Scurvy the new scourge of uni life (1 Viewer)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
It costs 30 for the card? That sucks!
Hehe I will be back at Sweethearts working from next weekend... every time I go home to work dad has changed something at the shop. The Bended is alright eh? I went there for the first time when I was home at xmas and it wasn't bad... before that we only really had the Globe and the Termo. So sad the Termo burnt down!! That's where I had my 18th, they had the best beer garden! Fond memories of my underage friends and their plans to hide in the toilets while security checked IDs! Cactus bar beer garden is ok in summer, so is the star except it closes so early. There is nothing in Wodonga, and the La Trobe campus is in the middle of nowhere!! Are you going home in the holidays?
yah, I have to fork out before I get my student concession.
Everyone from albury always says how they miss the termo lol. Its still itting there too, all half burnt down and stuff, you'd think they'd have started rebuilding or something by now but they havent.
Wodonga is like.... the lowest of the low lol. I wish la trobe was in albury instead...

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That's a complete lie, my great uncle owns one of those nursing homes and you don't need a degree to become a cleaner/caretaker there.
No i don't suppose you would. Only I've never sen any adds in the paper for jobs there, and I look every day.
But hey, if you hear of any jobs, let me know :)
Oh and it wasn't a lie, I just didnt think of cleaning jobs and whatnot ok. Honestly, its as if you have an obsession with calling me a liar...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
there is one guy who lives in his car
i see him asleep every morning wen i get there at 7:45am asleep in the same car in the same spot, every day

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Know what's even sadder? They're still pulling more money out of Uni's and Ab/Austudy.

But I was more fascinated with the olympic torch-relay ad. Anyone else get the one that looked like a wristy?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If you want proof about the lack of jobs in Albury Wodonga, you should look in the Border Mail every day and see what is advertised.... there is like, nothing. Mostly only full time positions that require previous experience most uni students wouldn't have. You only find a job in Albury through connections and even then it is tough. The nursing homes probably hire full time cleaners, you rarely see jobs advertised for them- you do however often see ads for qualified nurses to work in the homes. The sorts of jobs that there are always ads for are things like nurses, teachers, pharmacists- things that there are skill shortages in. It's really rare to see many ads for people in basic jobs like retail, cleaning, hospo, entry level secutarial etc.

When I was home at Christmas, Muffin Break advertised for ONE casual position in the paper. I personally knew of 9 people who went for that job.... and that was just the people I knew!!!!! The interviews took 2 days apparently! That is how crazy the situation is.

Like seriously, even if you are willing to pick dog shits up off the streets with your bare hands it is still hard to get a job in Albury. it is getting a little better than it was though, because Albury is going through a growth period right now. But it is still very difficult.

Same in places like Bathurst... there are simply too many students for the small number of jobs available. Thats the problem with uni towns.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Since I also do Communications I guess my 'personal attack' on you was one aimed at myself also...:rolleyes:

Well you keep using yourself as an example, so sometimes my counter to that example may include some references which you think are specific to you, but I'm really just trying to counter your entire concept.

I don't care what you study.

I was simply pointing out the comparison, people who do nothing complaining to get more money from people doing alot doesn't make sense to me.

Umm... such as? "I didn't get to hang out with my friends and watch movies", doesn't exactly cut it as a sacrafice.

Well he definately worked hard, good for him! :)

Yes... there are hard situations.

She could of delayed uni for a year, lived with her parents and worked a job close to where-ever, saved up her money then gone to uni with YA. I have a hard time believing there's that big a problem finding work in albury since there are alot of nursing homes there.

Bullshit they will, if they really want to "break the poverty cycle" work in a trade and do some hard work - you get paid while you're studying + you'll most definately get a job.
Or join the army.

Because her mum is misinformed about the programs in place for people in rural communities, YA + RA, etc. The information is out there, I guess it's harder living in a rural community to access it (tho i'm sure they could get the internet).

ELITIST? Dispite the fact that we have more people in university now than ever!

- It's very hard to give a tax cut to the poor, as they really pay barely any taxes at all, it's much easier to give a tax cut to the rich as they're already paying more. Giving tax cuts to the rich is also an economic incentive, as opposed to giving tax cuts to the poor which is rather bad for the overall economy.

- Public schools have been under the care of labor governments for a long while :rolleyes:

I think you'll find a much higher % of students go on to college in america than in australia :)

I'd say you've misinterpreted what you read, and are simply ignorant to believe american universities are 'dumber' than Australian ones.

Do you really want a situation where everyone goes to uni just for the hell of it because it's alot easier than working?
Okies this debate has just been blown out of proportion
I think the reason why people keep misunderstanding and getting frustrated is that you can't adequately put yourself in the other person's shoes and fully get the gist of what they're trying to say.
inequality will always exist, it doesn't matter how rich a country is or how wonderful it's social welfare system is. utopia is an impractical concept, and so some people are going to struggle through uni more than others...I mean it may suck for the people struggling but that's the way it is.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
This may be stating the obvious but wouldn't vitamic C tablets help combat scurvy? They cost appx $5 for 100 tablets at your local coles, woolies or franklins.

As to volunteering to be a guinea pig, well there are other alternatives. Sometimes you can get remunerated for participating research studies not involving the tesitng of medicines.

Also, if u have net access, there's those online market research surveys which you get paid. A friend of mine does it and it takes around 10-15 mins p/wk (although it depends on how many surveys you do).

Those are just some suggestions.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm a raving lefty, but even I think the scurvy thing is a little zany.... I mean, buy an orange every now and then. You could probably even get your local grocer to give you a couple of oranges for free if you put on a good enough sob story! It's probably more an ignorance thing, people just not thinking about their health.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think the reason why people keep misunderstanding and getting frustrated is that you can't adequately put yourself in the other person's shoes and fully get the gist of what they're trying to say.
So if someone says something we should just believe it? Well in that case I'm struggling to live at uni too, give me money, I try hard! I'm not lazy! :(

I'm a raving lefty, but even I think the scurvy thing is a little zany....
Where is the outrage about this obvious propaganda then? Howard farts in the wrong direction and you're all over him, don't become a political hack.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As far as uni(student) towns what about canberra? The ANU, Canberra Uni, Australian Catholic Uni, RMC, ADFA and about 5 large CITs (TAFE equivalents).

Canberra meets the requirements of a uni town, LOTS of students and everyone (well more than 35%) of people leave having got a degree.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Canberra has a bit more going for it though than some places, with the government offices and departments, I've heard that the job market there is a bit better than say in Albury or Bathurst, but I'm not saying it is easy there either.

But you couldn't say ADFA and RMC contribute to the employment problem because they get paid to study and their essentials paid for. Did anyone read the article in "The Monthly" about ADFA and the extravagant funding they recieve compared to other universities?

The journalist was simply reporting what was said to the senate inquiry... I wouldn't say it was propaganda, it is the same thing that happens when someone reports what a Lib says. They are just reporting the goings on of parliament. And they did try and approach a Liberal MP for a reply but she declined to comment. I wouldn't say it was some terrible hack job or anything.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well alot of what you say seems like a lie, even if you don't do it on purpose.
Im supprised at how much that offended me.
*shrugs*
I totally dissagree with you there, i tell it how I see it. Perhaps you just don't understand what i'm trying to say.
But whatever, feel free to think i'm lying through my teeth and completly ignore the fact that it's not just me who said it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I believe that what NTB meant was that although you believe what you are saying, you may in fact be imparting an untruth. In which case you would indeed be lying, albeit unknowingly.

This is the problem when you (or anyone) tries to pass anecdote off as fact. Especially as the anecdotes relied upon are your own which means that there is on the one hand an even greater propensity to exaggerate and on the other that you are imparting highly subjective 'wisdoms'.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
addymac said:
I believe that what NTB meant was that although you believe what you are saying, you may in fact be imparting an untruth. In which case you would indeed be lying, albeit unknowingly.

This is the problem when you (or anyone) tries to pass anecdote off as fact. Especially as the anecdotes relied upon are your own which means that there is on the one hand an even greater propensity to exaggerate and on the other that you are imparting highly subjective 'wisdoms'.
um no, because it is a FACT that very few jobs are advertised in this area. The proof is in the paper.
It is also a fact that the MAJORITY of the jobs that are advertised require experience, or a degree that most uni students don't have.
And this includes cleaning jobs, as I saw on in the paper a few days ago, and you needed experience in cleaning, which I dont have.
But dont worry about it. Im over it, i've been called FAR worse things then a liar in my time :p

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
"Some people spend as little as 9 hours a week at uni" ~~ good for them. Next semester I have 26 contact hours per week - not including breaks or travel. I travel two hours a day, every day -- 36. Plus 6 hours of breaks its at 42hrs per week. Oh yeah, and then there is study and assessments and reports. I agree that 'scurvy' is a direct relation to money prioritising, but the argument that students should have to work annoys me because some people can't invent time in the week. Or is the rationale that we should be lumbered with either scurvy or sleep deprivation? It is rich from a person who probably couldn't recognise a potato, let alone spell it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Not sure who your flame was directed at, I assume that you are suggesting that neo, xayma, ntb and myself are unable to spell potato or recognise one.

Well where to start...

You accuse us of making generalisations that everyone has loads of time and should work (something which I might add we have NOT stated). Then you generalise in that you state that because of thinking that we are unable to recognise or spell a potato. A generalisation with absolutely no basis in fact, as evidenced by xayma being the first person to mention the word in this (and/or the idetical thread).

In fact the 'some people have lots of contact hours/travelling time' has been countered, students have at least a vague idea of travel time and contact hours before they start their degree. Hence they should have taken this into account and taken a year off to work. Further to this the only concievable reason for them to travel that far is that they are being supported by their parents and hence they do not need government support. And even if for some reason people were to choose to rent an hour away from uni then they are still able to work locally on weekends.

Oh and by the way I work 26 hours a week and do 14 contact hours at uni which puts me at 40 hours work and study. Add travel time of say 5 1/2 hours total a week and that puts me at 45.5 hours work/study and travel, not including breaks. If you catch the train you can study or sleep on it, I drive, I can do neither in my travelling time.

Finally to take this full-circle, I work in Fruit and Veg, so suprise suprise I can both spell and identify a potato in a line up. Further I could name five types and describe them off the top of my head. So in summation STFU and think more.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
addymac said:

yes I find that the only way to tackle an issue - ah - appropriately is to be objective which can be difficult because different people will see things differently as a result of context la di dah di dah I love that word too much
it's always unfortunate when people go off on tangents on topics they don't understand or only half understand *just a general comment I'm not referring to anyone in particular
look and we all know that a lot of uni students aren't well off economically I think the point being made is that it's really not possible to be so poor you can't afford to get vitamin C and that the media is just exaggerating things a little. it's like the whole political correctness thing with muslims and refugees and so on and it seems uni students are their fav gossip topic at the mo

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I did not create my avatar, someone else did. I am too lazy to decompose it to jpgs, fix the offending jpg and then recompile it. Further to this potato is sometimes spelt as potatoe in the US eg http://www.idaho-potatoes.com/potatoe.html. Seeing as it is entirely likely that the avatar creator is american they did not mispell it.

So the only criticisms of me you could make were that I couldn't possibly know what its like to do a 42 hour week (that turned out to be wrong) and that the person who made my avatar mispelt potato (which also turned out to be wrong). Which puts the score at me correct twice, you wrong twice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)