• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scientia scholarships (1 Viewer)

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Anyone else joining the ranks at the law faculty? I imagine it'd be the most crowded faculty for the recipients, since the UAI is so high already and it's not offered for medicine...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
flamearrows said:
Anyone else joining the ranks at the law faculty? I imagine it'd be the most crowded faculty for the recipients, since the UAI is so high already and it's not offered for medicine...
as i said to mr ~ RencH ~, good luck getting a 80 average during 4th, 5th year... :)

but someone's gotta do it :p

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Frigid said:
as i said to mr ~ RencH ~, good luck getting a 80 average during 4th, 5th year... :)

but someone's gotta do it :p
Believe me, I almost took ANU up for this fact. I'm personally more worried about 3rd year since Law seems to come in with a vengeance and finishing up the commerce degree...

not to mention "Access to higher level courses" :burn:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
flamearrows said:
Believe me, I almost took ANU up for this fact. I'm personally more worried about 3rd year since Law seems to come in with a vengeance and finishing up the commerce degree...

not to mention "Access to higher level courses" :burn:
at least u'll get the first two, maybe three years. that's $20K-30K. quite a lot.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Frigid said:
at least u'll get the first two, maybe three years. that's $20K-30K. quite a lot.
Mum managed a HD average for the last two years. Can't be that bad.

Also, going to UNSW is worth to me... um, -$1000. New college = $11k, and I don't have anywhere else to live.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Haha.
Yep. I'm slightly worried about getting a WAM of 80 in 4th and 5th Yr. Maybe it won't be so bad though. :rolleyes:
What will happen if there are only 2 or 3 scholars left after the 5 years? lol :p

Flamearrows: I'm guessing you're doing Com/Law? I wonder if there'll be a Scientia's gathering at the uni some time in the next five weeks...

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Haha.
Yep. I'm slightly worried about getting a WAM of 80 in 4th and 5th Yr. Maybe it won't be so bad though. :rolleyes:
What will happen if there are only 2 or 3 scholars left after the 5 years? lol :p

Flamearrows: I'm guessing you're doing Com/Law? I wonder if there'll be a Scientia's gathering at the uni some time in the next five weeks...
Yup, with a major in finance.

I get the distinct impression that the recipients of these scholarships are going to be herded into one little elite group, so I imagine so...

stamos

sellout
HSC
all the co-op scholars have their little clique with social events, so you're probably right

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
stamos said:
all the co-op scholars have their little clique with social events, so you're probably right
Although, co-ops will have night lectures when they're on IT, so they've got no choice :p Scientias are pretty much free to do anything :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hey flamearrows, have you heard anything from the uni about the Scientia? Apparently we were meant to get info on the scholarship once we enrolled, but nothing yet so I'm just wondering...

EDIT: And something slightly unrelated, but have you got any info in the mail about the Premier's Awards - supposedly, we're meant to get tickets or something :confused:

Last edited:

Abtari

HSC
rench,

scientia scholarships are automatic upon enrolment, so as long as you have enrolled, then, you should be getting it as a fortnightly payment once uni begins, i would imagine..

as for the get-together, i have no idea, not heard anything..

it sucks how its not for medicine.. anyone know any course remotely related to B Medicine at unsw??.. apart from medical science? i can't believe there's no:

pharmacy
nursing
radiography
nuclear medicine
physiotherapy

... argh!!!

what courses are the scientia scholars doing??? and yes, how are u gonna maintain 80 average over the duration of your course?? :eek:

ace

is retired
HSC
Abtari said:
rench,
what courses are the scientia scholars doing??? and yes, how are u gonna maintain 80 average over the duration of your course?? :eek:
One would assume if you've got a scientia scholarship (UAI >=99.9) maintaining an 80% average wouldn't be too hard. I also guess whoever the sponsors backing the scholarships are, would want to make sure there money is going towards individuals that are committed (Even if it means, threatening them with the 80% requirement)

Is Scientia like co-op, where if you have not met requirements and your still before a certain year, if you get kicked out you have to pay back any monies given to you?

Sunny, you can probably answer this "if you get kicked out from co-op do you have to pay back money, I heard Yes if its before your 2nd industrial placement, but that's from heresay, could you check whatever documentation on co-op stuff you have".

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Ace: No, you don't have to pay back and money, and there's bugger all formal conditions... the only thing is the average, with money being paid into a nominated account after March 31st (census). I'm applying for a cash advance because I'm reasonably screwed as a result of New College's payment schedule, so hopefully that will go through okay.

Abtari: Yeah, but we were supposed to get documentation and such... I thought it was just me and our crappy postal service :/

Rench: I've got zero further information on the premier's thing... just a matter of rocking up, I expect. I'm just hoping for free food (the food at the scientia thing was delicious!)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
flamearrows said:
Rench: I've got zero further information on the premier's thing... just a matter of rocking up, I expect. I'm just hoping for free food (the food at the scientia thing was delicious!)
Hehe, yea UNSW always provides excellent food - I'm guessing you went to that VC's Morning Tea thing about a month back where they had huge wraps and pastries... :D

As for 80%, well :p - I guess I'll just take it as it comes. Afaik, with the Scientia, it's "renewed" each semester but you don't have to pay back any money if you don't meet the 80% WAM.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Abtari said:
it sucks how its not for medicine.. anyone know any course remotely related to B Medicine at unsw??.. apart from medical science? i can't believe there's no:

pharmacy
nursing
radiography
nuclear medicine
physiotherapy

... argh!!!
Well, imo if you really would like to practise as a doctor it'd be best to do an MBBS despite being ineligible for the Scientia.

Abtari said:
Well, I asked someone about this. Apparently, UNSW expects ~25-30 students to accept the Scientia and the vast majority of these students will be doing Law (primarily with Commerce or Arts).

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Okay, so who just got their email and mentor?

[If my mentor and your mentor had a fight, mine would win. Just, why maths?]

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Haha.

Are you sure its a WAM of 80 that must be maintained? Although I didn't take up the Scientia Scholarship, I thought I remember the documentation saying a GPA, not a WAM, of 80% was required...

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
c_james said:
Are you sure its a WAM of 80 that must be maintained? Although I didn't take up the Scientia Scholarship, I thought I remember the documentation saying a GPA, not a WAM, of 80% was required...
The documentation says "maintain a satisfactory academic record (a minimum of 80%)". I would assume average.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I just take it to be a mid-D average.

Btw. you got your mentor already flamearrows? Hmm, I still haven't heard anything :p - I wonder if we all get the same mentor (??)

c_james - I presume you're going to USyd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)