School too girly? (1 Viewer)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
I think the fact that we don't think about sex 24/7 has something to do with it.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
what971 said:
I think the fact that we don't think about sex 24/7 has something to do with it.
What an insightful post! Because we all know that men have one-track minds and that women don't like sex!

euripidies

what971 said:
I think that’s quite bigoted.

I’m really surprised about this, sounds like a huge problem.

I was reading a feminists piece the other day about male and female dominated class rooms and the teacher’s gender had a huge effect. Male student are more comfortable with male teachers and females with female teachers. I know my favourite teacher was male and I think we need more male teachers so young boys have role models rather then growing up in a female dominated context.

Also I think bigoted opinions of female chauvinists are accepted in schools. My year 11 English teacher was openly misandrous telling boys they were stupid and girls they were superior. Also at my school teachers spent a lot more one on one time with female students.

I remember once at a teacher parent interview my mother asked my geography teacher why I had gotten a low mark for effort while there was a female student with the same marks as I but with a higher effort mark. His response was she sat there and smiled; I looked like I was bored.

So there might be some affected by brain development but I’ve seen so many other factors that come into play meaning this gap shouldn’t be so large.

I’m not anti-feminism but I think that we’ve focused on Female Issues way to much and ignored male issues.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
agree with VCB. many apprenticeships and trades appeal more to males, since it is a lot of 'hands on', pnysical work, where stereotypically and generally, girls would rather read or write and sit in the class room.

i agree that we do need to have both english and maths, and the belief is that high school will cater for these necessary skills. my argument is that we need to change the advanced english course. wheres the good old grammar or comprehension questions? its pretty much only taught in primary school and perhaps in year 7-8, but not a shred of what real "English". Its all nice and good to talk and discuss about concepts and issues, but if we dont have the basic foundations of english literacy and grammar, then the standard of english essays and extended responses will drop. pretty much every year, in the comments released by the BOS markers commenting upon the standard of candidate responses, many complain about the lack of proper grammar and spelling. SPELLING!

we need to change the hsc syllabus, so that we are more prepared for later life, BEYOND obtaining one number.

The emphasis on 'higher' understanding of English, such as analysing texts and preparing in depth reponses that reflect a degree of mature thinking maybe a relic from the history of the HSC. Originally most people who stayed on to complete the final two years of high school were aiming for a university position, hence the focus on developing skills that may assist during tertiary study. The essence of this has remained unchanged for a long time.
To reintroduce basic spelling and grammar is all well and good, but perhaps overkill. I have never incorrectly spelled a word during a test or an assignment since about year seven or eight (Please do not refer to my BOS spelling because I do not read over that and thus any slip of the keyboard stays). I was not the only person in my year at school who had basic spelling and grammar within my grasp, most of the advanced English class and a fair few people from both standard english.
However, amongst some there was a myriad of poor spelling and grammatical errors. But to reintroduce basic spelling and grammar at a HSC level would be a disservice and a waste of time to those who have already mastered it. Perhaps a remedial class is the best option? Perhaps there should be Advanced English, Standard English and a class for those who cant spell yet (not necessarily a dumber class because some of the brilliant maths students I know couldn't spell).
Though this is not a perfect solution because one of the mid range students from Advanced English (top of maths, physics etc) could not spell all that well.
Finally, if the standards of HSC level English are lowered and the focus removed from higher, more intellectual exercises and returned to the basics, how would anyone gain the necessary analytical, etc, abilities to competently study an arts (for example) degree at university?

BTW: When it comes to the problem of people not having any basic mathematical skills a reflection of our reliance upon calculators. How many people voluntarily do basic problems in their head, or use a pen and paper over a calculator?

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
There is a remedial english class such as the one you speak of. However to do it you must also be doing standard english this combined with the remedial nature creates a cuture of stupidity surrounding it. Also at my old high school it always runs at the same time as maths (of all levels) so if you wanted to do maths you couldn't do remedial english.

st-clares-pride

HSC
I believe it all depends on the student, I have done fairly well at an all girls school, where as my older bro went to bothe co-ed and single sex schools, and in the end he dropped out and got an apprenticeship. He is now topping NSW in his area. It depends on whether you are able to discipline yourself. and what exactly you are interested in and enjoy. It should be the students choice to whether they believe that they will do better in co-ed or single sexed school.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Anglash at an HCS level done learned me nothing. All that I done learned was dat:
The words creative and deconstruction do not and should not ever fit in the same sentence unless you use it like:

"HSC be stupid like an ibis, all they teach you is how much they value your ability to be creative while deconstructing something."

I done no that it is there to make you think a bit harder about what you are reading. To be thinking lateral if you will. But it doesn't work like that. Most of the students (YOU) just take what the teacher be saying and retain it within your grey matter and spill it out like a flood when exams come around.

School should teach you to think, to question, to make your own calls and maybe even teach you to argue. It can't, it done not know how. School teaches you to copy book to head to exam paper with no other thought in the head bone.

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
Oddy Nocki said:
Anglash at an HCS level done learned me nothing. All that I done learned was dat:
The words creative and deconstruction do not and should not ever fit in the same sentence unless you use it like:

"HSC be stupid like an ibis, all they teach you is how much they value your ability to be creative while deconstructing something."

I done no that it is there to make you think a bit harder about what you are reading. To be thinking lateral if you will. But it doesn't work like that. Most of the students (YOU) just take what the teacher be saying and retain it within your grey matter and spill it out like a flood when exams come around.

School should teach you to think, to question, to make your own calls and maybe even teach you to argue. It can't, it done not know how. School teaches you to copy book to head to exam paper with no other thought in the head bone.
despite the piss-take, that's very true and it really pisses me off.

A guy who can't write formally on any other topic but who can spill out text-book responses exactly as they had been told in class can get better marks than someone who thinks about the text, researches more information, writes it all down very well with formal language but doesn't happen to basically copy out slabs of text.

I've observed this both from my own results and from others over the past couple of years.
Schools are teaching the thought pattern of "get it done, pass the exam". They're not concerned with peronal development and actual THINKING. This is also a reason why some first year uni students feel overwhelmed.

I go to an all-boys school and English is the subject almost everyone despises.. It's tedious, it's repetitive and it's, honestly, total BS. Boys don't perform well in English especially because they just don't see the point. They don't care. The texts are also a real turn off (even our English teachers hate the Board of Studies for this shit).

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
there are so more male oriented texts to pick e.g bladrunner and brave new world was pretty good, i enjoyed both

an essay isnt really a textbook response like it is in rote learning classes, its more being told what ideas to use, and then formulating a response in your own words. The fact that teachers arent concerned with thinking isnt their fault, its the board of studies who set up the system to be this way, and teachers cop alot of shit if some stuck up bitches baby doesnt get good marks, society has just become like that people think mark = how good of a person you are and how much you learnt, where it really should be how much you studied and bullshitted on.

my english teacher kinda taught english but is more like life skills really, he didnt teach the syllabus, he taught us how to right damned good essays, and then told us what we haveto write to getgood marks[seen as the HSc is a game anyways] so he gave us the skills we needed for uni, and the marks we needed to get to uni, without all the other time wasting crap other teachers did. I reckon if he wanted to just teach us how to get good marks in the HSC he could have finished the course in 2 months

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
erawamai said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/miranda-devine/a-tangled-web-turns-boys-into-angry-young-men/2005/12/17/1134703643627.html
So what's wrong with the boys? OR is there anything wrong with them? Is Co education good?

Most of the problem seems to stem from the uncoolness of trying hard. A culture of tall poppy and knocking anyone who differs from the norm.

Being a product of a single sex school I wouldn't know what co ed high school was like. My father spotted that I spent most of my time chasing girls at primary school and sent me to a single sex school :p For which I'm greateful.
greateful?

okay, single-sex schooling did wonders:p

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Mr_Shrimp said:
despite the piss-take, that's very true and it really pisses me off.
\
Thank you, I write my own stuff.

This why girls do better, they have the ability to retain more information for longer. I think it could a genetic thing ( to looking out for someone elses well being, you need to be able to retain more then just your name and where your penis is)

Schroedinger I'd like you to clarify this: "The whole system is fucked in my opinion, all the utter bullshit PC-tripe that was forced down our gullets in English. "AMERIKKA IS TEH DEVULLLLL" - in Telling the Truth. Jesus White-Bred Christ."

HotShot

-_-
HSC
well us males, gettting dumber and dumber (accordin to the HSC), and chicks are killin us in just about everything not only english but now slowly maths as well. Now primarily we all the know the HSC is memorisation, just memorise essays, and answers diagrams etc and u kill it, and weknow that chicks have killer memory cells compared to us males.

Thus conclusion the HSC isnt an indication to compared which gender rather is smarter.. cos u will the top students are male. but the average chick will beat the average male.

this trend has only been in the last decade or so , before males were reaasonably gud, this was i believe cos i believe in the HSC it doesnt require quite the amount of memorisation.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
males are smarter, the system is just fucked because feminists get involved and fuck around with the curriculum because before now males used to kill the girls in everything, femminists thought it was because the system was biased towards girls. WRONG

males just have bigger brains, are smarter than females and so ofcourse do better on the real subjects

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=cd5020b6a786aeebf17d5354eced9510

see what i did there? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)