Science in 2004 (1 Viewer)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out

how do u know if uve got in already
i thought they hadnt sent out invites yet
spoke to the people at info day, the criteria are pretty straightforward.

whats special studies chem. btw? is it more advanced then advanced science? :D [/QUOTE]

yep that's exactly what it is. as i understand it, it's available in at least chemistry, maths and physics (presumably others as well. physics doesn't show up in the handbook but they do run it apparently). in chemistry, you have the same lectures as advanced chem students but different lab sessions.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by walla
...yep that's exactly what it is. as i understand it, it's available in at least chemistry, maths and physics (presumably others as well. physics doesn't show up in the handbook but they do run it apparently). in chemistry, you have the same lectures as advanced chem students but different lab sessions.
woah! that must b extra hard- whats the point of doing it anyways? i mean, u'll still get the advanced degree right?

btw, nice quoting. :D

oh i got the letter today

id ont get this
it asks for our areas of interest.
like dont we only do what we applied for?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A

btw, i wish my career's advisor was as good as yours. :s
=) thanQ!!! so flattered *remembers freakin out is only complimentin xiao's career advisor* DOH

and another thing: what course ru doing xiao1985? :)
i am doin b sci (adv math) @ usyd... aprt from i want to do b sci(adv) b comm...

so i am hopin either in late round or transfer 2nd yr...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by worlds greatest
oh i got the letter today

id ont get this
it asks for our areas of interest.
like dont we only do what we applied for?
='( so jealous
letter for tsp yes?? ='( *sobz* *runs off*

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
='( so jealous
letter for tsp yes?? ='( *sobz* *runs off*
don't worry, i didn't get in either...even though i never applied for it. :p

but i do hope that i can b allowed to take some advanced units thought- so i can get B science (advanced) as part of my degree. :eek:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
btw, xiao- can u pls. scan up more of that booklet that u had- coz its very good- so do u have any idea where ya year adviser might have got this from: so i know that the info. is authentic. :D

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
btw, xayma- can u pls. scan up more of that booklet that u had- coz its very good- so do u have any idea where ya year adviser might have got this from: so i know that the info. is authentic. :D
?? wut form is s/he talkin abt, xayma??

abdooooo!!!

Banned
but you can apply for it if you don't get an invite. beg really hard.

whats the point of TSP anyway... you don't get extra credits and is just counted as a normal advanced unit... i mean if you want to learn more just study more by yourself.

anyone know how you can accelerate the completion of the degree?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
abdooooo: A few paths:
Summer-school. Presuming you don't mind going to uni in the holidays AND doing normal subjects, this allows you to fill in some prerequisites.
TSP. A.k.a. skipping prereqs.
Overloading. You CAN enrol into some higher year subjects that don't have prereqs. Or, in the case of combines degrees, do more of your prereqs.

For Special studies programs (SSP), you get:
Maths- an extra seminar and a different tute. Interesting stuff, and adds bonus marks to calculus (up to 5, depending on how you do). NB: At least one of the three assignments (plus a bit of effort in others) should be completed to move on into next semester. *hehehe*
Chem- Yeah, just the separate lab. You will get a separate lab book because you'll do different activities. 2nd semester will have you doing a mini-project you'd normally do in honours chem. ;)
Phys- no ssp last year.
Bio- No ssp last year.
The difference to TSp is that since it is a class stream (you'll see it on your enrolment), you can get kicked out for 2nd semester. Practically speaking, few do and are replaced by students in advanced streams.

Note: That TSP subject preference you filled out and sent in will decide your mentor's chief area of expertise (they're normal research staff). :D Be careful what you wish for. :p
To a certain freakin_out who thought you'd do that 3 year course in 1, the answer is no. You do a lot of science in your engo plus you'll be combining both creds.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
abdooooo: A few paths:
Summer-school. Presuming you don't mind going to uni in the holidays AND doing normal subjects, this allows you to fill in some prerequisites.
TSP. A.k.a. skipping prereqs.
Overloading. You CAN enrol into some higher year subjects that don't have prereqs. Or, in the case of combines degrees, do more of your prereqs.

For Special studies programs (SSP), you get:
Maths- an extra seminar and a different tute. Interesting stuff, and adds bonus marks to calculus (up to 5, depending on how you do). NB: At least one of the three assignments (plus a bit of effort in others) should be completed to move on into next semester. *hehehe*
Chem- Yeah, just the separate lab. You will get a separate lab book because you'll do different activities. 2nd semester will have you doing a mini-project you'd normally do in honours chem. ;)
Phys- no ssp last year.
Bio- No ssp last year.
The difference to TSp is that since it is a class stream (you'll see it on your enrolment), you can get kicked out for 2nd semester. Practically speaking, few do and are replaced by students in advanced streams.

Note: That TSP subject preference you filled out and sent in will decide your mentor's chief area of expertise (they're normal research staff). :D Be careful what you wish for. :p
To a certain freakin_out who thought you'd do that 3 year course in 1, the answer is no. You do a lot of science in your engo plus you'll be combining both creds.
wow, there's so much out there to do- i guess i'll just stick to the advanced subjects, i'm not 1337 enuf to tackle special studies or TSP. :eek:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
btw, xiao- can u pls. scan up more of that booklet that u had- coz its very good- so do u have any idea where ya year adviser might have got this from: so i know that the info. is authentic. :D
soz, freakin_out... i just scaned those related figures from the booklet... i fink that's all the graphical/table reprsentation in it any way... but i can try and steal *cough* from my career advisor again... if i eva go bak to my school for a visit...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
soz, freakin_out... i just scaned those related figures from the booklet... i fink that's all the graphical/table reprsentation in it any way... but i can try and steal *cough* from my career advisor again... if i eva go bak to my school for a visit...
ok sure- thanx mate. :D ;)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Doing a B Science, I really wanted to get into BSc (Nutrition) but the UAI jumped a few points higher than I would of liked lol.

Hopefully I'll be able to transfer at 2nd year into nutrition, or med science if I decide to do that instead.

The only thing I'm worried about in BSc is the biology stuff.. I didn't do biology for HSC and I didn't elect for any bridging courses. And the 4 adv maths subjects, hope they don't break the work load barrier for me, I don't wanna turn into a complete study nut! :D

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Doing a B Science, I really wanted to get into BSc (Nutrition) but the UAI jumped a few points higher than I would of liked lol.

Hopefully I'll be able to transfer at 2nd year into nutrition, or med science if I decide to do that instead.

The only thing I'm worried about in BSc is the biology stuff.. I didn't do biology for HSC and I didn't elect for any bridging courses. And the 4 adv maths subjects, hope they don't break the work load barrier for me, I don't wanna turn into a complete study nut! :D
lolz, coolz!!! all adv math subjects... ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)