Science: Practical Assessment (1 Viewer)

Peteage

HSC
I am an 75-85% science student, but this year we had two practical assessments for Biology and I got 30-40% in both of them, my ranking really suffered for it as you can imagine.

It is a type of assessment I am not use to and I clearly struggle with them, we don’t have any more for biology this year but in physics I also have to do two of them. I am very satisfied with my physics rank so far and I would hate to lose is because of my lack in ability to do practical assessments and in the long run would hate even more get a poor in my HSC for the same reason.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to perform well in practical assessments, or know of any study guides which do just that?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well I haven't done my prac assessments yet but do you know why you got so low ? Identify those factors and then find a way to improve on them. Do you understand the pracs ? I think paying attention when you are doing pracs in class may help.

Zephyrio

HSC
Hey,

Funnily enough, I do very well in chemistry practical reports but for the major one I had to do for bio, the field research thing, I got 58% which severely demoralised me, caused my rank to suffer, and hence Zephyrio will not be undertaking the course for year 12. =) (The average for the prac report was 59% LOL)

Major prac reports seem to be quite different from your normal ones, and I can only suggest asking your teacher and possibly showing him/her drafts. It really depends on your teacher and the nature of your assessment; for example, one teacher in my school LOVES long long looooooong practical reports while another likes to keep it short and simple. Follow the criteria you have been given for your assessment and do your best - after all, the best is all you can ask of yourself. But make the most out of your resources and have multiple drafts... and I'm sure you'll do well. Flunking biology doesn't mean flunking another science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)