• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Seeking advice to prepare for Edutest and NSB 2024 Year 9 transfer tests (1 Viewer)

newbeat

HSC
N/A
Thank you. will look into it
Hi can I please ask how was your school transfer test and were you able to secure a spot and if so which school. Could you please share overall experience about Edutest please. Thanks.

Yes99

HSC
my mock up practices were around 90 to 95% in raw marks except once. for the actual test, writing, maths and reading tests were quite straightforward, qantatative reasoning is not hard but tedius, verbal was the hardest (I vaguely remember that had to guess a handful). I still remember a girl in front of me saying "these tests are soooo eeeeasy" afterwards, so it depends on student's strengths ig. I was offerred both ruse and nsb.

I have half yearly tomorrow, so I will keep it short and I documented my experience on this post, so please have a read through them.

newbeat

HSC
N/A
my mock up practices were around 90 to 95% in raw marks except once. for the actual test, writing, maths and reading tests were quite straightforward, qantatative reasoning is not hard but tedius, verbal was the hardest (I vaguely remember that had to guess a handful). I still remember a girl in front of me saying "these tests are soooo eeeeasy" afterwards, so it depends on student's strengths ig. I was offerred both ruse and nsb.

I have half yearly tomorrow, so I will keep it short and I documented my experience on this post, so please have a read through them.
Oh lovely, great job, so happy to know that you made to JR. Yes, please focus on exam, I think your HSC is next year. I will buzz you later on, I must say you and others are so helpful. Really so happy that you made it as I could clearly see you did your best with your own abilities and tips from others on this forum. This forum is so great. Good luck for tomorrow and HSC too.

?!?!

HSC
ok i posted smth earlier this yr abt edutest - it’s genuinely not that hard, it’s about how fast you are not abt how smart u are
i’ll js recap the important things

i got into nsg (which also uses edutest) and the main things i did to prepare were the victorian selective past papers (since the test style is quite similar) i did buy the edutest practice tests in y9 (when i tried out for ruse) however i think that they are simply too easy and not worth spending money on

ultimately what i found is that edutest is not a difficult test, you just need to be able to do questions quickly

for maths i would suggest brushing up on mental maths (from memory it is not calculator) as u need to be able to do questions very quickly (it’s like 60 in 30 mins)

there’s also a mathematical reasoning component which involves sequences number patterns fibonacci sequences stuff like that so i’d highly suggest doing some icas/amc style questions

reading is honestly not difficult naplan level at most

for verbal reasoning i think reading (to expand vocabulary) more as well as just doing some like thinking skills/ga practice questions would be beneficial

writing will likely be creative but i think it’s marked super easily or smth (dk how i did good on that tbh)

i also got into baulko (when there was no test) so lmk if u want any extracurricular advice (now is the perfect time to build things, particularly if u don’t get in for y9 entry, it’ll look even better for y11 entry)

best of luck!!
can u share what extracurricular that you did for entry since im trying for year 11 entry?

?!?!

HSC
u got into nsg tho as well lol, and i heard nsg only rlly cares abt the entrance test much more than ur portfolio. u got into the baulko reserve list initially right??
How did you portfolio look like when you were trying out for nsg ?

stnd08

HSC
How did you portfolio look like when you were trying out for nsg ?
Bruh like the thing with transferring into the top school is that you either:
  • Already go to a decent school like normo or sydney boys with a decent portfolio
OR
  • Have a well balanced portfolio from a private school (as in you have good marks in all subjects, do well in sports, music, take part in academic comps and present your school involvement thru clubs and stuff)
I'm not saying you can't make it by going to a rank 200-300 school, its just that probably only one person makes it to the top schools and they usually have a cracked portfolio.

?!?!

HSC
Bruh like the thing with transferring into the top school is that you either:
  • Already go to a decent school like normo or sydney boys with a decent portfolio
OR
  • Have a well balanced portfolio from a private school (as in you have good marks in all subjects, do well in sports, music, take part in academic comps and present your school involvement thru clubs and stuff)
I'm not saying you can't make it by going to a rank 200-300 school, its just that probably only one person makes it to the top schools and they usually have a cracked portfolio.
holy bro they need hella well rounded students academic's and like having a life outside of school too. LIKE HOW

Yes99

HSC
holy bro they need hella well rounded students academic's and like having a life outside of school too. LIKE HOW
it doesn't have to be outside of the school and can be co-cirricular actitivities
i don't think you have to have all of sports, music. and external comps, but at least 1 or 2.
but, have to say most of transfers i see in the school are how stnd08 described.

skzzks

HSC
can u share what extracurricular that you did for entry since im trying for year 11 entry?
i did quite a lot throughout hs but idt its that important for nsg tbh sm people got in without as many. for baulko it was important at the time though:
year 7: debating
year 8: debating, src (covid year)
year 9: debating, media team, netball outside of school, peer support (covid year)
year 10: peer support, debating, src, media team, netball outside of school, i had a job lol, biomechanics challenge

i'd say that extracurriculars are usually more important for schools that have an interview process as they ask about it and what you gained from it etc
my school wasn't super highly ranked either but was usually in top 60-80 but it was selective. that being said many people got in from non selective schools too

stnd08

HSC
ASKJHDASJKHdASKJDHASLKJd its not that bad dw. Ive been through the whole spectrum of schools that I listed. 💀

You are focusing on the best of the best transfers. Unless ur against some cracked group, it shouldn't be too bad. I mean I managed to get top band for everything somehow lmao so I'm sure you can do well. But like seriously, considering that exam was for like baulko ruse and nsg it means the comp in our year is not that bad.

100!

HSC
N/A
HELP im in yr 8 this yr at nsg and im trying to transfer to jr for 2025 and idk what to prepare 😭 also idk if i have enough achievements
- co-curricular music program
- debating
- AMC and CAT distinctions
- all band 6 naplan from yr 7
- NO SPORT T-T
- grade 8 piano
my maths teacher hates me so that letter of recommendation is NOT looking good
jr wants first semester report and my maths teacher is grading me with 100% weight on my assessments, for my first one i got a B so even if i get an A for this terms test idk if i can land an A for my report :(
currently juggling studies for my term test + jr preparations

Yes99

HSC
HELP im in yr 8 this yr at nsg and im trying to transfer to jr for 2025 and idk what to prepare 😭 also idk if i have enough achievements
- debating
- NO SPORT T-T
- grade 8 piano
jr wants first semester report and my maths teacher is grading me with 100% weight on my assessments, for my first one i got a B so even if i get an A for this terms test idk if i can land an A for my report :(
Grade 8, oooft.
i think your achievements are solid (although no sport). don't worry too much about B on one or two subjects (even if it is maths... and all transfers have to take maths mentoring classes for one term at least anyway).
Add in iCAS English if your school did it.
Have a read on this post about preping for edutest. you should be fine

stnd08

HSC
- debating
- NO SPORT T-T
- grade 8 piano
I think ur fine tbh. I don't see a reason to specifically prepare for jr tho unless you mean preparing for icas or stuff. The edutest is kinda free.

ScienceLover3675

HSC
Grade 8, oooft.
i think your achievements are solid (although no sport). don't worry too much about B on one or two subjects (even if it is maths... and all transfers have to take maths mentoring classes for one term at least anyway).
Add in iCAS English if your school did it.
Have a read on this post about preping for edutest. you should be fine
Hi, I'm in the same year as you are rn and I'm trying for NSB and JR (but realistically NSB). May you please tell me what was sitting the test like for you, and anything I could do to mentally prepare myself for that? Thanks.

Yes99

HSC
Hi, I'm in the same year as you are rn and I'm trying for NSB and JR (but realistically NSB). May you please tell me what was sitting the test like for you, and anything I could do to mentally prepare myself for that? Thanks.
I was very nervous during the test but I knew someone who sat for the test and talked during the break, which i think helped to calm me down.
to mentally prepare, make sure you time your practices with VIC Selective School (free) sample papers. there will be few questions with words that you never heard of, don't get too caught up on those. Good Luck and hope we can see you around at the school next year.

Last edited:

student002920

HSC
I was very nervous during the test but I knew someone who sat for the test and talked during the break, which i think helped to calm me down.
to mentally prepare, make sure you time your practices with VIC Selective School (free) sample papers. there will be few questions with words that you never heard of, don't get too caught up on those. Good Luck and hope we can see you around at the school next year.
Hi I'm currently a year 9 student that goes to a public school, who's seeking to try out for nsg or hghs for a year 10 placement:
- Last year reports are not the best but not the worst; (sem1 2023) 5 A's 1C and the rest is B's, (sem 2 2023) 4 A's and the rest are B's (the B's are all in the 82-84 range)
- This years half yearly report, I haven't gotten it yet but I am expecting NO A's with a mix of Cs and Bs.
- My school is ranked around 80-90(public school)
- Naplan results for year 7 is not the best, but year 9 results are coming out really soon.
- placed top 3 in my cohort for english
- Achievement certificates : Age Champion for swimming for 2 years
- Debating for 3 years, on the school team for 2 years

I also have a copy of my Cognitive Assessment report that I did when I was young (not sure if I'm allowed to put that in as supporting document)

For NSG (HGHS does not allow supporting documents I think) , assuming that I do good on the Edutest, do you think I'd have a chance for an interview, based on my portfolio? (please be brutally honest)

Yes99

HSC
Hi I'm currently a year 9 student that goes to a public school, who's seeking to try out for nsg or hghs for a year 10 placement:
- Last year reports are not the best but not the worst; (sem1 2023) 5 A's 1C and the rest is B's, (sem 2 2023) 4 A's and the rest are B's (the B's are all in the 82-84 range)
- This years half yearly report, I haven't gotten it yet but I am expecting NO A's with a mix of Cs and Bs.
- My school is ranked around 80-90(public school)
- Naplan results for year 7 is not the best, but year 9 results are coming out really soon.
- placed top 3 in my cohort for english
- Achievement certificates : Age Champion for swimming for 2 years
- Debating for 3 years, on the school team for 2 years

I also have a copy of my Cognitive Assessment report that I did when I was young (not sure if I'm allowed to put that in as supporting document)

For NSG (HGHS does not allow supporting documents I think) , assuming that I do good on the Edutest, do you think I'd have a chance for an interview, based on my portfolio? (please be brutally honest)
it will be tough becasue of the report but i dont think anyone in here is a teacher from nsg, so i would still apply if i was you. u might want to consider sydney girls if you planning for edutest.
supporting docs usuaully last two years of achievement.

newbeat

HSC
N/A
it will be tough becasue of the report but i dont think anyone in here is a teacher from nsg, so i would still apply if i was you. u might want to consider sydney girls if you planning for edutest.
Hello, can I ask like Year 9, does JR and other top selective school offer large number of seats or only few?

student002920

HSC
Where do you find the victorian selective school past papers?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)