SDD Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Charlie129

HSC
so this is a sort of dumb question to ask the day before the sdd exam, but which option topic do u guys do????? I do option 1(paradigms) and it feels like almost everyone I knows is doing option 2
yeah like said before just curious
I do option 2 interrelationship between software and hardware. I asked my teacher why we dont do option 1 and she said it's boring...

smiley_riley

HSC
so this is a sort of dumb question to ask the day before the sdd exam, but which option topic do u guys do????? I do option 1(paradigms) and it feels like almost everyone I knows is doing option 2
I'm doing paradigms but in some of these past exams I see the other option topic and realize I might be able to do better on them without even properly studying it depending on the questions

SASH_06_X

HSC
I'm doing paradigms but in some of these past exams I see the other option topic and realize I might be able to do better on them without even properly studying it depending on the questions
how do u feel that
all those option 2 qs look so convoluted

smiley_riley

HSC
how do u feel that
all those option 2 qs look so convoluted
Maybe I'm just bad at paradigms so anything looks easier lmao.
No but like all the data type stuff is pretty simple, same with logic gates. Definitely with the convoluted questions though it's like choosing the lesser of two evils.

neqr1te

HSC
really? i think most people i know (me included) do the paradigm option topic

jc7726

HSC
my class does that one as well. i think logic is fine albeit slightly confusing sometimes but it's OOP that's the annoying one. gotta remember encapsulation inheritance polymorphism abstraction .... i predict there will be a question about why encapsulation is important but i honestly do not get it still

dav53521

HSC
i predict there will be a question about why encapsulation is important but i honestly do not get it still
Encapsulation basically allows for the protection and manipulation of fields/data within a class as the getter and setter are the only ways to access the fields which means that they are the only way you can access the fields/data.

As fields are typically private the getter/setter are the only way to access the data as fields are typically private. So this means that if you only want the data to be set once but is visable to other classes you, can remove the setter and make it so that the field is only set in the constructor and have a getter that returns the field when called. But if you don't want that data to be public but you want to be able to change it you can remove the getter and only have a setter which will allow for the setting of data while making the field "invisible".

jc7726

HSC
Encapsulation basically allows for the protection and manipulation of fields/data within a class as the getter and setter are the only ways to access the fields which means that they are the only way you can access the fields/data.

This means that if you only want the data to be set once you, can remove the setter and make it so that the field is only set in the constructor. Also typically fields are typically private so a getter allows you to access those fields but if you don't want that data to be public but you want to be able to change it you can remove the getter and only have a setter which will allow for the setting of data while making the field "invisible".
I still don't entirely understand the "benefits" though. Does it make testing easier so values that shouldn't be changed aren't? Is it so users of the software can't access data that they aren't meant to?

Also is what you're saying that you can still access data in a private field/item, but only with a getter, and you can only change the value in that field with a setter? So that all other instances do not return/change a value? Or is it always impossible to access the data from private items apart from inside those items

jc7726

HSC
Also i really hope there's an assembly question. It's one of the only strengths i have against other people in my class lmao

dav53521

HSC
Also is what you're saying that you can still access data in a private field/item, but only with a getter, and you can only change the value in that field with a setter? So that all other instances do not return/change a value? Or is it always impossible to access the data from private items apart from inside those items
You can change that field with methods inside of the class as a private field means that the field is only visible to that class however, if you want to allow the field to be directly changed outside of the class you use a public setter.

jc7726

HSC
You can change that field with methods inside of the class as a private field means that the field is only visible to that class however, if you want to allow the field to be directly changed outside of the class you use a public setter.
Does encapsulation aim to reduce stuff like repetition? say there's a field of the same name in two different classes, would making the field private in both instances remove errors that could arise because of this?

dav53521

HSC
I still don't entirely understand the "benefits" though. Does it make testing easier so values that shouldn't be changed aren't? Is it so users of the software can't access data that they aren't meant to?
It basically allows for more control over the fields as the fields/data can be visible without being changeable or is changeable without being visible which means that you can have more control over the field which can prevent unwanted changes or hide fields that shouldn't be seen. As if the field is public that means it can be changed and seen and there's nothing that someone can do.

dav53521

HSC
Does encapsulation aim to reduce stuff like repetition? say there's a field of the same name in two different classes, would making the field private in both instances remove errors that could arise because of this?
No as the fields are in different classes their scopes will be different and it is possible to have two public fields in two separate classes with the same name.

jc7726

HSC
It basically allows for more control over the fields as the fields/data can be visible without being changeable or is changeable without being visible which means that you can have more control over the field which can prevent unwanted changes or hide fields that shouldn't be seen. As if the field is public that means it can be changed and seen and there's nothing that someone can do.
Even if you don't need any extra control over fields or classes, why is it still considered good practice to make everything private unless it needs to be public? Is it simply so things that don't need to be accessed can't be accessed?

dav53521

HSC
Even if you don't need any extra control over fields or classes, why is it still considered good practice to make everything private unless it needs to be public? Is it simply so things that don't need to be accessed can't be accessed?
Yep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)