Self-tuition thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
N/A
Self-tuition students are those who undertake Higher School Certificate courses without having:

• attended a school/TAFE institute in year of Higher School Certificate examinations or after 30th June of
that year
• having completed an internal component at a school/TAFE institute
• achieved preliminary qualifications for chosen subjects prior to Higher School Certificate examinations

Self-tuition students sit the Higher School Certificate examinations with the marks achieved in the examinations being listed as their overall subject mark. These marks are used for the calculation of the UAI.

e.g. if a student achieved 93 in the Higher School Certificate Geography exam as a self-tuition student, their final Geography mark would be 93 and would be used in calculating their UAI.
if a student sat the Higher School Certificate at a school and achieved 93 in the Geography exam and 85 as their school assessment mark, their final Geography mark would be moderated and used to calculate their UAI.

n.b. an internal school assessment mark is not required in achieving a UAI as a self-tuition student. Available subjects are open to all students of self-tuition.

Self-tuition students need to be aware of the following information

• New South Wales students not attending a government school, a school accredited by the Board, a TAFE institute or a school outside NSW recognised by the Board, may study Higher School Certificate courses by self-tuition.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition may study an unlimited number of units. They are not eligible for the award of the Higher School Certificate or Record of Achievement but are eligible for a Higher School Certificate Result Notice. Their results may be used for the calculation of the UAI.
• Each candidate studying by self-tuition must complete an entry form correctly and ensure it is returned to the Board of Studies by 30 June. Changes to entries must be advised by letter, and addressed to Student Records at the Board of Studies.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition are personally responsible for obtaining copies of the syllabus, support materials, texts and other references relevant to their chosen studies.
Candidates studying by self-tuition do not have to complete HSC assessment tasks and their Result Notice will record only their examination mark(s).
• It is the responsibility of candidates studying by self-tuition to ensure that they access an HSC examination timetable. These may be obtained from the Office of the Board of Studies. No allowance will be made for candidates who do not attend an examination session because they have misread the timetable.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition cannot submit an illness/misadventure/appeal.
• Approval of applications is also subject to the availability of Board approved security provisions for the conduct of examinations and the student’s ability to comply with requirements for the conduct of examinations.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition are subject to the instructions of the Board’s supervisors and school authorities at their examination centres.
• Copies of the list of equipment for examinations will be posted to each candidate.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition and presenting for HSC courses must have been resident in Australia for at least 17 months prior to 30th June of HSC year, unless otherwise approved by the Board.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition who do not reside in NSW will be required to pay examination fees.

Course available for study by self-tuition

• Ancient History
• Business Studies
• Economics
• Engineering Studies
• English (Standard)
• English (Advanced)
• English as a Second Language (subject to eligibility)
• English Extension 1
• General Mathematics
• Geography
• Information Processes and Technology
• Languages (all courses, subject to availability)
• Legal Studies
• Mathematics
• Mathematics Extension 1
• Mathematics Extension 2
• Modern History
• Personal Development, Health and Physical Education
• Software Design and Development
• Studies of Religion I and II

Since English as a Second Language (ESL) and some Languages courses have eligibility requirements, students undertaking these courses by self-tuition must provide a signed statutory declaration, witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, stating that the student meets the eligibility requirements for these courses. This applies to the following Languages courses: all Beginner courses, and Continuers courses where there are also Background Speakers courses, ie Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese and Korean.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
Candidates undertaking Higher School Certificate courses as self-tuition students need to be aware of the following information:
• New South Wales students not attending a government school, a school accredited by the Board, a TAFE institute or a school outside NSW recognised by the Board, may study Higher School Certificate courses by self-tuition.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition may study an unlimited number of units. They are not eligible for the award of the Higher School Certificate or Record of Achievement but are eligible for a Higher School Certificate Result Notice. Their results may be used for the calculation of the UAI.
• Each candidate studying by self-tuition must complete an entry form correctly and ensure it is returned to the Board of Studies by 30 June. Changes to entries must be advised by letter, and addressed to Student Records at the Board of Studies.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition are personally responsible for obtaining copies of the syllabus, support materials, texts and other references relevant to their chosen studies.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition do not have to complete HSC assessment tasks and their Result Notice will record only their examination mark(s).
• It is the responsibility of candidates studying by self-tuition to ensure that they access an HSC examination timetable. These may be obtained from the Office of the Board of Studies. No allowance will be made for candidates who do not attend an examination session because they have misread the timetable.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition cannot submit an illness/misadventure/appeal.
• Approval of applications is also subject to the availability of Board approved security provisions for the conduct of examinations and the student’s ability to comply with requirements for the conduct of examinations.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition are subject to the instructions of the Board’s supervisors and school authorities at their examination centres.
• Copies of the list of equipment for examinations will be posted to each candidate.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition and presenting for HSC courses must have been resident in Australia for at least 17 months prior to 30th June of HSC year, unless otherwise approved by the Board.
• Candidates studying by self-tuition who do not reside in NSW will be required to pay examination fees.
Course available for study by self-tuition
Ancient History
Business Studies
Economics
Engineering Studies
English (Standard)
English (Advanced)
English as a Second Language (subject to eligibility)
English Extension 1
General Mathematics
Geography
Information Processes and Technology
Languages (all courses, subject to availability)
Legal Studies
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 2
Modern History
Personal Development, Health and Physical Education
Software Design and Development
Studies of Religion I and II

Since English as a Second Language (ESL) and some Languages courses have eligibility requirements, students undertaking these courses by self-tuition must provide a signed statutory declaration, witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, stating that the student meets the eligibility requirements for these courses. This applies to the following Languages courses: all Beginner courses, and Continuers courses where there are also Background Speakers courses, ie Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese and Korean.
Wooo, that's cool. You can actually do HSC without going to school! I wasn't aware of that scheme!

I would like to do it as long as my mum does not mind... :D

By the way, if you self-teach, does it mean you can accelerate on your own?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
SO like, when was this put in place? Get a UAI without waking up 7am in the morning!!!!

HSC
N/A
Like since forever! Not many people know about it lol

I noticed there was no information on the net so thought this document would be helpful to future/current HSC students, especially those seeking a second chance :)

HSC
N/A
I was referring to current HSC students who may have, due to specific adversities, not have done as well as previously possible

HSC
N/A
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
I was referring to current HSC students who may have, due to specific adversities, not have done as well as previously possible
:wave:

bawd

HSC
I'd just like to know, how do we apply for this? Just start not going to school?

Imagine...not having to do school assessments/assignments. :rolleyes:

If I had the self-discipline to apply myself to my studies, I'd probably consider doing this. But there are advantages to having a teacher, indefinitely.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Wow, never heard of this... sucks that the subjects are so limited though.

lolokay

HSC
Wow, no school. That would be pretty damn cool.
What would the requirements be to do this? Would you have to be at a certain schooling level already, or could, say, an able 10 year old kid do this if they wanted? (just curious)

HSC
N/A
I'd just like to know, how do we apply for this? Just start not going to school?

For the Board of Studies to accept you as a student of self-tuition you must unenrol from your current school. Students must not attend a government school, a school accredited by the Board, a TAFE institute or a school outside NSW recognised by the Board in year of examinations or after 30th June.
If a student wishes to enrol as a self-tuition student they must contact Paul Jackson at the Board of Studies Office. Applications and necessary documents will be sent to the student upon discussing possible enrolment with Paul.
Submission of applications closes on 30th June.

What would the requirements be to do this? Would you have to be at a certain schooling level already, or could, say, an able 10 year old kid do this if they wanted?

As a prerequisite for achieving an UAI the Board of Studies requires a minimum of School Certificate or equivalent. Preliminary is not necessary however is advantageous to the student as it provides a solid foundation for future studies in the Higher School Certificate. If School Certificate or equivalent has not been attained the student may still be eligible for self-tuition due to their age or circumstance. Students should contact Paul Jackson to discuss eligibility.

I'm confused about this. If you do this self-tuition scheme, does that mean you can actually do all of the assessments for the course again in the year of your HSC without doing them at TAFE or repeating the grade again?

As a student of self-tuition you do not sit assessments - an internal component is not required in achieving a UAI through self-tuition. Students sit the Higher School Certificate examinations with the marks achieved listed as their overall subject mark.
e.g. if a student achieved 93 in the Higher School Certificate Geography exam as a self-tuition student, their final Geography mark would be 93 and would be used in calculating their UAI.
if a student sat the Higher School Certificate at a school and achieved 93 in the Geography exam and 85 as their Geography school assessment mark, their final Geography mark would be moderated and used to calculate their UAI.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
To OP: What about School Certificate? Do you need to complete this? (I guess)

HSC
N/A
To be eligible for an UAI you must have a minimum of School Certificate or equivalent. If School certificate or equivalent has not been attained the student may still be eligible for self-tuition depending on age or circumstance. To verify eligibility, potential students should contact the Board of Studies Office to ascertain whether they may be exempt from holding such qualifications.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
woah that sounds interesting although i wud not do that, cud be fun but boring, unless maybe u hav another self tuition guy with you :p then it wud b group tuition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)