• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective school (2 Viewers)

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
I've skipped all the pages in between, so I might be repeating stuff that other people have already said.
Well, I got in to Nth Syd Girls' without much study, however, the test was pretty easy becuase the poem they had i did in my old school, the maths test I just aced it, their maths is pretty easy.
well, since i go to NSG, i know more or less something about NSB. It's a really good school, you should apply for it. Because i'm enjoying my time a lot in NSG... There's heaps and loads of extra-cirriculum you can get, and becuase we are in northern parts of Sydney, you tend to get choices for expensive sport, even if we are only a government school.
I have a friend that used to go to Maquarie Fields high school(which is half-selective), and now he is NSB, and once said: " Maquarie Fields compared to NSB, is like me compared to Bill Gates."
So take all your chances to try, it's worth it.

xotoyto

HSC
N/A
i took the fsh test in y10 and got accepted...
one thing i've got to tell you is, if you're happy with your old school, DO NOT CHANGE. i regret changing. sure, it's okay now but the first several weeks were HELL.

Plus, if you don't want to screw up your Maths results, don't even think of coming to Fort Street. The maths teachers here ALL suck. Like seriously, I went to a public non-selective school and there the maths teachers were way better than those at Fort Street. The majority of the grade's either lazy or laid back and the teachers won't do anything about it. It's as if they don't care.

But the entrance exams (English and Maths papers) are pretty tough although to tell you the truth I did not study prior to the test and didn't even manage to finish the english paper xD Hmm also, you need a good report and if you manage to get an interview, they'll ask a lot about your extra-cirricular activities.

Good luck but remember what I said.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Everyone says Fortstreets full of druggos heaps of people from my selective school went to fort street and left, i changed to a selective school this year and its been great, the teachers are much better but you have to study.

HSC
i never tried for those selective high school examinations. if i could, i would because i reckon my school doesn't give to the students all it can. but in the end, it all really depends on how much YOU put in and YOUR independent learning.

c0okies

HSC
xotoyto said:
i took the fsh test in y10 and got accepted...
one thing i've got to tell you is, if you're happy with your old school, DO NOT CHANGE. i regret changing. sure, it's okay now but the first several weeks were HELL.

Plus, if you don't want to screw up your Maths results, don't even think of coming to Fort Street. The maths teachers here ALL suck. Like seriously, I went to a public non-selective school and there the maths teachers were way better than those at Fort Street. The majority of the grade's either lazy or laid back and the teachers won't do anything about it. It's as if they don't care.

But the entrance exams (English and Maths papers) are pretty tough although to tell you the truth I did not study prior to the test and didn't even manage to finish the english paper xD Hmm also, you need a good report and if you manage to get an interview, they'll ask a lot about your extra-cirricular activities.

Good luck but remember what I said.
fortstreet is a good school if you're willing to work hard.

you go to raise your own ranking in nsw not to make your maths results better. its your hsc; dont expect teachers to spoonfeed you and just because people APPEAR to not do work, it doesnt mean they're lazy or laid back. if you want teachers to help you, YOU have to approach them.. dont sit and wait for someone to come around and feel sorry for you.

c0okies

HSC
yea they could be doing the work at home late at night and trying to mislead their competition into not doing work

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
yeah i go to macquarie fields (im in the selective half) and last year i had 5 of my close friends up and leave to go to schools like Hurlstone, girraween and the like. HEAPS of people tried out for other schools and a few of our people got reserve for fort st. and james ruse but most ended up in sydney boys/girls/ st george and hurlstone. my point is that it's really easy to get into schools from yr 10 - 11 so if you wanna do it that's the time.
though on the other hand you've got the whole social upheaval and getting chucked outa your comfort zone thing. that's why i didn't leave, im happy here at maccas ( macfields) and i've been hearing about all the teething problems those who left seem to be having ( even though they left with heaps of their friends) so it's really a personal decision mate. whatever suits you. but personally i'm against it. unless of course you go to a really derro school like james meehan or sarah redfern where you may as well not be going to school at all , well according to their rep anyway =P

VuongstER_boi

HSC
do u think it's worth the change from sefton to fort st, i was thinking of doing that...

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
do u think it's worth the change from sefton to fort st, i was thinking of doing that...
I wouldn't have a clue, both did pretty well last year in the HSC, so it's just really a matter of personal preference and personal circumstances. Why are you considering this move anyway, that's the question you must ask yourself.

coolkoombaya

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:

WHOAAAAA! im a seftonite here. (ahah dun call me gay, when u go sefton, ull understand) DO NOT GO FORT STREET >< year 11s 2006, as in, year 10s in 2005, aobut 7 of them went. they mite lyk it, but i duno, i reckon its chat. there were sum fort streeters at sefton station the other day. i dun fink they give a good indication on wat fort street is lyk. i duno, i never attened fort street, sefton only, so FUCK FORT STREEETT! GO SEFTON!!

i do 2 unit maths, and standard english. im in selective stream. and no, i mite seem lyk a dumb cunt, cos im asian, and i dun do 3 unit maths. well fuck dat, im shit at maths, im aiight at 2 unit maths, and for me, its fukin mad. and standard as well.

lil-bong-man

HSC
yea tho sefton dont seem dat appealin, its actually alrite at the end, coz den u'll realise why ur parents insisted u go selective, n u'll b like wow, dey're rite

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
coolkoombaya said:
i do 2 unit maths, and standard english. im in selective stream. and no, i mite seem lyk a dumb cunt, cos im asian, and i dun do 3 unit maths. well fuck dat, im shit at maths, im aiight at 2 unit maths, and for me, its fukin mad. and standard as well.
if we were to apply stereotypes, then that would be partially correct, but this is the real world, so you can do any subjects you want, and if you're enjoying them, then you shouldn't give a damn what anyone else thinks.

sleepplease

HSC
coolkoombaya said:
Doing subjects you enjoy and are good at does not make you seem dumb, quite the contrary.. however, using such offensive lanuage as "cunt" doesn't do wonders for your image in terms of intelligence, tact, empathy etc.

If you enjoy you subjects mate, then that's excellent - don't feel that you have to justify your decisions to anyone else. Nobody is here to judge you, and the fact that you have chosen subjects suited to your abilities is an attribute to your intelligence.

-soph

c0okies

HSC
coolkoombaya said:
WHOAAAAA! im a seftonite here. (ahah dun call me gay, when u go sefton, ull understand) DO NOT GO FORT STREET >< year 11s 2006, as in, year 10s in 2005, aobut 7 of them went. they mite lyk it, but i duno, i reckon its chat. there were sum fort streeters at sefton station the other day. i dun fink they give a good indication on wat fort street is lyk. i duno, i never attened fort street, sefton only, so FUCK FORT STREEETT! GO SEFTON!!

i am not here to insult sefton high, but if someone like you should 'try' to criticise fort street by saying you 'dun fink they give a clear indication on wat fort street is lyk,' you should emphasize what made them appear to be less intelligent than you are; i.e. people go to a selective school for the EDUCATION not for the image; something you obviously didn't know had existed because you clearly haven't taken advantage of it.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
screw em all and come macfields!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol nah , oh and about the subject thingos above? i say screw what other people say and scaling and all that blah blah blah , stick to your strengths and you'll do your best!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I go to Sefton HS and we kick ass in Maths. We're better than many full selective schools such as Fort Street HS with a 47% DA in Maths last year. We had someone top the state in Mathematics last year with about 5 more people from Sefton in the top 20 plus one guy scored 6th in Extension 2 last year and another guy got 2nd in Extension 2 in 2004. Currently, we have one General maths class, one 2 unit maths class, five classes of Extension 1 and 2 classes of Extension 2. We got great Maths teachers considering that Sefton is semi-selective. Our school seem to have great emphasis on Mathematics for some reason because everytime we have a Maths competition, the bell times are adjusted just so that everyone can do the test together. With other competitions such as writing and science, the bell times are never adjusted.
English, on the other hand....we have some corrputed teachers so lets not speak of it........:D
Our grade seems to doing pretty well so far. Top performing school in Western Sydney for Science Olympiads and a guy topped the state in accelerated Khmer Continuers....
You Class of 2007 Seftoners better achieve around the same level if not better!!!!!

coolkoombaya

HSC
Trebla said:
I go to Sefton HS and we kick ass in Maths. We're better than many full selective schools such as Fort Street HS with a 47% DA in Maths last year. We had someone top the state in Mathematics last year with about 5 more people from Sefton in the top 20 plus one guy scored 6th in Extension 2 last year and another guy got 2nd in Extension 2 in 2004. Currently, we have one General maths class, one 2 unit maths class, five classes of Extension 1 and 2 classes of Extension 2. We got great Maths teachers considering that Sefton is semi-selective. Our school seem to have great emphasis on Mathematics for some reason because everytime we have a Maths competition, the bell times are adjusted just so that everyone can do the test together. With other competitions such as writing and science, the bell times are never adjusted.
English, on the other hand....we have some corrputed teachers so lets not speak of it........:D
Our grade seems to doing pretty well so far. Top performing school in Western Sydney for Science Olympiads and a guy topped the state in accelerated Khmer Continuers....
You Class of 2007 Seftoners better achieve around the same level if not better!!!!!
yeah! wat he said man. and we got handball lines now, but i said dat b4. oh yeah, we have a tissue paper dispense in the boys toilet now. (nobody actually takes dumps though. i fink) yeah man, we'll make the most out of wat we have. some ppl complain in the school, dat we're too cheap. yeah we're cheap, but look how much we have to pay for the school fees, not much in comparison to other schools. and yeah, sum of u dun even pay all the fees. but in sefton, some things, could be better, stuff dat u dun have to pay for. ie the attitudes of the principal. i duno, fitzy went to that otehr school. he turns red and his belly full shakes when he laughs.

coolkoombaya

HSC
c0okies said:
i am not here to insult sefton high, but if someone like you should 'try' to criticise fort street by saying you 'dun fink they give a clear indication on wat fort street is lyk,' you should emphasize what made them appear to be less intelligent than you are; i.e. people go to a selective school for the EDUCATION not for the image; something you obviously didn't know had existed because you clearly haven't taken advantage of it.
yeah man, everyone insults sefton, dosent really matter, its all good. yeha i guess i didnt see why we go to a selective school for. but arent all schools for education. so seletcives schools arent realyl all dat special then. i guess ill try to make the most out of everything then. as for image and stuff, its the image vs substance thingo. sum ppl appear all that, but really arent that, and sum ppl appear lyk crap, but are more than just crap. really vague wat i just said, but yeah. when i go school tomoroow, im going to try to take advantage of my selective school offerings and see wat it brings.

sleepplease said:
however, using such offensive lanuage as "cunt" doesn't do wonders for your image in terms of intelligence, tact, empathy etc.

-soph
yeah, sorry matey, im trying to cut down on swearing. it flares up every now and then, but overal, swearing is on the downfall. at one stage, it had no more meaning as it was used so often. so im gonan try cut down swearing, and sumhow, that will make it more offensive sumhow, cos it will be then used rarely. or sumthign lyk that. intresting. i fink i should go sleep now

Last edited:

vizman

HSC
Trebla said:
didn't fort st beat sefton in everything else though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)