Screwed over? (1 Viewer)

fromsobi

HSC
Hypothetically if a person in a top 30 school doesn't perform well throughout the year, say ranked in the bottom third for all subjects, is it still possible to get an atar above 85 considering raw assessment marks are around the 65 average?

Also, what kind of exam marks would be needed to achieve this? 90+?

lawstu

HSC
Whoa, dude, that person faces a steep challenge. I sat the HSC ages ago, and this isn't something that has stuck with me over the years. I remember having moderation / scaling / matching to me. That's been archived too.

That person probably requires solid 80s or 90s. It really depends on what subjects that person does and how the rest of the state performs, y'know.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Top 30 as in close to 30th or top thirty as in closer to the 'better' end?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, my friend who was ranked last at a top 30 school did nothing and got a 99 ATAR. Is that what you want to hear?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You are in a position much luckier than many students with your school rank-however it's rare for people to magically pull out great externals unless they completely change their work ethic/are naturally intelligent and it was all on a lack of effort. And changing a work ethic, doesn't normally happen in a snap.

You can improve a lot with your externals, but miracles don't suddenly appear out of externals.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Exactly what I needed. Strongsarcasm/10

Close to 30th
As an ex-Normo (which is something like 26th from last year I think), it's hard to imagine anyone from the bottom ranks in my cohort being able to have managed an ATAR above 85. Considering that quite a few ranked in the lower 30% of the cohort had ATARs just over 80 and some in the higher 70s, I think the person ranked in the bottom 3 ranks would have some serious study to do. Of course if you absolutely blitz the externals (which is achievable, especially for someone in a top 30 school) you have a good chance. Just don't give up and go nuts! They're the last high school exams you have, might as well make them memorable in a positive result way :) If you don't make the 85 you want, you can at least be satisfied that you tried your best, albeit too late.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
You see it a million times at this time of the year where people say "I did terrible throughout the year, but if I ace my externals can I get a decent ATAR". Honestly, it is probably the most widely used line on BoS, but it really is easier said than done. Old habits die hard and if you have been unmotivated for the majority of the year, it's unlikely that you are going to suddenly change with a month or so to go. Besides, you will have to catch-up on what you have missed which will make your workload even more significant than someone who has put in the work throughout the year. The HSC is about consistency and most people who do well have been consistent throughout the whole year. It is very rare to find people who have bummed around for the whole year and then suddenly come up good in the externals.

I'm not saying that it cant be done and I'm not saying that people should give up. However, you have to be realistic - it is extremely difficult to jump from doing nothing to putting in the enormous amount of effort required to overcome a nearly a years worth of doing poorly

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)