school rankings (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
MarsBarz said:
No, read his entire post again.

Although one mistake in that post: the median UAI is in the 60's, not the 50's (HSC cohort is less than SC cohort).

hehe....Kyroth is a 'she'

elisabeth

HSC
lil lelu said:
no if your from a "disadvantaged" school, you recieve a few more extra uai points because your classed as a rural school. at my school we get an extra 4 marks so if i get 75, my acual mark will be 79!
Ugh, your UAI doesn't change. You can't say your UAI was 79, it just means that the uni cut-offs are lowered by 4 so you, with your 75, could get into a 79 course. Don't include your 'extra UAI points' when you go around bragging about your HSC, people! :cool:

DarkPrince_87

HSC
physician said:
@Kyroth~

I'm unsure as to whether the students get pre- or post- additional point UAI's.

U dont actualy have 5 UAI points added to ur orginal UAI, it just means that u can enter a course that requires a UAI higher than that which u obtained. For example, say u recieved a UAI of 83, and ur EAS application was successful. Rural students will be able to enter a course that requires a UAI of 88, but when u get ur UAI it will say 83 and not 88.
this is true unless you are talking about CSU, they automatically add another 5 UAI points to ur score because u are a rural student, and then u can get another 5 possible bonus UAI points if ur EAS form clears alright....so if u want to get into CSU and ur in a rural school u automatically get 5 free points, and if ur in the low socio-economic group, rural town, deaths in the family and excess family responsibilities....all of which i have i have a good chance of getting another 5 UAI points..........so i could get into a course with a UAI of 80 with only an original UAI of 70

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
There is actually no such thing as a 'school ranking'....such a thing would be very difficult to calculate, and it is a board of studies policy that information will NOT be released that allows the media and others to create 'league tables' because this comprimises many schools.

Also, you couldn't possibly rank schools on UAI because UAIs are only released to individual students, it is not even released to the schools themselves.

The only thing that has really been correctly said in this thread is that if you are placed first overall in internal assessments, you are given the highest moderated exam mark achieved by your class. The rest is determined by relative difference between the ranks and the 'pool of marks' which results from your classes performance in the exam.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Thats a flawed ranking based on band 6's....it doesn't not fully take all marks recieved into account because this information is not made available (band 6's are though)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
elisabeth said:
Ugh, your UAI doesn't change. You can't say your UAI was 79, it just means that the uni cut-offs are lowered by 4 so you, with your 75, could get into a 79 course. Don't include your 'extra UAI points' when you go around bragging about your HSC, people! :cool:
Lol.. you mean the UAI has other uses?

Kyroth***

HSC
Thanks for the corrections guys (though a lot of them are what I said, I just didn't express it very well... :) )

And schools are definatly ranked, because I saw the ranks last year in the paper. (My school beat the private schools!)

JoeysBoy

HSC
Smartie87 said:
Thats incorrect. My principal used to work at the BOS and she said that is so not right.

Say the marks obtained from a legal studies class at one skool amount to 700 from internal assessment. Say this same legal class obtains a total of 850 marks in the real HSC: therefore, the teachers at the school have undermarked the students, and the extra 150 marks are distributed to the students to push their internal assessments up- all school marks and ranks do is determine the spread of students and how far one is above another. So dont listen to all this stuff about 'you get that persons mark' and all that- she said its all BS
What she said did happen at my mum's school in the year 2000 (first year of the new hsc)... might have been 2001... forget... though I'm not sure if it only happened in the extension english class and not in the other courses. The whole situation was screwed up...

I don't think that kinda stuff happens anymore... :rolleyes:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Kyroth*** said:
And schools are definatly ranked, because I saw the ranks last year in the paper. (My school beat the private schools!)

Based on Band 6's only. Not a holistic ranking of overall HSC marks.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Kyroth*** said:
Ok, heres how it works, both schools and extra points...

1. You do your assesments that the school sets.

2. You end up in a big list of students from YOUR school in YOUR course, based on how well you did (ie, your rank).

But, an assesment task at one school may have been more difficult than an assessment at another school. So...

3. You sit the HSC.

4. Your HSC is marked.

5. The internal MARKS are DISCARDED. (Your RANK is NOT.)

6. The top HSC mark (in that course) obtained by your school is determined.

7. The person with the top RANK for INTERNAL assessment recieves THIS MARK as their internal mark (ie, whoever gets the top rank gets the top mark, but this mark is determined by your groups performance in the HSC).

8. The same thing is done for the person with the bottom rank (ie, they get the bottom HSC mark).

9. The rest of the students and given marks that correspond to the positions between these two extreems. If they were very close to the top rank, they will recieve a mark that is such. If they are exactly inbetween, they will recieve a mark as such.

Note that while the actual mark you obtained is discarded, its relevence to other people's marks is not. So if the difference between 2nd and 3rd was very great, it will still be very great.

This means that no matter how easy or hard the assessment tasks your school sets are, the internal mark you recieve is a fair commparrison to the rest of the state. To use the example, this means that if James Ruse sets hard tasks and the students get low scores, but perform well in the HSC, they still get high marks. However, it is not just assumed that they deserve high marks because they go to James Ruse.

11. The internal mark is combined with your HSC mark (scaled and aligned) to produce your final result.

12. These results are ranked, top to bottom.

13. UAI's are given, acording to this rank (top person will get 100, middle with get 50, etc).

14. EAS (Educational Access Scheme) applications are considered.

These are a form filled out by students at the same time they submit their prefferences to UAC. The students state that they have been dissadvantaged during the HSC and give evidence. There are different types, eg Medical, Family, Location, etc.

15. Extra UAI points are awarded to the sucessful students.

This includes 5 extra points for people attending rural schools. This is based on not being able to go to zoos, museums, performances, etc because of distance, time missed from school when such trips are taken, distances traveling to and from school (ie lost study time), limited number of courses available due to numbers, limited competition for able students, limited number of extra ciricular things (eg multi-school study days etc), and a whole pile of other things. I was recently told that if your town doesn't have a public library, you get more points, but I'm not sure if its true.

15. The UAI's are given to students.

I'm unsure as to whether the students get pre- or post- additional point UAI's.

Some uni's (eg Wollongong) also give extra UAI points to their applicants if they meet certain criteria.

16. Schools are ranked based on an average of the UAI's their students recieved.

So yeah, a little long winded, but that's how it works (correct me if I'm wrong!)
Scaling/aligning isnt as simple isnt as simple as equating the highest HSC mark to the internal mark and corressponding marks for the others. It involves complex statistical methods to get to a scaled/aligned mark from the raw marks. This method is not disclosed by the respective authorities so really you will never know how it _really_ works. Everyone jsut speculates whats happening from their observations. These observations arent necessarily correct.

As for the question in the thread, like said, your cohort's performance does matter in the scaling/aligning process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)