School Certificate abolished (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Government has announced the abolition of the school certificate. This year's cohort will be the last to complete it.

NSW Government to abolish year 10 certificate (SMH)

THE year 10 School Certificate exam will be scrapped and replaced with another exit credential which reports student achievements up until the time they leave school - whether it is at the end of year 10 or part-way through year 11 or 12.
The NSW government will today announce it will abolish the exam after its future was considered by the cabinet.
The former Labor government had asked the Board of Studies to review the qualification, which is widely considered to be outdated. This year's School Certificate exam - the last - will go ahead from November 7 to 11. Year 9 students will not take it next year.
The NSW Education Minister, Adrian Piccoli, confirmed the exam would be scrapped.
''We have consulted widely with the associations and individual high school principals and teachers who have all agreed it is time to move on from the School Certificate exam,'' he said.
''We hope one of the benefits of scrapping the test is that more students will stay on and complete the HSC [Higher School Certificate]. The HSC is the ultimate credential we want all school students to get.''
Mr Piccoli said a new qualification would report on all student achievements, regardless of whether the student leaves school part-way through year 11 or 12.
He said the decision was made as a result of consultation undertaken by the Board of Studies and with key stakeholder groups representing principals, teachers, parents, and all school sectors.
''The message from stakeholders was that the School Certificate no longer meets the expectation of employers. It has not responded to changes, such as the increase in the school leaving age, and the introduction of NAPLAN testing,'' he said.
''Students who leave school before they complete their HSC deserve a credential which is modern and relevant. Just as importantly, employers want to see a credential which is meaningful to them.''
The NSW Board of Studies has been asked to develop an alternative credential.[...]

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
THE year 10 School Certificate exam will be scrapped and replaced with another exit credential which reports student achievements up until the time they leave school
Oh no, another NAPLAN test!

Which is perhaps even worse.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
was alright, gave an excuse to finish before the rest of the school

mirakon

nigga
HSC
"THE year 10 School Certificate exam will be scrapped and replaced with another exit credential"

so they're replacing sc with another test with a different name? Isn't that rather stupid?

Alkanes

HSC
Lol bullshit. This is what they said last year...

enoilgam

HSC
I reakon they should have kept the school certificate, especially since they are going to replace it with something else. Sure the SC was a waste of time, but I didnt mind it because it was easy and you got an extra month of holidays. This "new exit credential" could end up being much more painful then the SC. Just as the old saying goes "better the devil you know" I guess.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol bullshit. This is what they said last year...
They announced a review back then, there was no decision to abolish it. Also that was a different government.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds to me that the new leaving credential will just report on achievement up to the point you leave. Not a new exam. Certainly not something that everybody proceeding to the HSC will need to take or at all worry about.

EgyptianRage

HSC
they always say its the last then they never end up doing it ...

anne1010

HSC
i think this gets said every single year. "the sc will be abolished".
watch them replace it with a multiple choice based exam to save money

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The Hon Adrian Piccoli MP
Minister for Education
MEDIA RELEASE
Thursday 4 August 2011

GOVERNMENT TO ABOLISH SCHOOL CERTIFICATE

NSW Education Minister, Adrian Piccoli, announced today that the School Certificate will be abolished from 2012.
“The external tests currently administered to all Year 10 students will not continue after this year.
Mr Piccoli said that the decision was made as a result of consultation undertaken by the Board of Studies with key stakeholder groups representing principals, teachers, parents and all school sectors.
“The message from stakeholders was that the School Certificate no longer meets the expectations of employers. It has not responded to changes such as the increase in the school leaving age, and the introduction of NAPLAN testing.
“Students who leave school before they complete their HSC deserve a credential which is modern and relevant. Just as importantly, employers want to see a credential which is meaningful to them.
Mr Piccoli said he had requested the Board of Studies conduct further consultation to make recommendations about an alternative credential.
“Stakeholder groups have given a clear view about some of the key elements that should be investigated further as the basis for a new credential.
“A moderated credential recognising a wider range of student achievement would be more easily understood by employers, fairer and more reliable.
This year’s School Certificate external tests will be conducted on schedule in November 2011.
A copy of the Board’s Discussion Paper, which will form the basis of further consultation with stakeholder groups, is available at: www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/pdf_doc/sc-review-discuss-paper.pdf

http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu....Major-changes-to-School-Certificate-from-2012

xxxzxc

HSC
i dont think the school cert was entirely useless after all it's an external examination right? it would at least mentally prepare us for the HSC regardless of its level of difficulty

michaeljennings

HSC
That period between finishing the SC and starting yr 11 was the bomb. Dont really care that its gone now because it obviously doesnt affect me but its an interesting decision made by the government

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
"THE year 10 School Certificate exam will be scrapped and replaced with another exit credential"

so they're replacing sc with another test with a different name? Isn't that rather stupid?
Agreed!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Eh, I didn't think the SC was useful. And the "exit credential" doesn't sound like a test, rather a Record of Achievement that can be recevied from yr 10 onwards for students who don't sit the HSC. I think that's prob better seeing as you have to stay till you're 17, you might as well get an achievement record then.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Really the teachers would always say the SC was soooo significant and fundamental.. and they would say how 'strict' the conditions were in the exam ffs.

The exam was such a joke... I mean non of the kids in my school would participate and everyone wouldn't care =.=.... Honestly its great they abolished it...
ffs worthless exam i swear......

But i guess its a 'good' trial for harder exams in the future such as pre-lim exams and the hsc. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)