Selective school scaling (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
kadlil said:
but like how come, one of the people said that a 90 mark for selective is 96 etc..
I see you have solved your posting problem.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
kadlil said:
but like how come, one of the people said that a 90 mark for selective is 96 etc..
people assume that selective schools have strict grading and other schools don't. this is more or less true, considering those people in selective schools are very competitive. but there a many non-selective schools that are strict with their marks, equally competitive, so none of this "90" is really a "96" is very accurate. It's a generalisation.

I was in a public school, ranked low, got 7/15 for internal marks for English Extension 2, but my school is known to mark strictly, hence my surprising E4 in the end

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
people assume that selective schools have strict grading and other schools don't. this is more or less true, considering those people in selective schools are very competitive. but there a many non-selective schools that are strict with their marks, equally competitive, so none of this "90" is really a "96" is very accurate. It's a generalisation.

I was in a public school, ranked low, got 7/15 for internal marks for English Extension 2, but my school is known to mark strictly, hence my surprising E4 in the end
That's more or less it, if kadlil was refering to the marks entered into SAM.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
ur_inner_child said:

isn't ext 2 marked out of 50? internally as well as externally

is it true that the person ranked first in their year in a sub can't be touched by scaling? I managed to eke a making not much sense half explanation from wrong turn, but I'm still rather confused. Say I'm ranked first in legal or something, and we all go well...or if I and everyone bomb in the exams, what happens? Alternatively if I go well and they bomb...or vice versa (I like the very first scenario best :p)

A l

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
is it true that the person ranked first in their year in a sub can't be touched by scaling?
Typically, everyone is affected by scaling.
cherryblossom said:
Say I'm ranked first in legal or something, and we all go well...or if I and everyone bomb in the exams, what happens?
BOTH your overall moderated assessment mark and exam mark (assuming you keep that rank), would be high if you do well in the exam. However, they will BOTH be low if the performance in the exam is low.
cherryblossom said:
Alternatively if I go well and they bomb...or vice versa (I like the very first scenario best :p)
If that occurs and your rank is still first, then your moderated assessment mark would be high and the rest of the students' marks would fall.
If your rank sudddenly falls dramatically while all the others maintain their relative ranks, then your moderated assessment mark would still be high, but your exam mark would drag your overall HSC mark down.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
yeah, but you still get a mark out of 100 in the end. the bands are still 'E' bands
mm so how did she get 7/15

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
cherryblossom said:
isn't ext 2 marked out of 50? internally as well as externally

is it true that the person ranked first in their year in a sub can't be touched by scaling? I managed to eke a making not much sense half explanation from wrong turn, but I'm still rather confused. Say I'm ranked first in legal or something, and we all go well...or if I and everyone bomb in the exams, what happens? Alternatively if I go well and they bomb...or vice versa (I like the very first scenario best :p)

it is. my internal assessments were out of things such as 15 that added up to 50. I said 15 because 7/15 was the highest I ever got. Others were 4/10 etc.

not quite sure what i got out of 50 internally, but just take that i never passed, so it wasn't a good number...

thewhitecomet

HSC
why's everyone freaking out about selective school scaling? there's no way they're gonna scale selective schools higher just for the sake of it. if a selective school for some bizarre reason did shithouse, then it's gonna be scaled the same as a state school with same results. it's just selective schools generally do better.

volition

arr.
HSC
That's true. The reason why people freak out about it? Because they just don't know that. I've found that there's a general lack of knowledge in my school about HSC procedures and so on, I'm always having to explain how it works to people (and I dont even know the system all that well)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Its just how you go externally isnt it?

Like a guy who comes 80th in Ruse is smarter than a guy who comes 10th in Boganville.

But extrernally, Ruseboy gets 95, and Boganboy gets 80. Its just how well you do externally.

Yes, Iknow I didnt explain it.

lady_dilandau

Sharingan me!~
HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
I was under the impression that your moderated school assestment mark was largely dependent on the performance of the other students at your school.

If this is correct, wouldn't going to a "better" school be more of an advantage?
Nope our school's do not moderate marks. Neither does Sydney boys, NSG or NSB, not sure about the others.
It may be a disadvange as generally selective high school exams are marked harder.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Raginsheep said:
I was under the impression that your moderated school assestment mark was largely dependent on the performance of the other students at your school.
The performance of the other students at your school will determine the range over which the moderated assessment marks are spread, but your ranking will determine which mark is yours within that range.

Raginsheep said:
If this is correct, wouldn't going to a "better" school be more of an advantage?
If the "better" school had "better" students, you would typically be ranked lower - which compensates for the improved range of marks.

lady_dilandau said:
Nope our school's do not moderate marks. Neither does Sydney boys, NSG or NSB, not sure about the others.
It may be a disadvange as generally selective high school exams are marked harder.
The Board of Studies moderates the assessment marks of all schools in exactly the same manner.

Whilst internal exams (i.e. assessment tasks) held in selective schools might be marked quite strictly by the teachers at those schools, this is ultimately of no consequence, as the external HSC exams from all schools are all marked in the same way.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
as with 2003 HSC English Extension 2 - top student was from my school - Riverside Girls High School. As with the 3rd top student. Public school.

yea cause people from James Ruse dont really bother with EE2. (im sure alot of them do ee2, but not the super kids - they would more be concered with maths)
they dont do the subject, their more concerned with easiest way to maximize uai.
To do that... english advanced, all 3 sciences, mathematics ex2 = 12units...+ agriculture = 14units.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
haboozin said:
yea cause people from James Ruse dont really bother with EE2. (im sure alot of them do ee2, but not the super kids - they would more be concered with maths)
they dont do the subject, their more concerned with easiest way to maximize uai.
To do that... english advanced, all 3 sciences, mathematics ex2 = 12units...+ agriculture = 14units.
Talk about generalisation =P But my sister only did 3u English (dropped ext2)... She also agrees with me on the SAM does not necessarily work well with your school marks if you are from a Selective High. Hers was 5 off (she gained >99.75 uai) and mine is... ahaha.. I'll put it this way, my personal UAI estimate (from school principal) is about 10 higher than what JUaiSeek and SAM. So the point of me saying this is- Don't rely on these programs. Just try your best, put your uni prefs in, and see how things go! You should know (inside) roughly what to be expecting and if you really need guidance, use one of these programs, but otherwise, don't let them cloud your ability to focus.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
seremify007 said:
Talk about generalisation =P But my sister only did 3u English (dropped ext2)... She also agrees with me on the SAM does not necessarily work well with your school marks if you are from a Selective High. Hers was 5 off (she gained >99.75 uai) and mine is... ahaha.. I'll put it this way, my personal UAI estimate (from school principal) is about 10 higher than what JUaiSeek and SAM. So the point of me saying this is- Don't rely on these programs. Just try your best, put your uni prefs in, and see how things go! You should know (inside) roughly what to be expecting and if you really need guidance, use one of these programs, but otherwise, don't let them cloud your ability to focus.
yes... please don't enter school marks into these programs. >.<

They provide an interface between aligned marks and scaled marks/UAI. It is much easier to infer aligned marks from school marks, than it is with scaled marks/UAI.

Please refer to the stickied thread in the SAM forum.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I should've added- I took my trial marks, and modified them a bit to suit how I think I'll go assuming my trials are pretty good at reflecting upon how I will go in HSC assessments... I know that in some subjects, the mark we get on our reports are before our school "tinkers" with them a bit prior to submission...

On a sidenote, I remember once, a teacher said the reason why they change the deviation/averages and use a very specific marking criteria is to allow us to compare and compete between one another; because otherwise we'd all have the same clump of marks and the average would be too high.

monchhichi

HSC
i know what you mean, but i reckon sometimes going to a better school, the scaling gets better as your assessments and trials are most likely to be harder than other schools right?

helper

HSC
N/A
monchhichi said:
i know what you mean, but i reckon sometimes going to a better school, the scaling gets better as your assessments and trials are most likely to be harder than other schools right?
No. This will prepare you better for the exam and may result in better results but nothing to do with scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)