Science Limit? (1 Viewer)

dogdogdog

HSC
Hi Guys Just a question

why is it that theres a limit on the amount of science subjects u can have? (is it 6)

if u say that its cos "oh, its so that u dont have a really specific hsc that doesnt go across the board and get a broad range of subjects", then why does in not apply with the social sciences cos they offer a lot more subjects than science

i was just wondering...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
A maximum 6 UNITS of Science will count towards your UAI. Meaning you could do as many Sciences as you want, but not all of them will count.
Do not question the government.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not just your HSC if you do more than 6units of Science you won't even get a HSC. I think they put a limit on the sciences because you potentially only do 10units of Science.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
his argument is that u can just do social sciences and english and is questioning why that is allowed
bus+legal+eco+geo+eng

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Because the mother-focking Board of Studies wants to de-Asianise the Universities, by making the subjects more Aussie-friendly.

Take a look around, more Australians do Social Sciences(English based subjects) rather than actual Sciences. They're making actual Sciences more and more English based as well.

There goes our multi-culturalist country.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
his argument is that u can just do social sciences and english and is questioning why that is allowed
bus+legal+eco+geo+eng
I'm pretty interested in that too. Maybe it's because the social sciences don't intertwine as much as sciences? I mean... if you did senior science in addition to the 3 major science subjects, you'd pretty much own everybody.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
The social sciences are much broader and diverse. The sciences are, well, all sciences...

Cerry

HSC
There's lots more overlap in sciences than there is in social sciences. The chem syllabus has a lot in common with physics, and to a lesser degree, biology (although, there's an elective called the biophysics of movement, which has lots of bio stuff in it), and I'm pretty sure that bio and earth and environmental science have a lot of the same content, too. And those 4 courses, plus English, could make up your entire HSC.
Most of the social sciences touch on others from time to time, but it's not on the same level as sciences. A chemical equation is the same in every science, and means the same thing. Because social sciences are a lot more open to interpretation, it's not all so black and white, and things can mean totally different things in different contexts.

-maddie-

HSC
I see no problem with only allowing 6 units of science. When doing the maximum amount, plus maths and english it makes up 10 units anyway.

Paj20

HSC
youngminii said:
Because the mother-focking Board of Studies wants to de-Asianise the Universities, by making the subjects more Aussie-friendly.

Take a look around, more Australians do Social Sciences(English based subjects) rather than actual Sciences. They're making actual Sciences more and more English based as well.

Good!

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Paj20 said:
lol.

although, i'm an aussie through and through, and i hate social sciences & english, and i'm crap at them. so i agree that it's unfair that is has a limit on what sciences you can do, and we have to do english as well. have one or the other. but hey. just do maths. then you've got ten units no problems.

dogdogdog

HSC
thanks for your comments

i agree with what you said, that the sciences overlap a little bit

But i still think there should be no restriction and if you want a hsc in bio, chem, ees, phys, maths and eng then you should be allowed to go ahead

Bloody idiots then go on to try and place emphasis on the science industry to boost job numbers, but how are uni students meant to come through if kids cant do science?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Aha yeah, there should be no limit at all.

It's stupid, but i wouldn't do all of the sciences even if i could, i'd drive myself insane :)

dogdogdog

HSC
How could science drive you insane?

i think that science is a great area, cos you learn about the real world and it lets you appreciate what we have.

Like in english im doin gwen harwood and she talks about this "temporal world" stuff.

Why should we try to learn about a world that we can only conspicuate about?

I think we should learn about the one we actually live in first, and be allowed to learn about it as much as we want without the government stepping in.

H4rdc0r3

HSC
dogdogdog said:
Hi Guys Just a question

why is it that theres a limit on the amount of science subjects u can have? (is it 6)

if u say that its cos "oh, its so that u dont have a really specific hsc that doesnt go across the board and get a broad range of subjects", then why does in not apply with the social sciences cos they offer a lot more subjects than science

i was just wondering...
because fobs aren't welcome.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
youngminii said:

I'm sorry but science =/ asian. Sciences are scaled way higher than social sciences, so I don't see why you're complaining. And what's wrong with learning more English?

Anyway to answer your question, the HSC also states that to be eligible for a UAI you must have -at least- 3 different courses, or something along those lines.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well, I think it is fair. I mean, we want some diversity in people's subjects.

As Aplus mentioned, there are much more variation in humanities subjects.

I reckon banning English as an UAI-compulsory would be the best. :p (omg, I just dropped a atomic bomb of debate! It will start the chain reaction of debate!)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
they should remove the science limit

and make at least 1 science compulsory :santa:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Will Shakespear said:
and make at least 1 science compulsory :santa:
This would not work at all. I mean, 2 units of English are already compulsory and if you make it compulsory to do one science course, then that's going to be 4 units (including English) out of the 10 units which will be counted towards your final HSC marks and UAI. However, I know that science will never be made compulsory, so my argument is unnecessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)