• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Seeking advice to prepare for Edutest and NSB 2024 Year 9 transfer tests (1 Viewer)

stnd08

HSC
Hello, can I ask like Year 9, does JR and other top selective school offer large number of seats or only few?
fewer than they say on the website most of the time. For example, Baulko said it would take in 15 for my year but there were only like 7 transfers.

newbeat

HSC
N/A
fewer than they say on the website most of the time. For example, Baulko said it would take in 15 for my year but there were only like 7 transfers.
Yes, this is right for year 9 transfer. But I thought most schools don't take many for year 10 transfer like year 8 transfer. They only take if someone leaves the school previous year. Is that true. Basically the big intake is Year 9 and Year 11. This is what I thought.

yuqiismyidol

HSC
Hi I'm currently year 10 student at fort street high school, I'm looking to join either sydney girls or north sydney girls in year 11
my portfolio is:
all As on report since year 7, consistently top 5 in grade, prize/best in school for the AMC, high distinction for the Australian history competition, distinction for the Australian geography competition and I've done debating, public speaking, English enrichment and netball club at school as well as professional badminton training since year 6...
I did the edutest exam last year for north sydney girls high school and I got on the reserve list (2 superiors, 3 above averages but they never got back to me) I heard that most selective high school accept more spots for year 11 so what are your tips on studying for the edutest and where do I find past papers or tutoring??

yuqiismyidol

HSC
Yes, this is right for year 9 transfer. But I thought most schools don't take many for year 10 transfer like year 8 transfer. They only take if someone leaves the school previous year. Is that true. Basically the big intake is Year 9 and Year 11. This is what I thought.
how can I prepare for the test for entry into year 11 2025 for sydney girls and north sydney girls

yuqiismyidol

HSC
ok i posted smth earlier this yr abt edutest - it’s genuinely not that hard, it’s about how fast you are not abt how smart u are
i’ll js recap the important things

i got into nsg (which also uses edutest) and the main things i did to prepare were the victorian selective past papers (since the test style is quite similar) i did buy the edutest practice tests in y9 (when i tried out for ruse) however i think that they are simply too easy and not worth spending money on

ultimately what i found is that edutest is not a difficult test, you just need to be able to do questions quickly

for maths i would suggest brushing up on mental maths (from memory it is not calculator) as u need to be able to do questions very quickly (it’s like 60 in 30 mins)

there’s also a mathematical reasoning component which involves sequences number patterns fibonacci sequences stuff like that so i’d highly suggest doing some icas/amc style questions

reading is honestly not difficult naplan level at most

for verbal reasoning i think reading (to expand vocabulary) more as well as just doing some like thinking skills/ga practice questions would be beneficial

writing will likely be creative but i think it’s marked super easily or smth (dk how i did good on that tbh)

i also got into baulko (when there was no test) so lmk if u want any extracurricular advice (now is the perfect time to build things, particularly if u don’t get in for y9 entry, it’ll look even better for y11 entry)

best of luck!!
I want advice for extracurricular!! I'm gonna apply for nsg and sg for year 11 next year, currently go fort street, only extracurricular I've done is debating and netball club, I do badminton competitions outside of school tho

Yes99

HSC
Hi I'm currently year 10 student at fort street high school, I'm looking to join either sydney girls or north sydney girls in year 11
my portfolio is:
all As on report since year 7, consistently top 5 in grade, prize/best in school for the AMC, high distinction for the Australian history competition, distinction for the Australian geography competition and I've done debating, public speaking, English enrichment and netball club at school as well as professional badminton training since year 6...
I did the edutest exam last year for north sydney girls high school and I got on the reserve list (2 superiors, 3 above averages but they never got back to me) I heard that most selective high school accept more spots for year 11 so what are your tips on studying for the edutest and where do I find past papers or tutoring??
I only did year 9 entry, so year 11 entry is beyond my knowledge...
but i think your extra- extracurricular is good. there are few places where they sell online practices, you might want to try those and see where you want to improve.

skzzks

HSC
i
I want advice for extracurricular!! I'm gonna apply for nsg and sg for year 11 next year, currently go fort street, only extracurricular I've done is debating and netball club, I do badminton competitions outside of school tho
i can't speak for sg, but for my grade at nsg i don't think extracurriculars paid a major part in the selection process, so what you have already seems good! not sure if there's an interview process this year either, but if so, think about what you have learned through these activities as they may ask about them.

yuqiismyidol

HSC
but i think your extra- extracurricular is good. there are few places where they sell online practices, you might want to try those and see where you want to improve.
the only place that I find practice tests in on their website...

newbeat

HSC
N/A
Hi Again, can you please explain what did you mean by " there are few places where they sell online practices, you might want to try those and see where you want to improve. " I am keen to find the online past papers and happy to purchase them. But I need for Year 8/9 entry tests. Thanks

newbeat

HSC
N/A
Also, I can see that James Ruse asked to send " letter of recommendation from a community member outside current school ". Who can provide such recommendation letter if not own school? May be from primary school? Will they accept recommendation letter from Tutoring Place? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)