Section II - Societies (3 Viewers)

willyj123

HSC
Sparta:

I don't think the women question required anything about helot/perioikoi women in it. Sure you could have thrown it in there but I think it was more about Spartiate women.
I talked about having children, looking after estate/sysittion while men were gone, entertainment (song and dance, seen in a source in previous questions). As for role I just talked about how they had more freedom then most Greek women, in terms of things like choice in marriage etc.

Natural resources was a bit left field, I had water and grain, then I rememeber the use of tin and copper to make bronze for early weapons.

Did anyone else find the Lycurgus question kind of basic.. as in not a very complicated topic?

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
willyj123 said:
Sparta:

Natural resources was a bit left field, I had water and grain, then I rememeber the use of tin and copper to make bronze for early weapons.
One mark.

L.F Fitzhardinge states that Sparta lacked copper, gold, silver, and tin, but iron, lead and clay were in abundance in Spartan soil.

The Lycurgus question was OK, not too basic, as you didnt only have to describe - but explain the significance of.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
aw, gay! yeah, you had to have talked about female helots/periokoi too... fuck -.- this happened in one of my internal exams and i only got 6/8. i did mention religious roles though. hum

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
-vicki.VICIOUS- said:
it was interesting to see a q on lycurgus. i wouldnt say it was good...but interesting.
lucky i skimmed over that this morning ey?!
i was so happy to see a helot question.
i was cheering!

whoops i didnt say anything about periokoi or helot women either..ohh well. probbaly lose like 2 marks or something.
at least i refered to sources.
i didnt talk bout perioikoi women or helot women
mainly
their eductaion, motehrhood and freedom

LMSKACS

HSC
im thinking i did fairly well in the questions about the woman and the question on lycurgus.
however i had no clue about the natural resources present in Sparta. i had a massive mind blank and just wrote the only two things that popped into my head.

Fish
Olives

its only two marks but do you think i would get any marks? i had no bloody clue haha.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Rhanoct said:
aw, gay! yeah, you had to have talked about female helots/periokoi too... fuck -.- this happened in one of my internal exams and i only got 6/8. i did mention religious roles though. hum
no, trust :p

you didnt have to talk about anything.

just answer the question as much as possible

people will still be able to get 8 marks cause they didnt do it through your understanding of it (helot and periokic women)

if you had economic, religious and eugenic roles, as well as emancipated status - and discussed these with even a range of backing sources, this is more than enough to get you an 8.

if you ask me - what are you talking about helot women for anyway for? They.. uh... worked as slaves? Yeah, so did helot men... there are no sources specifically about helot women, really, that i've come across.

I am James

HSC
Sparta (Lycurgus):

Nailed the helots qusetion, my answer for Spartan women was a bit shaky though, not the strongest but still pretty good I felt. Only thing I remembered about Lycurgus was Spartan upbringing, and that he wrote the Rhetra, but not what was on the Rhetra! Except that the gerousia was recognised (not sure even about that). Threw in about ancient scholars praising him and stuff.

Taskan

HSC
Sparta- the Lykourgus Q threw me a bit, but i think i did alright

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
willyj123 said:
I don't think the women question required anything about helot/perioikoi women in it. Sure you could have thrown it in there but I think it was more about Spartiate women.
every time the markers have asked about spartan women, in the notes for the exam they've specifically said you couldn't get full marks unless you talked about women from all the classes. my teacher does hsc marking for sparta and that's one of the guidelines they always get.

l.i.z.z

HSC
I did Ramesside Society

Soooooo easy! lol 3 mark question, what is a vizier.. i couldda done a essay on it :)

did anyone else do Ramesside?

how did you feel about the funernery customs? I had to come back to it cause i forgot to write about non-nobles :| lucky i finished just on time

HSC
bradman said:
I talked about their main role as making babies and then wrote a bit on their religious and economic role

EDIT: Oh and the first question was natural resources. I said iron ore, lotsa trees and the red-dye molluscs
yeah, that's basically what i said too, except i didn't mention anything about religion.

i also said iron for the natural resource part. i meant to write molluscs, but wrote shellfish instead... hopefully they know what i meant.

lochi90

HSC
Rhanoct said:
sparta... pretty straight forward, interesting to see a 12 marker on lykurgus. was good :)
yeah i agree
i didn't think there was enough content on lycurgus to justify such a high marking questions
nevertheless i covered everything and thought this section was awesome and easy, as was the whole exam! :D

lochi90

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i also said iron for the natural resource part. quote]

yeah i got a bit stumped on this question but wrote iron also and abundant game on hillsides? i thought it sounded bit weak but i couldnt think of anything else :(

lochi90

HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
every time the markers have asked about spartan women, in the notes for the exam they've specifically said you couldn't get full marks unless you talked about women from all the classes. my teacher does hsc marking for sparta and that's one of the guidelines they always get.
i thought about this side during the exam, but disagreed in the end. i think they want you to only refer to Spartiate women, as the question asks for info on Spartan women, and helots were not considered Spartan

lochi90

HSC
willyj123 said:
Sparta:

I talked about having children, looking after estate/sysittion while men were gone, entertainment (song and dance, seen in a source in previous questions).
pretty sure women were allowed no where near the syssition, was stricly for a group of around 15 males where they would eat and converse to increase comradeship and mateship, and most importantly, trust in each other

nevdoggz

uber noober
HSC
did Ancient assyria, fairly easy except many ppl bumed out on the 2nd q coz they didnt study well enough tut tut tut hehe

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
one of the guidelines and notes they drafted for 2008 and released to HSC teachers and students did they?

exams aren't absolute, if you have made a reasonable discussion on a few key points about Spartan women's roles and status... guidelines for short response don't say "explores roles of periokic women" "makes mention of helot women" "makes mention of Spartan women" etc...

It's more like "discusses three roles of women and describes two aspects of their status in Spartan society"

general stuff like that

emokid, please don't make up stuff like you can't get full marks for not mentioning a specific point... we can quote vague and anonymous amazing HSC marker teachers that agree with our points on this forum endlessly but if you look at the criteria for the 2006 question on women which was VERY similar... I think you'll find the answer.

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
lochi90 said:
i thought about this side during the exam, but disagreed in the end. i think they want you to only refer to Spartiate women, as the question asks for info on Spartan women, and helots were not considered Spartan
role and status of women in spartan society

not spartan women. see the difference?

Patar said:
the guidelines and notes they drafted for 2008 and released to HSC teachers and students did they?
did i say 2008?

Patar said:
emokid, please don't make up stuff like you can't get full marks for not mentioning a specific point...
i'm not. spartiate women did no household tasks (ie cleaning, cooking, sewing) like other greek women - instead delegating that to perioikoi women - and helot women worked the fields with the men; these are significant facts about women in spartan society that needed to be mentioned. the classes - ie statuses - and their duties - meaning their roles - needed to be mentioned.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
role and status of women in spartan society

not spartan women. see the difference?

did i say 2008?

i'm not. spartiate women did no household tasks (ie cleaning, cooking, sewing) like other greek women - instead delegating that to perioikoi women - and helot women worked the fields with the men; these are significant facts about women in spartan society that needed to be mentioned. the classes - ie statuses - and their duties - meaning their roles - needed to be mentioned.
Which is fair enough but Patar is right. The guidelines for marking will not be that specific because each students approach to a question will be different. You can satisfy the requirments in a variety of ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)