SCIF1021 Advanced Science Seminar (1 Viewer)

notaphysicist

HSC
N/A
I'm doing a BSc parttime. By the end of next year I'll will have completed 24 units of level one courses and will need to declare a major. I originally intended to major in physics. But since then I've seen the BSc(Advance Science) Mathematical Physics - PHYSE13972 study program and realized that's what I want to do. I'm just going to follow it and see what happens. Everything I've done so far will fit that.

My question revolves around SCIF1021 Advanced Science Seminar.

I've read the sticky post on the little difference between the advanced science degree and the science degree. But, I'd still like to transfer over to the advanced degree if I can at the end of next year. But my grades may not be good enough so I may end up doing SCIF1021 when I don't need to (its part of program on all the advanced science degrees).

But what is SCIF1021? The only time I can do it is semester one next year, before I find out if I can transfer over the advanced science degree. And if I don't transfer over, do I want to do SCIF1021 at all?

I can't find any useful info on the unit.

So what say'th the wise souls on this board?

Note:

I understand that at some point I will need to go fulltime to finish the advance science degree (honors is fulltime).

EDIT:

After reading
http://community.boredofstudies.org...dvanced-science-major-blah-could-reality.html
I'm thinking a double degree may be the better option.

Last edited:

Freshmex

Stapler Donator.
HSC
It's the most fun you'll ever have. It's laidback and awesome.

Basically it's learning ways of learning, interviewing fellow students, yourself, and real-working scientists. I loved it.

Tim035

HSC
It's a useless waste of HECs, do a double degree

Bourne05

HSC
SCIF is basically a lot of group activities and discussions. I remember having to interview a fellow classmate and a scientist. I think most of the activities are designed to take you out of your comfort zone. I found it kind of a bludge. I don't know how it is if you chose to do the physics/maths stream but I did the biology stream and it consisted of lectures from various scientists on their area of expertise + a group presentation. The best thing was there was no test, just an essay about what you have learnt from doing SCIF. All in all, I found it quite interesting because it was so much different to my normal classes. You should give it a go and if you don't like it you could always drop it.

P.S. Julian is a crack up!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
It's the most fun you'll ever have. It's laidback and awesome.

Basically it's learning ways of learning, interviewing fellow students, yourself, and real-working scientists. I loved it.
His description is accurate, but I form the opposite opinion to this man. It is all those things which made it by far the least enjoyable, least useful subject I've ever done at uni. I suppose on some level it was interesting doing it in 4th year -- I could really see what a crock it was.

But with that said, it's fairly good for a WAM boost. I got 83 and put in like, no effort. Bit of effort would be an easy HD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)