selected 3u math in subject selections, but they put me in 2u..? (1 Viewer)

CecilyMare

HSC
There are 8 classes and only one of them is a 2u class, the rest are all 3u. (I go to ruse so it's like this..) I've been slacking off for the past 4 years but I still think I'm pretty good at math because I get HD in westpac every year til now and also in yr 7 i did well in marks but not homework completion.

Is there any way I can convince our math headteacher to put me in 3u? A group of us tried talking to him but all he did was tick next to our names and tell us the hours of studying are too much for us since we're all lazy, despite us all trying to assert that we'd work our arses off starting from next year.

I'm also thinking of ringing up the BOS dudes and complaining. Apparently a girl in another grade was in the same situation and she rang them up and they just put her up.

What should I do?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Tell him to put you on trial. I'm Ruse as well, one of my friends was also put in 8 and kept arguing and fighting with Woodhouse till he got put on trial. I was in 7 so all of this was pretty close to me. Just tell him that you'd like to be put on trial, and if you don't get top 100 or something he can kick you back down. He tends to let you in fairly quickly. My mate is still in 7 and bottom 10 in 3U, but he's still in 3U.

CecilyMare

HSC
AAAAH, RUSE!? SOMEONE WHO MOST LIKELY ENTERS MY FIELD OF VISION EVERYDAY,
RUNNNNNNN ,,,

What's trial?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Obviously lacking in the basics of English though.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell him to put you on trial. I'm Ruse as well, one of my friends was also put in 8 and kept arguing and fighting with Woodhouse till he got put on trial. I was in 7 so all of this was pretty close to me. Just tell him that you'd like to be put on trial, and if you don't get top 100 or something he can kick you back down. He tends to let you in fairly quickly. My mate is still in 7 and bottom 10 in 3U, but he's still in 3U.
Ruse students take their teachers to court?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is why you don't slack off...

Really. I don't think you'd even be suited to 3u with your work ethic - "I'll promise to start working hard now!" Yeah, right - most say that and they don't end up doing it, I had a whole bunch of friends who said they'd work their ass off this year and what do they do? Sit in their study periods playing computer games.

HSC level maths will require tons of home revision, because there is much to learn, and little class time.

I say - good call by Ruse.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I know what trial means; I was asking what the 'trial' is like. Also I've never heard of trial math, nor a trial math class for that matter.
You should of said that rather than "What's trial", which is what is trial. So either way my point is proven.

Also I'd be guessing it is a lot like actually doing the course but your arse is on the line if you don't do well.

CecilyMare

HSC
Yeah in that case you're talking about I don't think I would be suited to any of HSC at all. =________________= And I bet taking up an extra subject is more time-sucking than taking the extra unit in math.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Depends on which subject you pick up. Extension maths requires a lot of work, one of the reasons I dropped it. But some of the higher scaling subjects are hard work. The extensions require a lot of work in your own time as well since you don't get much class time.

CecilyMare

HSC
Depends on which subject you pick up. Extension maths requires a lot of work, one of the reasons I dropped it. But some of the higher scaling subjects are hard work. The extensions require a lot of work in your own time as well since you don't get much class time.
If I dropped math, I would end up with the same subjects in Yr 12 that you're doing right now :p

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Yeah all of them require a lot of work. The extensions require a lot more than the core subjects though. But it also depends on your teacher, I'm having to read a book every two weeks for Ext. English and it really sucks when you have the attention span of a gnat.

CecilyMare

HSC
I still think it only serves as a disadvantage, having to do 2u and an extra subject. Same goes for Yr 12.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad

Really. I don't think you'd even be suited to 3u with your work ethic - "I'll promise to start working hard now!" Yeah, right - most say that and they don't end up doing it, I had a whole bunch of friends who said they'd work their ass off this year and what do they do? Sit in their study periods playing computer games.

HSC level maths will require tons of home revision, because there is much to learn, and little class time.

This is not necessarily true. A guy in our grade was in the bottom maths class yr10, most people would have labelled him a complete slacker. He got into 4U this year, and got I think 56/60 for the first assessment. So, you never know.

Good luck with woodhouse, he can be a real, uh, bother to negotiate with ==

duckcowhybrid

HSC
AAAAH, RUSE!? SOMEONE WHO MOST LIKELY ENTERS MY FIELD OF VISION EVERYDAY,
RUNNNNNNN ,,,

What's trial?
Trial is basically you take 14 units for a term, so that if you drop 3U maths you're still safe, then you basically don't fail 3U in half yearly, and you stay in. It's that simple. Also I was bottom maths class in Year 10 as well, scraped in to Maths 7, then jumped to 4and got 53/60 in my 4U Term 4 Assessment, The guy that got 56 sits next to me in maths, except I wouldn't call 2nd in Philosophy in the state a complete slacker Jim.

speedofsound

HSC

jesus christ you literally are everywhere spreading your terrible opinion

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I don't think schools should be able to decide whether students are allowed to undertake subjects or not.

In my opinion, if a school offers a course and a student wishes to undertake that course, they should be allowed.

In my English ext 1 class in year 11, we had around 20 students, which is too many and most were too undetermined to be doing the subject in the first place. But by the second term, our teacher got our class numbers down to under 10 students by setting at least 3 or more 2,000 word essays/short stories every week. It was living hell for those terms, and sometimes I did nothing but ext 1 every afternoon/night, but it made all the people who were slacking off eventually drop the unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)