Scientists Study Speaking in Tongues (1 Viewer)

aussiechica7

HSC
Scientists Study Speaking in Tongues
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that there may be a neurological parallel...

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that there may be a neurological parallel between what worshipers believe about the speaking-in-tongues experience and what actually transpires in the brain, The New York Times reported. Scientists took brain images from five healthy, active, churchgoing women as they were speaking in tongues and as they were singing. Comparing the two images, the researchers discovered that the women’s frontal lobes—the willful, thinking part of the brain—were quiet, as were the language centers, indicating something else was in control, the Times reported. “The amazing thing was how the images supported people’s interpretation of what was happening,” said Dr. Andrew B. Newberg, the lead researcher and director of the university’s Center for Spirituality and the Mind. “The way they describe it, and what they believe, is that God is talking through them.” Scans of people practicing meditation differed sharply. Newberg found that during meditation the frontal lobe was more active. The findings were published in the journal Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging.
Cameron Fisher/ Azusa Street Centennial

http://www.charismamag.com/news/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

aussiechica7

HSC
"the researchers discovered that the women’s frontal lobes—the willful, thinking part of the brain—were quiet"

Please note that this refers to one aspect of a religious practice- i.e. speaking in tongues which is where they believe that God is speaking through them (which wouldn't be true if the willful thinking parts of their brains were speaking).

Its like human relationships. There are the times when we use our heads (reason) and the time where we use our hearts (emotion). To have a healthy marriage, for example, you would need both. Perhaps it is similar with religion? Afterall, many Christians define their religion as actually being a "relationship" with God? And what does a relationship need? Communication, backwards and forwards. So perhaps this is an example of communication, from God to person, speaking to the heart, if not necessarily to the head?

Just putting it out there.

Uncle Jonny

HSC
Its a load of religious bullshit that noone wants to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Read the article about the study and you will realise it's actually a scientific rationalisation of a religious phenomenon. It's about as religious as evolution is. The post afterwards is not and you are entirely free to debate that post, as long as you refrain from personal attacks. :)

Quit being so intolerant. Simply because you do not care for religion gives you no right to start bashing it.

Feel free to debunk religion logically all you like, however.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
“The amazing thing was how the images supported people’s interpretation of what was happening,”
It's perhaps worth pointing out that while the brain scans may be relatively consistent with the people's interpretation that 'god is talking through them' it is equally consistent with the hypothesis that some undetectable force/being/object 'X' (with whatever consistent set of properties you wish to ascribe it) is controlling their speech. That we prefer (or perhaps desire) the god explanation seems, to me, to be a poor reason to rank the god hypothesis above others.

aussiechica7

HSC
The article doesn't make any conclusions at what is causing the phenomenon, merely points out that the discovery is consistent with what the ladies believe. It in no way implies that the ladies' beliefs are valid, only that they are not contradicted. What KFunk said is correct- the article does not lend itself to explanation A over explanation B.

People always argue that you can't "falsify" religious beliefs, i.e. you can't provide something that will prove it false because there will always be another explanation. What intrigued me about this article is that it in a way attempted to falsify the ladies' beliefs and did not. It came to the conclusion that EITHER the ladies' beliefs are correct or they are not. However, it did not come to the conclusion that the ladies' beliefs MUST be incorrect.

I'm interested in both science and religion and thought perhaps other people on this thread would be as well. It turned out most people were more interested in witty comments about sex.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Thread has been moved here and re-opened in L&O.

Some posts have been edited to suit the guidelines of the NCAP forum.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
aww you deleted my post :( ok heres a serious reply

Ive heard a few people speaking tongues [males aswell] and it sounds lovely, all calming and stuff, maybe it has something to do with meditation. A conclusion like 'god causes it' well thats not logical so iam going with something like certain language parts of the brain [wernickes area maybe] receive either reduced or increased bloodflow during the stupor inducing effects of meditation, causing the person to speak gibberish.

aussiechica7

HSC
Serius, thanks for the serious post :). Yes, what you're saying could be correct (even though the studied differentiated it from meditating- but that's not important). It could just be physical.

I'm interested in how vs. why ideas. I.e. let's assume what these woman saying is correct- its God speaking through them. That's cool, that explains the "why" (and this "why" is not necessarily open to scientific investigation). However, increased bloodflow to the brain, etc., could be the "how".

Just curious- where did you hear people speaking in tongues? In a church somewhere?

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
A few times in a church, once at school and another time at a friends house when he had an epiphany. These people were my friends, they wouldnt be trying to trick me like that, i am quite sure that they atleast THOUGHT they were having a connection with god and speaking his language. How thats done is another matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)