Self serve checkouts (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How is the money reinvested? What other industries will it be invested in and why are the new customer service jobs created there less efficient than ones at supermarkets?
When people have money, they invest it in things. Building, buying, constructing. This will always exist. A dollar saved on wasteful checkout inefficiency can be put somewhere it is needed, a developing business that needs a leg up.

The most efficient of machines, the market, determines where it will be reinvested. Jobs will be created wherever they are needed.

Surely with technology the loss of all kinds of jobs could be justified in the name of efficiency?
Certainly. The money saved through corporate efficiency will be reinvested in the economy, creating new jobs and industries.

Your Henry Ford case example is in a First World country. Something like this isn't practical in a Third World country with almost non-existent labour laws and where torrid conditions are out of sight and out of mind of Western consumers.
If the conditions are so bad, the workers can choose not to work there.

How can you be so sure that equally mindless and easy jobs will be created in other industries? Its such an idealistic notion.

You can't deny that ultimately, we will reach a stage where there are no such jobs left - everything that doesn't require significant intellect can be done by a machine. What, in your utopian textbook world, happens to the dumbest of humans then?
If you're too useless or lazy to learn some basic skills I do not give a fuck.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
When people have money, they invest it in things. Building, buying, constructing. This will always exist. A dollar saved on wasteful checkout inefficiency can be put somewhere it is needed, a developing business that needs a leg up.

The most efficient of machines, the market, determines where it will be reinvested. Jobs will be created wherever they are needed.

Certainly. The money saved through corporate efficiency will be reinvested in the economy, creating new jobs and industries.

If the conditions are so bad, the workers can choose not to work there.

If you're too useless or lazy to learn some basic skills I do not give a fuck.
Thank you for your answers.

With the 'choose not work there' bit, what do they do instead? Starve?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you for your answers.

With the 'choose not work there' bit, what do they do instead? Starve?
Learn. Pick up some skills. Build their own machines. Work for less than the cost of maintaining a machine.

There's always going to be menial labour which is better done by human than machine. Bricklaying, for instance.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Man third world sucks. I'm not totally opposed to welfare and charity. But the idea that business should be run with anything less than perfect efficiency to artificially create jobs is madness, it hurts workers at every level.

Imagery

HSC
Nah that sounds like a pretty good idea, I have to say.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i've only ever actually used them once or twice before. i like them, but don't think they will ever fully replace checkout staff. whilst they might seem faster, and probably are, for a few items, it's actually just waiting in line, by the very design of the machines you wouldnt be able to ring your items up faster than a good checkout operator

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
:( used one yesterday @ Woolworths Gordon. Out of 6 machines, 1 was broken, and another broke infront of me while is was waiting. Then the downsyndromes infront of me all had issues. *sigh* and they all had to look for the barcodes ... sigh - its on the fucking bottom of the box.

SpoonSamba

HSC
I love them. So much less embarrassing to buy condoms/tampons/incontinence pads for my nan

Unless you get stuck behind some retard with a trolley filled with fresh produce... like just go to the girl who know what shes doing dumbass

HSC
i've only ever actually used them once or twice before. i like them, but don't think they will ever fully replace checkout staff. whilst they might seem faster, and probably are, for a few items, it's actually just waiting in line, by the very design of the machines you wouldnt be able to ring your items up faster than a good checkout operator
they're just slow in general. i know what i'm doing and they JUST DON'T GO AS QUICK AS I WANT THEM TO.

ps - i never, ever want to work in a store with self serve.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Aldi proves that for any half decent amount of produce a combination is the best. Has anyone been there? They scan everything really fast and you have to put it into your trolley really quickly. Sure you have to then arrange it and put it in bags yourself (they don't give out plastic bags) but it vastly increases the throughput of the checkouts, so the overall process is slightly quicker for everyone. Of course they have the packaging and such designed for this which affects the aesthetics but who cares?

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Very efficient if you only have a few things.

It's not always for uneducated mindless retards though sometimes young people just need jobs to pay for uni and transport

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)