• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Selective schools (1 Viewer)

Zi Xu

Pennant Hills, New South Wales, Australia, Austral
HSC
N/A
hi im new to this website so please be nice. i'm in year 9 right now and i want to apply for year 11. I've already failed this year, reasons were obvious because i only got 1 a. there should be a huge improvement this year however. I just wanna know what their expectations would be and what might be in the test for the year 11 entry. the schools i would apply for are baulko, normo, fort street and gosford. btw i dont have any extra curricular stuff... :/ my english is quite horrible, i got band 7 for both writing and reading, this is because my sentence structures are bad, my ideas are basic and i cant manage my time properly, especially in tests. So could anyone give me any tips for english? :/

nifkeh

HSC
hey :) you need to practice doing short answer questions and essays and try your hand at creative writing. To impress them it's good to have a good report (within A's and B's) and add in those external math/english/science/geography/history comps certificates with credits or distinctions or high distinctions :) You should try doing co curriculars, like sport or just regular weekly stuff like community service/charity work. I think baulko would be tough, but if you got a good portfolio they will be sure to accept you :) so don't be too worried, work at your english and other subjects, send them to the school you're interested in - if it's good it is hard for them to reject you. :) good luck!

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
its different now, i study alot more now. i dont even play anymore
Play some games, live life and get out there. It's fine to play games and procrastinate once in a while - I fall victim to this on so many occasions. You can't exactly measure how you'll go in examinations through the amount you study. I know people who don't study that much - they simply study what is necessary and leave it at that. It's fine for you to study but forgive me if i'm wrong, you sound like the sort of person who does nothing but goes to class, listens and note takes everything and studies at home in preparation for exams. Please, it's only year nine and I don't remember going that hard out even. Just do fine in your reports (Bs are ok) and I believe for many of the schools you're applying for, there is an entrance exam so you should rather focus on that. May I ask, why do you want to move schools and also, what extra curriculars do you have to offer?

Balls2u

HSC
You don't need to full out study to achieve straight As, just organise your time and put more effort into your assignments/preparation for exams next year. I basically last minuted all my tasks, played games all day and managed straight As at my current (not so good) selective school. Take a look at some year 12 band 6 level essays to improve your essay writing skills, always ask your teacher for feedback I guess as well. At the beginning of the year is when you need to look at joining some extra co activities, check your bulletin during rollcall in the morning. Debating, public speaking, chess, grade sport are some key things you should be aiming for next year that make your application stand out more when applying for a school. Try keeping up in marks with the top achieving students of your grade. With the exams just revise through the entire year 10 5.3 maths syllabus and read lots of books to become more articulate in writing tasks/efficient at comprehension tasks. All the best

Zi Xu

Pennant Hills, New South Wales, Australia, Austral
HSC
N/A
I'm just taking this seriously because I really want to move schools. Why I want to move schools? i attend one of the lowest tier high school (wont go further in detail) and i just want to go to a school with the environment where people actually want to learn something...

nightweaver066

HSC
Something you should take up at this early stage is reading. Keep reading and don't stop lol. Whether it be novels, books, magazines, newspapers, whatever. Just read.

You will not regret it and it does wonders for your vocabulary and in developing the way you write.

xxAkiko

HSC
N/A
I suggest you take up some extra curricular activities and get awards from some competitions, selective schools see these things as important :)
Just a good report with nothing else might not be enough for the schools you are applying for, good luck :D

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Why not Sydney Boys -__-? I know its a bit late but anyways :)
Um you could get more involved in stuff e.g Chess club, debating...even if they don't let you in usually you can still remain involved in the program in some way. Grades obviously count a lot but you seem to have gotten that down :). but remember, they'll be like why should we choose you, we already got a bunch of smart kids. So you like have to show them exactly WHY they need you, and this is done through the undertaking of extracurricular stuff to show that you are the more deserving candidate and will be the better candidate to "enrich" the school and so on and so forth. Good luck in your quest :)

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
hi im new to this website so please be nice. i'm in year 9 right now and i want to apply for year 11. I've already failed this year, reasons were obvious because i only got 1 a. there should be a huge improvement this year however. I just wanna know what their expectations would be and what might be in the test for the year 11 entry. the schools i would apply for are baulko, normo, fort street and gosford. btw i dont have any extra curricular stuff... :/ my english is quite horrible, i got band 7 for both writing and reading, this is because my sentence structures are bad, my ideas are basic and i cant manage my time properly, especially in tests. So could anyone give me any tips for english? :/

I am in Year 12 and doing Ext. 2 English. I am also an English tutor for Years 7-10 and plan to be a teacher when I leave school.

Private Message me if you want some help. :)

~ Chris

yobdog

HSC
Hi i am currently enrolled in Gosford High School and am in year 10 and most of the new people come in by showing their reports to the principal. All you need is straight a's prefferably 2 b's and rest a's would be good too. Just make sure you don't have any problems with your attendance and all will be good :) i hope you come to our school

Carsbooks

HSC
Ummm did anyone get into Normo?
I'm just wondering what happens if you fail the interview coz I have a friend who's going tomorrow but he also tried out for better schools so I want him to go there instead??

MissyL

HSC
yeah i got in normo, but rejecting it for Fort St (which i've already gotten into). I'm Zi Xu btw lol and i can't log into that account :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)