Science: Student research project, any ideas? (1 Viewer)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC

This is the first major project for yr 10's, although we have more than a month to complete it, I'm just wondering if any past yr 10ers have any experiments which have been successful to share with me. All I need is advice from successful experiments and as there are many restrictions imposed on this project, I would like to hear of some ideas. Is there anything vital that I should include in the project?

thanks , anonymous

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
This is a pretty simple one: does light affect the growth of bean seedlings?

HSC
Hint: Lots of ideas are just one Google search away... ;)
Hell yeah there are tons of American sites with suggestions for all of their 'science fairs' and the like which will give you a ton of ideas in detail.

My advice is to do something simple that you understand, that way in the actual experiment you have less room for error.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
To get 100, answer the following;

Is empiricism the foundation for the endless development of nihilism in our contemporary world?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
To get 100, answer the following;

Is empiricism the foundation for the endless development of nihilism in our contemporary world?
Ha! If you could answer that question, you would be classified as pure genius, beyond human capability.

HSC
We had to do that in year nine... I did the old why does diet coke float in water and normal coke sinks.
Don't do that one whatever you do: I got pretty crap marks for the structure of the experiment

My friend did what types of soil affect the growth of seeds (eg. tea leaves, gravel, coffee ground, etc) and she got top marks, so something that you can properly measure and construct a good experiment on would be a good idea

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
You could get a wide variety of metals and create different environments for them, and see which of them corrode first.

E.g. Iron, Magnesium, Copper, And have water, salt water, air, vinegar (acidic environment)

Schoey93

HSC
You could get a wide variety of metals and create different environments for them, and see which of them corrode first.

E.g. Iron, Magnesium, Copper, And have water, salt water, air, vinegar (acidic environment)
pffffffffftttttttttt

what a stupid idea. BORING. :confused:

Schoey93

HSC
It's absolutely vital for the project that you analyse what you did and why you did it. Take photos, explain what they are of, jot down a few point about the entire process. :)

mxmrs

HSC
are there any excitingly fun ones, like my friend did comparing m&m's to smarties but she didn't get very good marks for it...

but yeah something along the lines of a fun one to do :)

x

occer

HSC
N/A
I think that we did a physics one, it was picked by the school. How a variable on an incline plane effects velocity (i.e height).

Unless that was another Science SC thing, we've done about 3 now.

klaris

HSC
I done mine in year 9 and you don't have to be really good at science to get a good mark. Personally, I'm not that good at science, I think its the most boring subject there is but I still got nearly 100% (74/75) because all you have to do is choose a topic, set it out like an experiment, do cause and effect, problems, irritations and all the stuff and you're good to go. My topic was the different effects shampoo have on my hair, so for my experiment all I done was wash my hair and then take pictures, explaining whether the shampoo made my hair oily/shiny/notty etc

If you need help picking a topic then one like choosing how long it takes for bread to go moudly is a really simple one, just take pictures everyday and stuff. Real simple.

Hope this helps.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Mine was also done in year 9. I did "To what extent do design variations affect the performance of parachutes." My design variations were: numbers of strings attached, if holes were in the parachute and surface area. It was a bit of a pain to make the parachutes but a lot of fun dropping them from a 3 storey buiding and using pythagoras to work out the diagonal distance covered ^^

robgooden333

HSC
We only get like 3 weeks to complete ours. So im doing the effects of various environmental conditions on the growth of mould of bread.

aya-chan

HSC
ooh. SRP. I remember that.

I did some experiment on different stuff to prevent charcoal from smudging. Especially comparing hairspray and fixative. anyway, it didn't work out THAT well ... but you go to baulko yeah? Just make sure you write up your report well. Make sure you mention everything they tell you to mention. Just cover everything. And you'll be fine. I should know ... I got full marks.

geekygirl93

HSC
i have no idea what i'm going to do ??? i want to do something interesting but not too complicated but obviously that isn't a good combination!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lol I did: Effect of light on growth of seedlings.

My experiment was CRAP. I failed so many times so I ended up making my own results out. I got 30/50 =(

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Should do something like

"How does the wavelength of light affect plant growth"

Simply just get a few pots, put a few seeds in each, wrap with different coloured cellophane (acts like a wavelength filter), put some holes in it so that our good ole friend Oxygen can get into it and leave in the Sun :)

Measure rate of growth over a period of a couple weeks and there you go

Pretty simple, sounds quite interesting

Got all the variables, can have a control group, etc...

That's the example i did with my year 10's (top class) about 5 of them are using it and we'll see in 2 weeks when it is due if it went alright :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)