Science Fiction (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Would Enders game be sci fi? l rekpon it would be.

Anyways l liek enders game because its a world unlike our own and it has a really good twist at the end...has anyone else read it?

Generator

HSC
N/A
The only Star Wars books that are worth reading are those from the X-Wing series and 'I, Jedi'. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books are ok, too.

Just an idea for anyone who may have considered reading within the Star Wars universe.

ssj_goku

Is any one else a fan of the Hitchhikers Guide series, or the Dirk Gently series?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
generator, i agree - Michael Stackpole rulz!!!!

i want more of x-wing and i, jedi...

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I've read Enders Game. I didn't know what to think. Kind of bemused actually... and I have read Hitchhikers Guide, but only one, and I don't remember which one. :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of science fiction novels, because some of the longer ones tend to get a bit heavy or boring. And there are some good short stories out there. Anyone read the Nebula Awards showcase/book things? They're ok...

Or, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro? I like some of her stories.

I read Enders Game. I quite enjoyed it and read the following books. I still haven't read the most recent one yet though. I have also read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but I think that would come under comedy.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by PacifistWarrior
I read Enders Game. I quite enjoyed it and read the following books. I still haven't read the most recent one yet though. I have also read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but I think that would come under comedy.
Are the following books worth it? Just out of curiousity. I contemplated reading them, but I wasn't sure whether they would be as interesting as the first. :confused:

Hitchhikers Guide is probably more like one of those subgenres. Comedic Science fiction or something...

is a roflcopter
HSC
enders game is great
the rest of the series are ok too but dont expect the same kinda "WOOAH" feeling that you get from the first one

instead read Enders Shadow, which is like a parallel timeline thingy

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Eh, I might get around to reading them one day then, the urge doesn't seem particularly large right now.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
loved the series. I never read sci fi stuff before... and it was very interesting and hilarious at points. Esp. that depressed robot called.. um Ma something.

Marvin The Paranoid Android.. Hitchhiker's is great, as is The Resturant At The End Of The Universe.. (The following books are also good, although not quite as funny.. And speaking of Adams, 'The Private Life Of Ghengis Khan' cracks me up..)

Managed to acquire a box-set of all five books in the series for $20. ;p (Ah Basement Books..)

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move...

I have an interest in Utopian/Dystopian texts, spurred by my researching and writing my Extension 2 dissertation about the sub-genre.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I tend to read more fantasy than sci-fi, but I found Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series incredibly intriguing.

The concepts involved were very unique, though the plot was a bit dry at times (I enjoy powerful writing). I'd recommend reading the first book in the series for something different.

ssj_goku

"The Private Life of Genghis Kahn" is a great story, especially the ending with Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolongued.

Btw, Gregor, have you read the Dirk Gently series?

Last edited:

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Would Fahrenheit 451 come into science fiction? I thought that book was great.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by PaleReflection
Would Fahrenheit 451 come into science fiction? I thought that book was great.
Yeah, it counts as Science Fiction, within the dystopian sub-genre. Quite the social commentary.

The psychatrist wants to know why I go out and hike around in the forests and watch the birds and catch butterflies..

By the way, haven't read the Dirk Gently series as of yet.

Macross

William Gibson is a must - i liked Idoru the best but it was the second book of a trilogy :(

Although i read it first :p A better known composition would be Neuromancer :)

lengstar

HSC
The New Jedi Order Series from Star Wars is pathetic. i stopped reading Star Wars because of that. they should make more X-wing series or bring in an A-wing series

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
"Do you want me to sit in a corner and rust, or fall apart where I'm standing?"

Etc.

Loved Dirk Gently!

"As lovely as an airport" :D

Anyone read the time... err... watchmen (?) book by Poul Anderson?

Whats the type of book called when it's about the collapse of society/rebuilding society? That's my favourite at the moment and I recommend reading The Day of the Triffids. I read it in year 7 and again in year 9, because I liked it so much. We never had to do it for school, but I know some people did.

I have read recently a book called The Deus Machine, I don't remember who it's by, but it's about AI and genetic manipulation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)