• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Selecting Subjects for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

Beserk

HSC
Hi
I am currently selecting my subjects for year 11/12, and need some advice.
I am thinking of:

Advanced English
Maths EX 1
Economics
Modern History

plus 2 of:

Chem
Physics
Geo
Ancient History

Could you please help me with:

1. Best two subjects from the bottom four - most interesting/difficulty/workload/scaling
2. How many science subjects you need to do science course at uni
3. Differences between the histories, which is better/more work/is it good to do both

Thanks for reading this! :)

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Hi
I am currently selecting my subjects for year 11/12, and need some advice.
I am thinking of:

Advanced English
Maths EX 1
Economics
Modern History

plus 2 of:

Chem
Physics
Geo
Ancient History

Could you please help me with:

1. Best two subjects from the bottom four - most interesting/difficulty/workload/scaling
2. How many science subjects you need to do science course at uni
3. Differences between the histories, which is better/more work/is it good to do both

Thanks for reading this! :)

1. Physics/Ancient
2.None- there really isn't many prequestives anymore
3. Modern is more current/ancient is ANCIENT. Modern is interesting, so is ancient. Depends what you like

Thief

!!
HSC
1. I'd personally go with Chemistry and Ancient History. Definitely pick chemistry or physics, it'd be good to have a science. If you like Geography, that could be a good subject. I hated geo so no way in hell I'd do that one lol
3. I'd assume that Modern and Ancient would be about the same, just different topics (I do Modern). It depends upon which topics you'd like to study - in Modern I've done the Cuban Revolution, Tiananmen Square and now we're doing World at the Beginning of the 20th Century/Causes of WW1. I may have done another topic but I forget what it was now lol.

Ancient would obviously be topics set way in the past. It's just personal preference I guess. As for doing both histories, yes if you are passionate about history it would be worth doing both, but don't if history is just an average subject to you.

Thief

!!
HSC
Also I'm in yr11, and my subject combo is Adv English, 3U Maths, Modern, SOR I, Physics and Chemistry: which is similar to what you are choosing =)

If you can't decide between physics/chemistry, I'd advise that you choose both, and then drop one at the end of yr11 if you feel the need.

I went into yr11 thinking that I would enjoy both Physics more than Chemistry, and was planning to drop Chem at the end of yr11. But then I got a bad physics teacher, and I found I didn't really have much passion for the subject and so now I'm dropping Physics =) I'm glad I chose both the sciences though, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen Chem at all.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I'd say Chem & Phys since you're doing one history already, I really like Phys and Chem and I glad a picked them. It really depends what you want to do in university, if you're doing a science thing eg eng/med etc I say its best to pick Chem & Phys.

Geology I wouldn't pick if I were you, I don't think that its really needed for any course in uni? plus I don't know it doesn't seem interesting =/ but pick if you know you are interested.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Chemistry is difficult and at times boring and the workload is pretty big however once I got the hang of it, i started to enjoy it more and started to do a lot better.

Geography is a really good subject. I really recommend it! I did it for year 11 and a term and a half in year 12, I really enjoyed it. It's half humanities, half science. It has really simple concepts that are easy to get, however is interesting at the same time. THe only reason I dropped it was because I didn't want to do 13 units and it was the only subject that didn't contribute to what I was thinking of doing after school

I can't say much for physics or ancient however from what my friends have told me:
Ancient is an ok scaling subject, that at times can be boring however overall it's good
Physics is a good scaling subject with some hard topics and concepts however you will be pleased when you understand them

HOWEVER, DON'T LET SCALING AFFECT YOUR CHOICE! Getting 90 in a crap scaling subject is better than getting 75 in a good scaling subject!

starshine02

HSC
I would recommend chemistry because personally i find it really interesting and i guess it would be useful if you want to do science in uni. workload isn't light but it isn't too bad if you're generally good at science. out of others i would say geography because from what i hear the workload is light and its a different type of learning to say a history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)