it isnt everything though. i had shocking time management and routine, yet i still entertain the notion of getting a 99+ uai.

that said, it is an invaluable experience you should try to gain. you are given the opportunity to develop many skills that no one else is provided. you learn to deal with responsibility. you have to constantly work to be a role model. communication skills are developed whether it be through talking to year 5 kids or anzac veterans. it makes your time at high school memorable.

you also get a shiny badge

overall dont let some inconveniences convince you. if you get it, you are challenging yourself on all levels. from such an experience one can only grow.

EDIT: zephyrio wow thats cool we also both did ee2

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
I was school captain. It was pretty good. You had to take on quite a bit but it allows you to create more efficient study patterns.

It is an invaluable experience as Morning Storm said, and yeah don't let the inconveniences bother you. Because what you gain outweighs all the negatives. For example, it looks good on your CV and what's more is that you get to do a lot of extra-curricular stuff due to your captaincy, and hey your CV comes to be pretty filled up.

:)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I wasn't School Captain, but I was Drama Captain with an entire musical production to put on stage during the HSC.

But I would like to comment on some of what Morning Storm had to say.

morning storm said:
its a lot more than looking good on your resume
But we can all agree it certainly does, and will show future employers that you were able to do the following:
1. Manage your time (And this is the MOST important thing you need to learn for life. This will define your life FAR more than any stupid set of exams.)
2. Be trustworthy in an honoured position
3. Represent your school
4. Manage a team of people below you (prefects) to achieve certain ends
5. Work effectively under a head and are able to take direction while also giving directions
6. Manage your time (did I put that in already? ;) )
7. Be a positive role model (as morning storm said)
8. Communicate effectively (thanks Morning storm)
9. Organisation skills

And you are really School Captain for life. My old school captain always falls back into that role whenever we have a reunion.

In my life now, it is time management that enables me to get the most out of everything. I have a fellow Scout Leader who was Head Prefect (not quite Captain but he might as well have been). He is fantastic to work with because he doesn't need to be held by the hand when it comes to organising the Scouts. In some respects he leads me!!

But the shiny badge is certainly a plus. Gotta love shiny badges.

But, it takes a special person to be School Captain. One who has all the above and some brains to be able to do their school work in a small amount of time. Think it over very seriously. Are you that sort of person?

Good luck!

hairspray

HSC
I heard that if you're captain, u're able to apply for extra UAI points... well that was what our 2006 captain did.

HSC
hairspray said:
I heard that if you're captain, u're able to apply for extra UAI points... well that was what our 2006 captain did.
No.

hairspray

HSC
Well this is what i heard from him... he sent in some form saying that being captain was "time consuming" so therefore his UAI got "bumped" up by 5 and then he got into uni.

Saying so, he couldve just been being an idiot and made it all up.

HSC
hairspray said:
Well this is what i heard from him... he sent in some form saying that being captain was "time consuming" so therefore his UAI got "bumped" up by 5 and then he got into uni.

Saying so, he couldve just been being an idiot and made it all up.
A Scholarship maybe or even EAS.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Yeah I am going for it, it's being announced at our school's formal assembly on Tuesday.
I don't mind if I don't get it though, I'm really not expecting it.

sunsettah

HSC
Yeah my friend Rob and I are the 2009 school captains =]

Mind you there's only about 200 kids at this little country school... and only about 18 in my year hehe. I moved here last year from my Sydney school and I was like 0.o where are all the people?

I don't know about extra UAI points for captaincy, sounds a bit dodgy but if your school has something going where the captains perhaps lose a lot of school time or something then it might be credible I guess...

I am doing the Kokoda trek in April, and we have to do hardcore training for it several times a week until the actual trek which goes for two weeks. If my UAI isn't quite as good as I want it, my head teacher of Maths said that a letter is often written to use Kokoda as a reason for a slight lack in home study etc. and is valued as a totally good reason.

So yes <_< I'm quite looking forward to that aspect of it too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)