Section II - Core: Crime and Human Rights (1 Viewer)

sakatahahaha

HSC
N/A
I cant believe some of you found this hard, the only easier question was world order (B) but honestly you could of talked so much shit for this, i didnt study and still won the question, its all about ANYTHING, anything that causes people to get angry, e.g. cleche gang rape case, R v Skaf...... boom sit the fuck down hsc 15/15 for crime
Haha used r-v-skaf aswell diddnt know the date so I just put down 2000

Tennisaddict

HSC
I thought the stand out thing for the crime question was preventative and continued detention

Valdek

Premium Member
HSC
gosh people

u talk about whatever u want in the topic

was drop dead easy

u can talk about young offenders, criminal trial process, sentencing

whatever u wanted that demonstrated the tension

it wasnt specific
just wide open to any topic

so it was easy if u didnt study everything
agreed you could just spam about how the govt tries to get tough on crime i.e. LEPAR act and how it gives wide discretion for police to search people --> leaves gap open for racial profiling etc. which is the tension on indiviudal rights and freedoms because people can be searched so easily etc.

Then you could talk about penalties and how the community likes to see tough penalties on murderers but maybe that doesn't rehabilitate the individual and is more retribution hence infringing on individual's freedoms etc etc etc.

It was basically spamfest.

sakatahahaha

HSC
N/A
Basically the tension between being 'tough' on bail and the infringement of freedom

- DNA- community wants people to be locked up, yet DNA can be "flawed"
- Bail- Bail Act 1977 --> presumption of favor of bail for ALL but one offence --> 18 amending acts removed presumption in favour of bail for one or more offence --> dichotomy between presumption of innocence and preventing people from absconding/reoffending
- Police powers- tough stance on bail can result in potentially negative outcomes i.e. haneef
- Plea bargaining- community pressure on DPP to make quick decision can result in the infringement of liberty of victim i.e. nanatte may, aaron linskens
- Legal Aid- community usually resentful toward giving supposed 'criminals' free legal aid, yet precedent of 'legal rep' through dietrich

did much more as well
Love your points .. Can't believe legal aid never came to me in the exam

hypia

HSC
I still don't know what they are asking ...
It was good for us, our class worked on this sort of essay a few times. Basically talk about how the victims family want a heavy sentence, however judge can only keep in line with Crimes Act 1901. Was fairly good, but struggled in options...

nicolemarcus101

HSC
I was about to drop dead with laughter until I saw this .. Thank you Someone who had studied and knew the syllabus .. The question was easy it pretty much said ok listen use any part of the syllabus you want and answer this question

I talked about
Criminal trial process , young offenders, sentencing and punishment, diversionary programs , focused on the tension between plea bargaining and community aswell as it doesn't provide justice for victims .. If you found this question hard I am truly in shock
I did exactly what you did :)

and this was a syllabus question, it was one of the themes and challenges however instead of saying "how does the law balance the rights of victims, offenders and society" they just made is sound more tricky.

easy question. I loved it

nicolemarcus101

HSC
ACTUALLY
the question is written word for word in the legal studies cambridge textbook under that theme and challenge haha

HSC
Youre pretty much right, it was a question that was open to interpretation. But what throws everyone off is the fact that it wasnt a syllabus question, neither the word "tension" is ever mentioned. A bit scandalous but when you actually get over the initial shock it wasnt that hard. Just mind twisting.
Yeah that's exactly why I was thrown off...ended up being an alright response but seriously BOS whyyy couldn't you just ask it normally!? :'(

acemusic415

HSC
I thought it was pretty decent. I used the dotpoint of sentencing and punishment including judicial and statutory guidelines, purposes of punishment, victim's rights, appeals and reviews, penalties, diversionary programs etc and I had brief overview over particular rights such as the right to silence etc.

HSC
its not the end of the world! its was only worth 7.5% of your total legal mark so don't stress!
ahhhh thank you, i guess that does make me feel an incy winci bit better. but seriously, i had famliarised myself with the challenges and read over those two pages countless times - i don't know how i missed it, in the future i shall try to stop being so stupid. oh well it's done now, WOOO to the end of the hsc! I shall hope for the best! =)

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
yup. the crime one definitely scared me for a bit there.

ended up talking about

-growing criminalization of society/ terrorism laws/ expectation for tough law + punishment
-rights of the accused
-rights of victims

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)