Selective Entry Thread 2021 (Lockdown) (1 Viewer)

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Hi, Im currently in year 10 and trialling for year 11 enrolment for Hornsby girls. Im in a partially selective high school at the moment. I have a few questions and hope someone can reach out.
But firstly, does anyone have any links to resources to study for the tests ? I dont mind paying for them.
-For maths, are the questions more or so based on mathematical abilities or problem solving/worded problems ? Is the year 10 syllabus enough or do I need to prepare the content in year 11 too ?
- For writing, is it true there are 2 tests ; creative and discursive ? I've seen alot of just creative, or randomised between the two and got confused.
- For abstract reasoning, I heard that it is mostly figuring out patterns. Are there questions that test vocabulary like how the general ability test had for selective ?
heyo, im in yr 9 applying for yr 10 and im also in a partial aswell I haven't personally done the hast before but I have read a lot abt it and I think I can answer a few of your questions.
Firstly, for resources, there are some but they honestly aren't very useful, I bought something called notes edu and it was the easiest stuff i ever saw, the hast would be 10x harder than these online websites that say they will prepare u for hast so I dont recommend it, I wasted 100 dollars aswell with it.

Secondly, for maths Im not sure whether they will test yr 11 but I feel like they would, so maybe just go through some year 11 topics and see if u can do some of them. But make sure your yr 10 maths knowledge is good. Oh and its more of both mathematical ability and problem solving. For the math and science, the science component rlly doesn't need to be studied, it is mainly math and just logical reasoning perhaps. Its like science icas if u have done that before, from what I have heard u dont need to study for the science part vigorously maybe just the basics and a little yr 11 if u can.

For writing yes, you will have to write and a creative AND a discursive.

Finally, for abstract reasoning it is basically figuring out patterns and is similar to general ability but it doesn't have any vocab type stuff in it. Its all just logic pretty much(even tho i hate abstract reasoning). Its basically like one of those job tests u do just search some up and do them to get used to it.

man its been forever since i was last here lol 😅

jks22

HSC
heyo, im in yr 9 applying for yr 10 and im also in a partial aswell I haven't personally done the hast before but I have read a lot abt it and I think I can answer a few of your questions.
Firstly, for resources, there are some but they honestly aren't very useful, I bought something called notes edu and it was the easiest stuff i ever saw, the hast would be 10x harder than these online websites that say they will prepare u for hast so I dont recommend it, I wasted 100 dollars aswell with it.

Secondly, for maths Im not sure whether they will test yr 11 but I feel like they would, so maybe just go through some year 11 topics and see if u can do some of them. But make sure your yr 10 maths knowledge is good. Oh and its more of both mathematical ability and problem solving. For the math and science, the science component rlly doesn't need to be studied, it is mainly math and just logical reasoning perhaps. Its like science icas if u have done that before, from what I have heard u dont need to study for the science part vigorously maybe just the basics and a little yr 11 if u can.

For writing yes, you will have to write and a creative AND a discursive.

Finally, for abstract reasoning it is basically figuring out patterns and is similar to general ability but it doesn't have any vocab type stuff in it. Its all just logic pretty much(even tho i hate abstract reasoning). Its basically like one of those job tests u do just search some up and do them to get used to it.

man its been forever since i was last here lol 😅
A few corrections from my experience (unless it changed last year):

- The resources you purchase from the HAST website are really helpful (and probably the closest thing you can get to the actual exam)

- As for the mathematics exam, I can guarantee you that you do NOT need to learn about Y11 mathematics topics, there's barely any "maths" in the exam... it's all about science basically (e.g food chains and charts - such as the distribution of a population) and logical reasoning

- For writing it was only ONE creative for me, but it may be something else such as persuasive writing

- For abstract reasoning every question involves looking at patterns and figuring out what's next (there's heaps of these kinds of questions online)

Last edited:

hailey.y_h

HSC
thanks sm for your reply too. but now im confused with the maths part noww :( im more confident with actual numbers and maths but now i feel so lost cuz im not asa confident with problem solving and science in general :(( could you expand on the mathematical reasoning part so I could get a rough idea and expectation for the questions ? also,did you find the hast hard ? i want to know more about your experience too if your comfortable with it !

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
thanks sm for your reply too. but now im confused with the maths part noww :( im more confident with actual numbers and maths but now i feel so lost cuz im not asa confident with problem solving and science in general :(( could you expand on the mathematical reasoning part so I could get a rough idea and expectation for the questions ? also,did you find the hast hard ? i want to know more about your experience too if your comfortable with it !
ok just listen to the other person bc they actually did it lol but yes the resources from the hast website itself is pretty good but they're are these programs that aren't as good.

skzzks

HSC
guys does anyone know what edutest (test for ruse and nsg this yr) is like irl ? last yr it was online so i feel like it wasn’t an accurate representation.

hyuhyu

HSC
N/A
Can someone please tell me what type of questions are for the middle secondary (applying for year 9 2023
, currently in Year 8) HAST exam? What should I revise to get into the higher percentiles?

brainy

HSC
reserve list cuz 0 spots :) idk where i am on the list tho
Can you give some tips on the actual test , so for English Comp , Maths , Abstract Reasoning & Writing Promt . How did you find the each of those sections in terms of how hard they were ? Were you able to finish on time ? How would you say you did in the test in terms of percentage ?

wzsmartypants

HSC
Can you give some tips on the actual test , so for English Comp , Maths , Abstract Reasoning & Writing Promt . How did you find the each of those sections in terms of how hard they were ? Were you able to finish on time ? How would you say you did in the test in terms of percentage ?
sorry mate HAST was cancelled last year so I didn't do the test

hyuhyu

HSC
N/A
so in my application for fort st, I have only 1 B and the rest are A's for my reports, my tournament of minds state certificate, ethics olympiad, first in English and literacy, 100% attendance, regionals cross country, running program, spelling bee, and a swimming award.
does this present a good chance for me to make it to fort st?

Ashmeet

HSC
N/A
Im still trying to finish my application for Blacktown boys selective can anyone help me plz

Ashmeet

HSC
N/A
I think its only about ur extracurriculars and your report, they'll base it off that
i got all a and 1b for semester 1 last yr and all A for semester 2 and for this year semester 1 got all a and 1b
I don't rlly have extra curricular stuff but I have awards from this and last year like the DUX award and the best performer awards in Mathematics, English, and Creative and Performing Arts and the the most outstanding in class subject awards for Mathematics, English, Science, Languages (Chinese), PDHPE, Geography, Technology Mandatory (TAS) and Visual arts
do you think that's enough too get in ??

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
i got all a and 1b for semester 1 last yr and all A for semester 2 and for this year semester 1 got all a and 1b
I don't rlly have extra curricular stuff but I have awards from this and last year like the DUX award and the best performer awards in Mathematics, English, and Creative and Performing Arts and the the most outstanding in class subject awards for Mathematics, English, Science, Languages (Chinese), PDHPE, Geography, Technology Mandatory (TAS) and Visual arts
do you think that's enough too get in ??
bro i think you will def make blacktown boys but i wanna warn u that most partial selectives are rlly bad im in one rn and its garbage, im trying for girra and penrith rn, ur grades are good so i suggest going for a full selective bc I am real confident u will make blacktown boys

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
so in my application for fort st, I have only 1 B and the rest are A's for my reports, my tournament of minds state certificate, ethics olympiad, first in English and literacy, 100% attendance, regionals cross country, running program, spelling bee, and a swimming award.
does this present a good chance for me to make it to fort st?
wow fort street alr, ur grades are definitely good but one thing that could've improved ur extra curricular would've probs been like debating or smth but still real good, I think u got a good chance. I suggest you go for like girra aswell bc fort street usually opens spots during vacancies only(usually). u gotta write an essay too aye

Ashmeet

HSC
N/A
bro i think you will def make blacktown boys but i wanna warn u that most partial selectives are rlly bad im in one rn and its garbage, im trying for girra and penrith rn, ur grades are good so i suggest going for a full selective bc I am real confident u will make blacktown boys
idk man I'm pretty stressed I go to rooty hill high rn its not that good I also applied for girraween and baulkham hills do you think I'm might be able to get into baulkham hills

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
idk man I'm pretty stressed I go to rooty hill high rn its not that good I also applied for girraween and baulkham hills do you think I'm might be able to get into baulkham hills
well its tough to tell I have never seen anyone make baulko after year 7 so idk ur grades are good but baulko is second in nsw lol. I think u got a shot at girra tho. Also baulko and girra mainly focus on the hast exam u gotta sit and then proceed to consider grades and extra curriculars n stuff

Last edited:

hyuhyu

HSC
N/A
wow fort street alr, ur grades are definitely good but one thing that could've improved ur extra curricular would've probs been like debating or smth but still real good, I think u got a good chance. I suggest you go for like girra aswell bc fort street usually opens spots during vacancies only(usually). u gotta write an essay too aye
lol our school didn't do debating

Scimat

HSC
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into ruse. I applied this year with 40+ certificates, 1 comp, decent reports and src and taekwondo state participation, and still need to do edutest. Would that be sufficient to get me into ruse assuming I do well in the exam. Btw I go girra if that changes anything

kkk579

hello
HSC
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into ruse. I applied this year with 40+ certificates, 1 comp, decent reports and src and taekwondo state participation, and still need to do edutest. Would that be sufficient to get me into ruse assuming I do well in the exam. Btw I go girra if that changes anything
damnnn aiming for ruse niceeeee
if u do well in the edu test u can probs get in but also depends on how many vacancies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)