Section 1 - comprehnsion- answers- Discuss (1 Viewer)

Gosford

HSC
I just thought that maybe we could discuss each question (a-->f) and see wat we each think was needed? (I KNOW THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING IT BIT BY BIT IN OTHER THREADS, BUT I JUST WANT TO HAVE IT UNDER ONE THREAD)
a) What has 'writer' acheived?
i went with... "ACHIEVED IMMENSE SUCCESS (QUOTE) + peoples expereiences (quote again)
PS. i dont know wat questions are (we werent allowed to take booklets out???)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I put something like "he has achieved success as an author". I'm a bit worried because it seemed almost too easy and I didn't put a quote or anything.

jbai

HSC
he achieves personal success as an author, and has mananged to share his journey through his story, as well as sharing other's journeys through the "gathered materials". It was quite a vague one marker imo.What

EDIT: Other questions were (out of memory)

How has the visuals supported the text on the poster

Analyze the use of contrast in 2nd text (hated that question, 3 marks but you could only talk about one technique)

What is the attitude on journeys in the line "horizon was the most persuasive home"

3 marker: Forgot

5 marker : Discuss the perspectives on journeys for two texts

Last edited:

Gosford

HSC
hmmm... it was only 1 mark...
ps. does anyone have a copy of quuestions (ie. post them up here, and then we can 'propose wat the criteria may have been?)

mzduxx2006

HSC
Gosford said:
I just thought that maybe we could discuss each question (a-->f) and see wat we each think was needed? (I KNOW THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING IT BIT BY BIT IN OTHER THREADS, BUT I JUST WANT TO HAVE IT UNDER ONE THREAD)
a) What has 'writer' acheived?
i went with... "ACHIEVED IMMENSE SUCCESS (QUOTE) + peoples expereiences (quote again)
PS. i dont know wat questions are (we werent allowed to take booklets out???)
i ended up saying his achievement was gaining knowledge as journeys result in the atering of ones location, ultimately providing the persona undergoing the journey with new sights, perspectives and cultures.

i agree. it was a very vague question.

A Lack of Color

HSC
Text one – Display Poster
(a) What has J.T Wilson achieved through his travels?
(b) How does the visual image build upon the ideas expressed in the written text of the display poster?

Text two – Feature Article

(c) Analyse the writers use of contrast in this feature article.

Text three – Nonfiction Prose Extract

(d) Identify the attitude towards journeys conveyed in, ‘the horizon seemed the most persuasive home’
(e) Explain what Rothwell comes to realize about his journey.

Texts one, two and three

(f) Texts one, two and three offer perspectives on the journeys of these writers.
Compare the perspectives offered in TWO of these texts.

nitnit

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:
i ended up saying his achievement was gaining knowledge as journeys result in the atering of ones location, ultimately providing the persona undergoing the journey with new sights, perspectives and cultures.

I second your thought! It was very very vague that I'm not even sure what I wrote will get me ONE MARK!!

But I wrote something along your lines and also how he achieved the broading of horizons and new life experiences from travelling and this is achieved by publishing 'his first book.'

blah blah blah!

nitnit

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:

I second your thought! It was very very vague that I'm not even sure what I wrote will get me ONE MARK!!

But I wrote something along your lines and also how he achieved the broadening of horizons and new life experiences from travelling and this is achieved by publishing 'his first book.'

blah blah blah!

Jerruy

HSC
WHAT YOU NEEDED:

1.a. He has achieved the knowledge he requires to continue to compose short stories. Through his journeys Wilson has been able to draw "material" from all those he meets. In addition to this, he was also able to achieve a source of income via the selling of his short stories.

skynet89

HSC
i did ok. heres a guide i guess

a) -wilson gathered many new perspectives and his insight about the world and its people broadened due to his encounters with many people in the city - thus he now has lots of anecdotes or "stories" to tell.

b) - salience or framing of wilson - acknowleding that HE is the one on this journey to discovery
- vector - the posters in front of him. reading path from his head down to the headlines of "stories" " NEW stories" etc etc
- background - its opaque and blurred symbolising the constant movement of the city bustle and that everywhere we go there is a journey.

c) contrast
-metapor "my writing desk is a tavern table" - stating that she envisages her world through the 18th century
- contextualisation "for most of 1999 i tried to live in 1666". and other dates that you can see and other references to that time period like bubonic plague
-juxtaposition between the depressing urban environment of those cities to the calm tranquil one of the english village with 250 people. also the contrasting views. like in the city you can dislike someone and can expect not to see them again but in a village you see eachother everyday. this has built tolerance etc

there are more techniques but they dont really fit the question well.

d) attitude = perspective
"horizon seemed the most persuasive home" - suggesting that he sees the future with many opportunities and rewards and that he wishes to seek them.
e) explain what rothwell comes to realise about his journey = what concept of journey is in this text.
- That physical journeys particularly this one that he has embarked on for 5 years has led to great change and has further enriched his knowledge about the world and its people. ---> "time of great transformations in my life " - can use superlatives as a technique.
- the learning aspect of journey can be supported by the simile "the centre were like schoolrooms to me"
- it can be a healing process or redemptive one. personification "offering its redemptive silence". shit like that the whole text is pretty clear its just about him going on a journey in australia and realising the true beauty of embarking on one like this as he notices the small things that make Australia great. like the human presence, landscape etc

f) use any of the above and combine. focus more on the differing perspectives though and backup with evidence/techniques.

eg. text 2 is an imaginary journey. - the strength of it even though its not real. "its human nature to imagine..". how this has taught her lessons about rage/passion/tolerance onces shes imagined herself in other peoples shoes (in this case 200 years ago in Eyam's body)
text 3 is a physical journey - life offers us with a continual cycle of journeys and that journeys can lead to change, growth, greater knowledge and lastly that he can truely appreciate the beauty of a country once hes seen all these little things come into piece "a mosaic, a dance of gleaming fragments"

hope that helps

Gosford

HSC
1stly tahnx sooooo much "Lack of colour", i really appreciate the help
2. jerruy- where did it say/imply he was able to achieve an income (i think that was an assumption possibly???)
3. Question C)!!! How do we demostrate the analysis
i just used quotes and only quotes...I dunno wat was required

Maddy1012

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:

thats what i wrote.

EmilyFox

HSC
Of course it was vague! it was only worth one mark! That is the question that they put in so that EVERYONE sitting the paper can at least get one mark. I doubt they'd expect quotes for only one mark.

ccmariners07

HSC
Jerruy said:
WHAT YOU NEEDED:

1.a. He has achieved the knowledge he requires to continue to compose short stories. Through his journeys Wilson has been able to draw "material" from all those he meets. In addition to this, he was also able to achieve a source of income via the selling of his short stories.
im fairly certain they look for the key words that semi relate to the correct answer. and for one mark they usually award it for most answers that remotely relate to the question

Gosford

HSC
i didnt use 'techniques' to describe for c)...
wats max. i could get u reckon, guys? I explained pretty well (but no chance of gettin 3/3 as absence of techniques...)

skynet89

HSC
analyse [ˈӕnəlaiz] verb
to examine the nature of (something) especially by breaking up (a whole) into parts

analyse the writers use of contrast. they're being leniant if you even get 1 mark

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
Ummm...but the thing is that you dont get the mark if yo udont relate it back to journeys..its a 'trick' questions, wehre the question doesnt mention journeys but no matter what you must relate it back, our area of study is journeys so they dont haveto mention of it its an assumption...and i forgot to relate it back farout!

-pari-

HSC
N/A
whoever said they didn't use techniques for (C) - expect a fairly low mark.

explanation without techniques, i'd say maybe 1/3

k.middlebrook

HSC
does anyone have a scanner who has the test paper who could scan the whole thing in because I left early and was not alond to take the test paper and I was going to go back to get one back forget to. Please some scan it in so I have the pics and everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)