• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective school (1 Viewer)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
m0ofin said:
He probably would've realised that too.

Since when did this discussion turn into some juvenile quarrelling?
When streetball answered Bookie's posts.

None of this is helping streetball's problem though. I suggest he just applies for as many schools as possible and study hard and gain the extra-curricular activities that would be needed to be considered a candidate for entry into selective school.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
streetball said:
hey guys, i wanna go to a selective sch, i missed out in yr 6, yr 8 and yr 9. what should u do this yr to prepare my self for this yr seltive entrance exam leading on to yr 11. lets say... i wannna go to nth syd boy and fort st.
I am in the exact situation as you are.
What other selective schools did you applied for all those years besides those two?
I think it would be wise to choose a selective school that doesn't require an entrance exam becuase all you have to focus on is getting a good report or either have someone to tutor you in preparation if your that desperate.
Basically, i'm participating in lots of co-curricular such as debating, public speaking, social justice, music, sport for the matter that most selective school is looking for students who participate in school activities.
Study in advance to generate a good reports and also try to get a distinction or high distinction in the university competition such as science or maths

streetball

HSC
you see, last yr in yr nine applying for yr 10, i didnt need to do an enterance test for fort st, i had to show them my report, (hav all A's in all subjects besides, pdhpe, got one B there), well they didnt accept and when i was in yr 8 i did the nth syd test, but back then i was really shitt...

and yea, i do, do extra things such as bball, sometimes chess, src, social justices, etc

i dont see why that will help, because it didnt for me

teanido

HSC
N/A
Stay far far away from Fort Street, I was there since year 7 and there have been massive changes, there is new administration which don't even process applications on time, also we have been losing a LOT of their good teachers and all that is left are casual teachers and other teachers which don't really seem qualified, I mean why is a health teacher teaching physics?

They just get anyone to teach the subjects, they aren't really that uptight on their results...

Mozzieartist, there is some teacher called him or something, and they can't teach anything, it's like they are just casual teachers, the whole public education system is falling apart, STAY FAR AWAY FROM FORT STREET, THIS IS A WARNING!

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
teanido said:
Stay far far away from Fort Street, I was there since year 7 and there have been massive changes, there is new administration which don't even process applications on time, also we have been losing a LOT of their good teachers and all that is left are casual teachers and other teachers which don't really seem qualified, I mean why is a health teacher teaching physics?

They just get anyone to teach the subjects, they aren't really that uptight on their results...

Mozzieartist, there is some teacher called him or something, and they can't teach anything, it's like they are just casual teachers, the whole public education system is falling apart, STAY FAR AWAY FROM FORT STREET, THIS IS A WARNING!
That came as a complete shock, but how come the students are doing so well and coming pretty well high in the school ranking?

vizman

HSC
teanido said:

agreed. the existance of "mozzieartist" is enough to stay away.

c0okies

HSC
you dont depend on the teachers to do well; its not like the qualified teachers are that good anyway

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I haven't read the rest of the thread so sorry if I'm just repeating what someone had already said.

I didn't make it into a selective school in Yr6 and I didn't know you could try again each year until Y11.

I think you're in Yr10, right? Well I applied for Manly Selective Campus in Yr10 and the process was this:

1.They look at your report. You need to be in the top ranks for English, Maths and Science.
2.You take the schools entrance exams.
3.Since you're in Yr10, they will require you to show them your SC results and achieve Band 5 or higher in all subjects.

Well that was for my school anyway so it might be slightly different for other schools. :)

Good Luck, it feels great once you make it in.

P.S The test, I didn't study for because it's basically General Ability and an essay paper which I kicked arse in because I had one in mind already.

Hope that helps you in some way.

Oh yeah, one more thing; I think the cut off point to enter a selective school is in Yr10, you will start in the new school in year 11.

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
why go to selective?
just because you're going to a good school doesn't mean that you'll pinch out a good uai.....
changing schools into yr 11 is something you'll have to consider for yourself...
if you're smart enough to get into selective school, you might as well stay in your own school and do well in your assessments throughout hsc.
what's the point struggling to come average in a prestigious school, and then grabbing a uai of like.... say, 96
when you could have just stayed in your old school and studied hard by yourself, and come first... then grabbing a uai of 99+??

unless you're exceptionally smart, and feel like you can't stand being around people who are so stupid.... and you consistently get like,,,, 90+ in all of your subjects at school, then by all means, change.
but I'd consider the circumstances in the future if I were you.....
I mean, who knows...if you stayed, you could have been school prefect, src member, sports captain... etc etc.
if you moved... you'll have to make new friends... get settled in.... and bash yourself for only getting a measly average mark, when you used to always come first.

oh the competition is just the thing we all love, isn't it?

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Well I changed schools because the students at my new school are smarter and constantly keep me on my toes. I push myself harder because the competition is tougher. At my old school, I ranked in top without trying which would have been detrimental to my study attitude.

It's no use fooling yourself into believing you're doing your best because you're the top at your school. Your HSC is against the whole state where you'll be competing with the likes of James Ruse, Sydney Boys/Girl etc.

Well this is only my 2 cents. To each their own.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
webby234 said:
Hi :) Not at the swimming carnival either?
Haha yeah, everyone said not to go so I'm using this time to study(browse BoS site :p). :)

So do I know you? Probably not though since I just started at Manly this year.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
brilliance** said:
why go to selective?
just because you're going to a good school doesn't mean that you'll pinch out a good uai.....
changing schools into yr 11 is something you'll have to consider for yourself...
if you're smart enough to get into selective school, you might as well stay in your own school and do well in your assessments throughout hsc.
what's the point struggling to come average in a prestigious school, and then grabbing a uai of like.... say, 96
when you could have just stayed in your old school and studied hard by yourself, and come first... then grabbing a uai of 99+??

unless you're exceptionally smart, and feel like you can't stand being around people who are so stupid.... and you consistently get like,,,, 90+ in all of your subjects at school, then by all means, change.
but I'd consider the circumstances in the future if I were you.....
I mean, who knows...if you stayed, you could have been school prefect, src member, sports captain... etc etc.
if you moved... you'll have to make new friends... get settled in.... and bash yourself for only getting a measly average mark, when you used to always come first.

oh the competition is just the thing we all love, isn't it?
This was going to win the most helpful post ever award in my terms. But its in Size 1. Disqualified.

webby234 said:
Yeah, I moved to a selective school beginning of year 9
fag

D

dzzlng_07

fort st sucks.. my teachers suck!!! ARGHH... MR RYAN!! someone go kill him!

teanido said:

HSC
Hey!

My familys moving to west sydney(because of work)... well be living around cambletown..that area..:eek:

I go to Manly selective now...does anyone now if it would be hard to transfer to Hurlstone? Does anyone go there? Whats the schools rank? Would it be very hard to transfer mid- year 11?
Please!!! Really confused and worried!!!!:confused:
Ive also never been to that part of sydney before? How is it? Any info would be GREAT!!!

Thanx!!!

P.s - GO manly high students!!! :)

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
My school is the top comprehensive school in my area, but that exclude all selective and private schools. :D

A l

HSC
N/A
Hurlstone Agricultural High School was ranked 29th in last year's HSC.
Manly Selective High School was ranked 27th in last year's HSC.
Oddly enough, the school I attend, Sefton High School was ranked in between those two schools at 28th in last year's HSC.

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
timobr0 said:
ahhh we got mr fitzpatrick from sefton as our new principal at south sydney high
Hahaha!! I think everyone (excluding staff) was celebrating when Mr Fitzpatrick left our school. I feel sorry for you guys.....have fun! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)