Section I - Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

kiinto

HSC
This is possibly the worst reasoning ever. Both A and C are semiconductors.
+1. Word for word what I was going to post.

I still think it's A. Even if the BoS says it's B, I still think it's A. I mean, what if we're trying to detect thermal radiation from a particularly cold person (he's been plowing the snow fields of siberia). Peak wavelength would be down and to the right ---> InSb semiconductor won't be as effective ---> HgCdTe is better for the job.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
+1. Word for word what I was going to post.

I still think it's A. Even if the BoS says it's B, I still think it's A. I mean, what if we're trying to detect thermal radiation from a particularly cold person (he's been plowing the snow fields of siberia). Peak wavelength would be down and to the right ---> InSb semiconductor won't be as effective ---> HgCdTe is better for the job.
That's partly like my logic - I just feel that they are both valid ways though. I only believe B because it is able to detect more. It was a rather poor and ambiguous question that was written.

imsleepyz

HSC
Hey guys, for question 13, I didn't use Kepler's Law of Periods. Instead I used v=2(pi)r/T and used the velocity from question 12. And so I got C for q. 13. Why is this method wrong, will someone tell me please?

mickstarify

HSC
Hey guys, for question 13, I didn't use Kepler's Law of Periods. Instead I used v=2(pi)r/T and used the velocity from question 12. And so I got C for q. 13. Why is this method wrong, will someone tell me please?
ok so v = 2pi*r / T, I cant find any v from the first question but anyway you can't use v from anywhere, at different orbits there will be different orbital velocities (it is not constant, unlike r^3/t^2) and as such you can't just sub it into other equations

imsleepyz

HSC
ok so v = 2pi*r / T, I cant find any v from the first question but anyway you can't use v from anywhere, at different orbits there will be different orbital velocities (it is not constant, unlike r^3/t^2) and as such you can't just sub it into other equations
I used the equation v=sqrt((GM)/r). That's how I worked out centripetal force in question 12.
I know it sounds like a very long way of doing question 13 but I'm just wondering why i don't get the same answer as you would get using Kepler's Law of Periods... Thanks though!

Last edited:

Danstar2

HSC
I'll admit it was a hard MC, I'm hoping for around 15, worst case 13+, I doubt I went that wrong though. :cry:
Averaging out from what I can see here there are definitely 3 I did wrong.

Heydosaurus

HSC
I screwed multiple choice so bad. I'm looking at 12/20 tops. I have no real dramas with this, however, as I'm extremely confident that I blitzed the rest of the paper (excluding Angry Birds, because I'm a retard). Hopefully I can pull out a good 80/100 raw, although I will be very content with anything in the seventies, considering my rather crappy (61% raw) trial result. Multiple choice in Physics has always been my bizarre downfall. In the trial, which I believe was based off of the CSSA trial, I got 6/20 for the multiple choice questions.

kdizzler

HSC
18/20 can't complain, it was a hard MC
and for the last question (I got it wrong), but all 4 are semi conductors because conductors have a band gap of 0 eV, and insulators are generally >10eV
the induced EMF question, It's definitely D, as you take the gradient and reverse the direction (Back EMF), had the identical question the the trial coincidently got wrong

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
1-D
2-A
3-C
4-C
5-C
6-C
7-B
8-A
9-B
10-D
11-C
12-A
13-B
14-C
15-D
16-A
17-B
18-C
19-D
20-B

How many mistakes? :(

NickGero

HSC
Wow I actually got 20/20 for M.C. -.-

Here's to hoping I didn't screw the rest of the test up.

xmichaelpham

HSC
These were my answers; please check

1. d
2. a
3. c
4. b
5. c
6. c
7. b
8. a
9. b
10. d
11. c
12. a
13. b
14. d
15. d
16. a
17. b
18. c
19. d
20. b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)