Selective School Entry 2022 (1 Viewer)

Clueless0182

HSC
Hey guys,

I am currently in year 10 and I have a couple of questions about getting into a selective school for year 11 next year. My choices are Penrith high school or Baulkam hills high school (cuz u dont have to do the HAST) but i read somewhere that if penrith is ur second choice u cant write the HAST. will this reduce my chances of getting in.

My last year semester 2 grades were 4 As and 3 bs, what school do u think is the best for me ( penrith, baulko or girra).

and what extra curriculars help cuz rn im doing duke of ed i have done icas and amc but no distinctions and i am goin gto do SRC and debating this year. Do u think i have a chance and if not what else can i do.

i just want to know what are my chances of getting in and which school is out of my reach

thank youuu

tito981

HSC
if your good at selective tests style exams do the HAST, i think there are also other good schools who offer positions based on HAST. If not i would still suggest putting one of the HAST test schools down in case you get a good percentile, because they dont care about your preference placements.

Clueless0182

HSC
if your good at selective tests style exams do the HAST, i think there are also other good schools who offer positions based on HAST. If not i would still suggest putting one of the HAST test schools down in case you get a good percentile, because they dont care about your preference placements.
Hi yes but on penrith's official site it says this

If your first preference from the list below is not Penrith Selective High School you must apply, pay for and sit the test at the school you nominate on your application form as your first preference. If Penrith Selective High School is your second or third preference, you must still submit an application form to us so we can register your preference. However, you cannot sit the test at Penrith Selective High School if we are not your first preference.

what does this mean for me and what do i do??

tito981

HSC

If your first preference from the list below is not Penrith Selective High School you must apply, pay for and sit the test at the school you nominate on your application form as your first preference. If Penrith Selective High School is your second or third preference, you must still submit an application form to us so we can register your preference. However, you cannot sit the test at Penrith Selective High School if we are not your first preference.

this happens with every HAST school, it just means that you sit the exam at your preference 1 school, and the other schools just take the data from when you sat it at your first preference.

idkkdi

HSC

this happens with every HAST school, it just means that you sit the exam at your preference 1 school, and the other schools just take the data from when you sat it at your first preference.
OP, crosscheck schools if u are concerned.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I think I understand her concerns. If BHHS doesn’t require nor run HAST and PHS won’t allow candidates to sit unless they put PHS as first preference, then where would she be able to sit the HAST if she puts down BHHS as first choice & PHS as her second. If she reverses the order of preference, does that mean she won’t be considered for BHHS if her application to PHS is successful (especially since BHHS is supposedly more highly sought after)?

hstb_

HSC
Hey I got accepted into penrith and baulko last yr, reserve for Girra and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. If youre going to apply for a school that has HAST as a requirement you will have to sit it no matter what preference you put the school in. Your grades are decent and you might as well apply for all 3 as Girra/Penrith shares results meaning you just have to sit HAST at one school. To give you an idea of how my application was like, I did 3 clubs/societies including SRC and SRC, duke and debating are definitely really good. However you should try to join a few more if your school offers more. When it came to awards/grades i had a few distinctions in AMC and ICAS and other comps, top10% math Olympiad, Tournament of mind winner/merit ,zone sport award, rank 1 in 4 courses, dux, scholarship award, all A report with 1 B. In short you definitely have a chance and none of the schools are out of reach even tho baulko may be tougher as theyre based off supporting docs only. Try to get all A's for semester 1 and get involved with more extracurricular your school offers/ or volunteer in the community . Buy the ACER scholarship and HAST sample paper and try them out, do loads of reading comprehension/abstract reasoning /numerical reasoning questions, practice writing argumentative, expository, persuasive, creative, discursive essays under time limit and you should be well prepared for HAST (well thats what i did and it helped a lot). I also have a lot of resources/textbooks i used to practice for HAST, pm me if you want them.

Regarding the phs website question, It just means you sit HAST at your first preference HAST school, e.g you put Baulko at preference 1, penrith 2, girra 3, you will be sitting HAST at Penrith but the test results will be shared with Girra at the same time

Hope this helped, good luck!:)

Last edited:

hstb_

HSC
I think I understand her concerns. If BHHS doesn’t require nor run HAST and PHS won’t allow candidates to sit unless they put PHS as first preference, then where would she be able to sit the HAST if she puts down BHHS as first choice & PHS as her second. If she reverses the order of preference, does that mean she won’t be considered for BHHS if her application to PHS is successful (especially since BHHS is supposedly more highly sought after)?
PHS does consider hast results even if the applicant didnt put phs as preference 1, the applicant just sits the exam at their first preference HAST school, and in this case it is Girra/Penrith whichever one she chooses to put above the other in preference order. BHHS wouldnt know if her application to PHS is successful or not, all the schools consider your application no matter what preference you put it in. E.g I was accepted into PHS first and then followed by BHHS a week later.

idkkdi

HSC
Hey I got accepted into penrith and baulko last yr, reserve for Girra and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. If youre going to apply for a school that has HAST as a requirement you will have to sit it no matter what preference you put the school in. Your grades are decent and you might as well apply for all 3 as Girra/Penrith shares results meaning you just have to sit HAST at one school. To give you an idea of how my application was like, I did 3 clubs/societies including SRC and SRC, duke and debating are definitely really good. However you should try to join a few more if your school offers more. When it came to awards/grades i had a few distinctions in AMC and ICAS and other comps, top10% math Olympiad, Tournament of mind winner/merit ,zone sport award, rank 1 in 4 courses, dux, scholarship award, all A report with 1 B. In short you definitely have a chance and none of the schools are out of reach even tho baulko may be tougher as theyre based off supporting docs only. Try to get all A's for semester 1 and get involved with more extracurricular your school offers/ or volunteer in the community . Buy the ACER scholarship and HAST sample paper and try them out, do loads of reading comprehension/abstract reasoning /numerical reasoning questions, practice writing argumentative, expository, persuasive, creative, discursive essays under time limit and you should be well prepared for HAST (well thats what i did and it helped a lot). I also have a lot of resources/textbooks i used to practice for HAST, pm me if you want them.

Regarding the phs website question, It just means you sit HAST at your first preference HAST school, e.g you put Baulko at preference 1, penrith 2, girra 3, you will be sitting HAST at Penrith but the test results will be shared with Girra at the same time

Hope this helped, good luck!:)
was this a scholarship at a 30k, 20k, or 10k a yr school? just curious.

Clueless0182

HSC
by the way guys i heard that girra is good for students who want to medicine or science cuz apparently they focus on science and they are ranked first or something.
is this true??

laterz laterz

HSC
imo, most people who can make med inside of Sydney can transfer into ruse in y11.
a lot of people transferred from my school to ruse in yr 11, but honestly even being top 5 is pretty good. I feel like ruse people don't even have a social life lol (they probably do lmao)

Clueless0182

HSC
hey guys sorry for all these questions but i rlly am clueless (as seen in my name lol) but i heard that while accepting baulko looks at what school u come from and my school isnt that great so do u think this may reduce my chances of getting in

Last edited:

vishnay

God
HSC
hey guys sorry for all these questions but i rlly am clueless (as seen in my name lol) but i heard that while accepting baulko looks at what school u come from and my school isnt that great i go to Blacktown girls so do u think this may reduce my chances of getting in
Perhaps, we really don't know how students are chosen, but if you have good extracurriculars and good grades you may have a chance. Otherwise study for the HAST test and try out for other selective schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)