Scorptec pc rediculously overpriced? (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The Scorptec stinger has gotten alot of excellent reviews lately, its supposed to be a very good gaming pc for under 4k, so i decided to go check it out
http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?sysid=76

What i found out is that
a) most people are paying for alot of shit they wont need
b) its rediculously overpriced

I looked up the exact same parts and worked out i could put it togther for 1k less

To be fair i didnt include alot of stuff because i allready had them [e.g keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers windows xp] but most gamers would allready have this shit anyways

The exact figure was $2800 which is very reasonable for even a moderate gaming pc. Alot more could be saved by getting rid of useless shit
e.g 2 DVD burners - completely pointless, i dont even burn dvds let alone need 2 burners.[and they are expensive than a standard one]

brand loyalty - cheaper hardrives can be found than western.
Ram - they offered an option to change your ram from 1GB[2x512] to 2GB[1x1GB] for an extra 240$...the thing is i found the exact same ram for 280$ total, not an extra gig for 240$ - total rip

I could save even more money on shit that doesnt go out of date e.g sound cards, USB drives, ethernet ports and just canablise them from my PC

What a joke, fuck scorp tech, iam building a stinger myself and using thr 1000$+ i saved on beer.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
While I agree that there is a lot of premium involved with brand name and prestige (eg Alienware can be 2k above what it really cost), there are some things you need to realise.

The RAM used is CAS2. The $280 will get you 3-3-3-8. OK given that for an extra $35 or so you can get CAS2, but you should be aware of the differences. If you're building it yourself I suggest you get the 2-2-2-5 instead of the 2-3-3-6 that they offer.

And why would people have a spare copy of WinXP hanging around? It's a total waste of money if it's not going to be installed. Plus most people tend to get an entirely new system, that means keyboard, monitor, mouse etc, the works.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ahhhh yeah what he said, thats what i was gonna do....cause like no illegal copies of anything over here.

And i dont know about you, but i have never ever bought the works for my computer, i always buy one peicemeal

Yeah i also rarely buy a new computer, i prefer to just upgrade hardcore-lyke

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Serius said:
Yeah i also rarely buy a new computer, i prefer to just upgrade hardcore-lyke
The irony in this is that you are anything but so when it comes to computers.

Legham

HSC
Templar said:
And why would people have a spare copy of WinXP hanging around? It's a total waste of money if it's not going to be installed. Plus most people tend to get an entirely new system, that means keyboard, monitor, mouse etc, the works.
I have two copies of XP lying around and one of XP Pro. Im not an organized kind of person so when i format one of the computers in here it's handy to have a few copies lying around. I'm never gonna have to go buy one.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You just reuse the old one and ring them, it works fine.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Guys keep it legal. We don't want mods to start shutting threads down.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
I looked up the exact same parts and worked out i could put it togther for 1k less
Where did you spec the parts from?

Serius said:
To be fair i didnt include alot of stuff because i allready had them [e.g keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers windows xp] but most gamers would allready have this shit anyways
So you DIDN'T look up "the exact same parts" then did you?

Don't forget this is a high end system of course you can save money by getting rid of things or using lesser parts.

WD drives are amongst the cheapest i've found, show me another brand that is cheaper? The last terrabyte of storage I bought was WD $ per gig was the best from WD. DVD burners expensive?

yes you could probably find cheaper doing it yourself but hey for the specs i'd say you'd be hard pressed to find similar in harvey norman or other "normal" retail stores in that price range or even availability. Who says they have to be the cheapest? the reviews don't say "cheapest option" anywhere, unreasonable expectations from you perhaps, go into Harvey Norman and spec out a "gaming" system.

Compare apples to apples and post each identical individual component as priced from MSY to see how much cheaper it would be :) Don't just say they are a rip off and then start putting holes in your argument by saying you didn't include this or that and used lower quality parts etc.

Oh yeah, not included the monitor? You think that LCD is worth 50bucks? no wonder you got in under a thousand cheaper haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)