Section II - Ancient Societies (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
I did Minoan society for the short answer question, probably the one i liked the most. I did Sparta for my long answer question, the one on women, which was really easy too.

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
I did Minoans for short answer--- Think I screwed up the 1st question though.. wrote Egyptians were a neighbouring society? They did trade with them...

Did O.K egypt for essay, and wrote 16pages.

Kd14

HSC
I did Sparta for this one. My kings were Theopompus and Agesilaus.

bonniejjj

HSC
I stuffed up the first Minoan question (short answer)... Egyptian was right, but I right Phoenician because I had no idea... Phoenicians aren't exactly close neighbours though, and anyway, the Minoans civilization was pretty much over by the 14th century, and the Phoenicians didn't really begin until the 13th... bleh. I could think of plenty of trading partners but no actual neighbouring cultures other than Egyptian. What did everyone else put for that question?? For the features of Knossos I talked about the theatral area and the central court... a bit difficult when most palaces have many common elements. Hopefully they will give me marks for that one.
Also, is it Ok only to fill the booklet provided? Because thats all I did, it seemed senseless to go over onto a new booklet although I wouldn't have minded more space! I tried to be succint anyway.

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
bonniejjj said:
I stuffed up the first Minoan question (short answer)... Egyptian was right, but I right Phoenician because I had no idea... Phoenicians aren't exactly close neighbours though, and anyway, the Minoans civilization was pretty much over by the 14th century, and the Phoenicians didn't really begin until the 13th... bleh. I could think of plenty of trading partners but no actual neighbouring cultures other than Egyptian. What did everyone else put for that question?? For the features of Knossos I talked about the theatral area and the central court... a bit difficult when most palaces have many common elements. Hopefully they will give me marks for that one.
Also, is it Ok only to fill the booklet provided? Because thats all I did, it seemed senseless to go over onto a new booklet although I wouldn't have minded more space! I tried to be succint anyway.
I wrote Mycenaeans and Egyptians, my friend wrote Mycenaeans and Therans (forgetting that Thera was a part of the minoan civilisation). For Knossos I wrote the central court and the grand staircase. Figured that was pretty interesting. Should have put the Tripartite shrine though.

I only did the booklet provided too, but I went over the sides of every line, and made an extra line at the bottom.

meh05

sparta long answer; women. signif roles = continuing spartan race, supporting military and austere lifestyle/culture, producing males who would become good warriors, maintaining estates when men weren't around, helot and periokio responsible for early arts and helots for working on estates and occassionally looking after masters children. DID EVERYONE REMEMBER TO TALK ABOUT HELOT AND PERIOKIO WOMEN?
persia short answer, which wasn't even my topic.) my teacher is gunna freak!! lol) but i just guessed most from Xerxes knowledge coz egypt was shit and couldn't do sparta coz did that for long answer. ran out of time on Persia and only 6 pages on women (least ive ever written) but hey i don't care. IM FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

nedzelic

HSC
who would loved to have done Sparta as both the short questions and exposition
also, what was with the set-out writing booklet for the society this year? just those little things putting me off
also, the return to the 5 8 12 marks for the personality; tricky
who spent their reading time, and a few minurtes of their writing time, sitting there and wondering which societies question to do; and which one you should as an essay?
Had rome from aug to titus and would have loved to have done those short questions as well but couyldn't resists the spartan(till Leuctra) ones - were they good or what?
i went into the exam with the pre-set mind of doing an essay on sparta (as it was out last topic and know it back to front) and the short questions of rome (as it was our first topic and don't have the 'feel' for it)...don't know waht happened to that cos i was just druelling over the spartan questions but did the rome essay on the government; even though i ddin't know enough - managed to blow it out to a booklet making some very vague links as to the significance of the rome govt
oh well...HSC over!

nedzelic

HSC
rink said:
i did good with sparta.....did leonidas and cleomenes (except i spelt his name as cleonemes in the exam, hopefully they wont mark me down for that). For geog i did eurotas river supplying them water and how sparta is surrounded by mountain ranges which limits communication and trade. Krypteia was good except like they dont have too many roles....only 2 that i can think of really, how were we meant to 'outline' their roles in a 5marker when there are only 2. I stuffed up the cultural q coz i wrote about poetry, pottery, education....which was good but then i wrote about leisure and random stuff.....i compeltely forgot to write about myths/legends

and as for the 10marker.......was that asking about the social structure (just wanna make sure) as in like spartiates, helots, perioeci, inferiors etc etc???
which roles did you name?
i had: kept the helots enslaved and at bay making fear, killed good ones - preventing outbreak, gave spartans a SENSE of PERCIEVED security, allowed krypetia training - making them ready for war as they could kill, go w/o food and taugt indp. blablahblah

SaMi5

HSC
yeh i would of loved to do both sparta Q's!!! so much beta! but yeh i just wanted to say that y would ya do the first Q in it bout women wen ya coulda put the majority of that info into the 2nd Q bout ppls lives in sparta ???? wel that was my thinkin anyway n my teach was happy bout it.

hyper_crazy

HSC
Mandy101 said:
I did Athenian Society in the time of Pericles. They were nice, easy questions, and the 10 mark one on women was in my trial exam so I was set.

me too... do you go to St. George Girls???

rink

HSC
nedzelic said:
which roles did you name?
i had: kept the helots enslaved and at bay making fear, killed good ones - preventing outbreak, gave spartans a SENSE of PERCIEVED security, allowed krypetia training - making them ready for war as they could kill, go w/o food and taugt indp. blablahblah
oh na i did it a bit diff like i said how helots did all the farming and agricultural stuff and the perioeci did the manufacturing, mining, trading etc and how this was important coz it freed up the spartiates to concentrate on a militaristic lifestyle. i basically just said some info about each group.......i didnt use the source too many times though, only like thrice

BTW I HAVE A Q......my teacher reckons that when u mention the source u have to say like ''source 9'' or source 10 or whatever number it is otherwise u get marked down. I didn't do this, i just said ''in Tyrtaeus's poem 'The Helots' blah blah''....i didnt actually say source 9 or whatever .........i wont get marked down will i?

mustarrd

HSC
i did athens in time of pericles short answer, i thought they were pretty ok, when i came out and told my teacher what id written she was like yep yep yep all thats good! so im so happy... for the navy i saiad they protected trade routes, collected phoros from allies, kept athens in power (coz they were the biggest fleet) and protected against any more persian attacks...

My only problem was with the ATHENIAN occupations, i took Athenian meaning citizen, as in Sparta, only the CITIZENS are called SPARTIATES...i told this to my teacher n she said there will be disputes about this a tmarking... what do you think?

also, did Sparta essay, the women one...SO SWEET! only i fogot to use te marriage custom as an example of child bearing, but thats ok, i got mostly what everyone else got to so i mhappy! yay!

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
rink said:
oh na i did it a bit diff like i said how helots did all the farming and agricultural stuff and the perioeci did the manufacturing, mining, trading etc and how this was important coz it freed up the spartiates to concentrate on a militaristic lifestyle. i basically just said some info about each group.......i didnt use the source too many times though, only like thrice

BTW I HAVE A Q......my teacher reckons that when u mention the source u have to say like ''source 9'' or source 10 or whatever number it is otherwise u get marked down. I didn't do this, i just said ''in Tyrtaeus's poem 'The Helots' blah blah''....i didnt actually say source 9 or whatever .........i wont get marked down will i?
No - you definitely won't get marked down. Everybody uses different textbooks etc. and so a source number is pointless as it would be different in different publications. The mere fact that you included a source or two will get you brownie points tho :D

alia

Spartan society

Agamemnon was the king of Mycenae, not Sparta

Sparta's king was Menelaus

alia

Spartan society

Agamemnon was the king of Mycenae, not Sparta

Sparta's king was Menelaus

and the Trojan War may not be accepted because it might not have happened, Homer made up that stuff if i recall. Like i think Sparta didnt even exist at the time of the Trojan War cos Homer wrote it after Troy VII was destroyed. I think....

Master Gopher

HSC
bahodl said:
No - you definitely won't get marked down. Everybody uses different textbooks etc. and so a source number is pointless as it would be different in different publications. The mere fact that you included a source or two will get you brownie points tho :D
Think parent was referring to the source they gave, as in it was the source for q9. If you did have to call it source 9, I think most of us are screwed. I guess if they made it clear, they can't really mark you down, it's stupid. You can't take marks of for that under "structure", that would be ridiculous.

Stupid fool me, I hardly talked about women. As in, about 2 sentences. I hate their answer booklets, I couldn't be bothered doing it in a proper one though :S

My first thought at the "culture" question was 'Sparta had culture?' but then I just added stuff from all over the place - vases, religion, festivals, the gynopaediae, singing/dancing, storytelling and the syssitia... that sort of thing. And did we all make sure to mention that spartan culture was more significant than the traditional "Spartans did nothing but train" view?

All in all, I though societies was ok, but personalities was better.

Emily Anne

mustarrd said:
i did athens in time of pericles short answer, i thought they were pretty ok, when i came out and told my teacher what id written she was like yep yep yep all thats good! so im so happy... for the navy i saiad they protected trade routes, collected phoros from allies, kept athens in power (coz they were the biggest fleet) and protected against any more persian attacks...

My only problem was with the ATHENIAN occupations, i took Athenian meaning citizen, as in Sparta, only the CITIZENS are called SPARTIATES...i told this to my teacher n she said there will be disputes about this a tmarking... what do you think?

also, did Sparta essay, the women one...SO SWEET! only i fogot to use te marriage custom as an example of child bearing, but thats ok, i got mostly what everyone else got to so i mhappy! yay!
I got confused about the occupations one too. I just crapped on about how new trades were brought in during the building program and occupations such as strategos. Is that right? did not have many source in there so not much to back up what i said... Oh well the rest of it was ok though

hyper_crazy

HSC
mustarrd said:

I agree about that occupations question. i just wrote about farming, blacksmiths, trade and things like that... cos i know that the only 'acceptable' occupation for athenian citizens was being a farmer.. but that's as far as i could remember so i made the other stuff up from random things i knew and hoped it was ok!

nedzelic

HSC
BTW I HAVE A Q......my teacher reckons that when u mention the source u have to say like ''source 9'' or source 10 or whatever number it is otherwise u get marked down. I didn't do this, i just said ''in Tyrtaeus's poem 'The Helots' blah blah''....i didnt actually say source 9 or whatever .........i wont get marked down will i?[/QUOTE]

rink said:

I think what rink meant was the source in thr specific exam.
i wouldn't have thought that you would get marked down for that - our teacher(and i'm sure most of your teachers) has been a marker and didn't mention it

Doobie

HSC
No, you won't get marked down. Saying "Source 9" jut clearly indicates you used the givensource, otherwise, if you use the same historian more than once it might be confusing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)