Selective School For Year 11 - HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

xXareyouphorealXx

HSC
So I've applied for four selective schools in the following preference:
Sydney Girls
Fort Street
Girra High
Penrith High

I pretty much want to hear people's opinion on whether or not I have a chance of getting in to any of the schools.

Reports
I've been receiving straight As in nearly every report since year 7 with the exception of a B in year 7 PDHPE (semester 1 report), year 7 tech (semester 2 report because we had a sub for the rest of the year), in year 8 religion (semester 2 and I have no idea why I didn't get an A) and in year 9 PDHPE (semester 2 - sport was EXTREMELY competitive in my class since some people were state representatives). Everything else was an A. I have received my school's top academic achievement award for 3 years straight (years 7-9) and have ranked in the top 3 for 8 out of 10 subjects last year (ranking only starts then). I've received my school's all-rounder award (service/academic/leadership/etc.) which has four rankings in terms of achievement: bronze, silver, and so on. I've gotten 2 bronze, 2 silver, 2 gold, 2 platinum (I have approx. 2 certificates that I will have to wait for since they're making them). Sorry but I can't remember what specific bands I got for my NAPLAN but I can remember whether I got the highest, lowest bands, etc. For my year 7 NAPLAN I achieved the highest band for every aspect except for maths where I got the second highest band. In my year 9 NAPLAN I achieved the highest band for every aspect (perfect for spelling, 1 wrong for persuasive writing and 1 wrong for grammar and punctuation).

Extracurricular
I'll save you the details but I have 2 columns of extracurricular activities in nearly all my reports (around 8+ activities)
Performing arts: This ranges from drama (productions, etc.) to music (I'm nearly in every vocal ensemble). I play the piano but I've never done an exam and I honestly don't know why. I also contribute to out-of-school events like graduation masses, etc.
Academic: I've gotten credit twice (I'm average at maths) for the AMC and got into the top 20%. I've gotten a distinction in one science competition and got into the top 13% of a neuroscience competition. Language wise, I've achieve a gold in a French competition (2% in the world) and a bronze (5-10% in the world if I can remember correctly).
Leadership: I was SRC and am currently member of an Australasian group representing my school.
Other: I'm in UN Youth Australia and the Red Cross. I've been to conferences representing my school, serving coffee at ANZAC day, etc.
Sport: I was a representative dancer but have recently stopped and a former swimmer for a squad (though I don't have a certificate to prove it). I do cross country at my school and regularly compete at the athletics carnival.

I honestly can't think of anything else but I had a few more activities and achievements. So, what do you guys HONESTLY think? I really want to get into Sydney Girls and the Fort Street exam I took worries me a little.
P.S. I might have to delete this thread due to privacy reasons so please reply ASAP!!!!

Last edited:

go_cadel

HSC
everything, academically, and in terms of extra-curricular, looks pretty solid.
as long as your result is competitive in the exams you took for that selective school, i think you've got a decent shot at all of them.

HSC
hey, im y11 sghs and i moved this year :)

your report sounds really...really...good!! way better than mine lol i only had my report + couple of icas certs + 2 debate certs...i dont think i had much else

just so you have an idea where i stood, i applied from a comprehensive high and my year 10 report was kind of:

english - 5/~26
maths - 1/52
science - 1/~26
geography - 1/~26
history - 3-7/~26
pe - 15/~26 (loll)
commerce - 1/~50
jap - 2/~15

good luck! i think you will definitely make it

Kazooker

HSC
N/A
I think your chances are really high your reports are awesome plus you have many extra curriculars but you never know unless the results come out, right? Best of luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have u done your interview yet?

Fiction

HSC
Fairly sure you'll get in. I can't speak for any of the schools you applied to, but someone in my grade last year applied for 2014 year 11 NSG. She had a mediocre report (don't remember her getting a principal's award) and close to no EC other than band. I think most schools open up a fair few number of spots in year 11 and unless a school is particularly in high demand, these spots aren't really going to fill in.

zhertec

HSC
Fshs generally gives their letters around late September to October I believe, or you could possibly accepted early next year if there is one lucky sport available. But with your results you're pretty much guaranteed to get into most schools provided you did well in their respective entrance exams. Oh and with Fort St, the principal is a music teacher, so it prioritises you higher I think lol. Anyways best of luck!

xXareyouphorealXx

HSC
Thanks for the replies!!!! :spin:

I already accepted Fort St because they sent out offers really early. Now I've got a Sydney Girls offer but I can't decide. Any more advice?? I really don't know which school to go to anymore.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the replies!!!! :spin:

I already accepted Fort St because they sent out offers really early. Now I've got a Sydney Girls offer but I can't decide. Any more advice?? I really don't know which school to go to anymore.

Which were you thinking of going to first?

xXareyouphorealXx

HSC
Which were you thinking of going to first?
I really wanted to go to Sydney Girls first then I saw Fort St. Fort has a pretty good atmosphere - chill, friendly, etc. I haven't even seen Sydney Girls yet so I have no idea what it's like there.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I really wanted to go to Sydney Girls first then I saw Fort St. Fort has a pretty good atmosphere - chill, friendly, etc. I haven't even seen Sydney Girls yet so I have no idea what it's like there.
Visit the school, and maybe talk to people who go there?

Maybe consider the 'ranking' of the school?

falances

HSC
Nice!! Congratulations! Those are two very esteemed schools. I'll be going to Sydney Girls next year for Year 11 ~~ What subjects are you doing next year? The deputy said that we have to do exactly 12 units, not even 1 unit more >< I know that Sydney Girls is exceptional in English so that's why I chose to accept the offer there. The atmosphere at Fort St is great, but I heard a lot of the teachers aren't that great (but I'm not entirely sure). If you choose to go to Sydney, then I hope we'll see each other next year! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)