Hey there Macquarians...

Has anyone done:

GEOS111: Geographies of Global Change

or

POL168: Introduction to Global Politics

or

HIST114: The World Since 1945: An Australian Perspective

If so, what did you think of them?

I'm trying to reshuffle my sem 2 timetable and I have a timetable dilemma- I can't do both Geo and Pol because they both have a lecture on at the same time and don't run evening lectures. I could do one unit externally but I need the extra motivation you get from actually going to classes.

I'm also considering doing Hist114 but I'm not too sure...or I thought instead an ancient history unit might be nice for a change (Ahst 101 or 102??) but I'm not sure if I should since I've only ever studied modern.

Anyway...I'm changing all of this after discovering that Ling and Sociology aren't really my 'thing'. The other unit I think I'm doing next sem is Anth 150.

So, advice anyone?

This turned out a bit longer than I intended :p

Anyone else feel free to post your sem 2 timetable problems too...but I think I'm probably a bit of an early bird.

X

xeuyrawp

If HIST114 is taken by Professor Roberts next semester, try to kill yourself rather than go. This man is the most boring lecturer of all time. Imagine a meek little Australian rodent trying to wear a suit and lecture to a room full of people - this is essentially what you've got there.

AHST101 wouldn't be a bad choice. It's an easy Distinction if you can figure out that the exam is precirculated (memorise) and that the rest of assesment marks is the essay and the tute papers (piece of cake). Depends on who the guest lecturers are this year, though, because Ian Plant can be a tad boring... You might come out with an awesome mark, but you may not have learnt much.

As for ANTH, I'm constantly hearing people talk about how awesome it is, so I'd go for that over a POL unit. The POL units I've sat in on have reasonable lecturers just read out notes, so it's a bit of a shame.

Why not sit in on all the lectures for the first couple of weeks, and then make a decision?

ALLLICE

HSC
Thanks for the advice :)

PwarYuex said:
Why not sit in on all the lectures for the first couple of weeks, and then make a decision?
That's a good idea... I just might do that

ALLLICE

HSC
melsc said:
Or do the ones you want and listen to the ilecture for the other
That's a good idea but I'm really slack with ilectures so it wouldn't really work =/

X

xeuyrawp

ALLLICE said:
That's a good idea but I'm really slack with ilectures so it wouldn't really work =/
Yeah it wouldn't work with me, either. I really need to be assessed to keep up with something.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ALLLICE said:
lol what the hell?? this was posted at 4.30 am... ur worse than me :p
Damn straight!

*just woke up*

K.

HSC
DO ANTH150, seriously, unit is the BEST subject! Its not difficult and super enjoyable!

Its an easy pass.

I'll be doing geos111!, if you wanted to do that, you can sponge off my notes..

ALLLICE

HSC
Well, so far I've decided I'm doing Anth150, Ahst 101 (as it turns out one of my best mates is doing it too) and I think I'll do Geos111 instead of Pol. I just need one more unit for next sem (cos I need 24 credit points this yr)...any suggestions for awesome 100 level humanities type units?

I'll be doing geos111!, if you wanted to do that, you can sponge off my notes..
:wave: I guess I might see you around next sem then

Last edited:

K.

HSC
ALLLICE said:
Well, so far I've decided I'm doing Anth150, Ahst 101 (as it turns out one of my best mates is doing it too) and I think I'll do Geos111 instead of Pol. I just need one more unit for next sem (cos I need 24 credit points this yr)...any suggestions for awesome 100 level humanities type units?

:wave: I guess I might see you around next sem then

ohhh you'll have a great semester, I did anth150 and ahst101 this time last year, most enjoyable! Yeah, I don't know anyone doing geos111, so :wave:new lecture pal.

Don't even think about ahst104, its horrible.

I assume you have 12cp already, this seems interesting and not as sordid as the title suggests- http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2007&unitCode=ELS203\

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
soc180, phil131/2?

i might pop into them next sem for fun, and maybe some random geos unit

ALLLICE

HSC
K. said:
ohhh you'll have a great semester, I did anth150 and ahst101 this time last year, most enjoyable! Yeah, I don't know anyone doing geos111, so :wave:new lecture pal.

Don't even think about ahst104, its horrible.

I assume you have 12cp already, this seems interesting and not as sordid as the title suggests- http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2007&unitCode=ELS203\
lol "ELS203: The Science of Sex"...the course outline does look interesting but I'll pass :p

What do you guys think of: MUS 102: Passion Rebellion and Identity in Popular Music, ENGL 106: Literature and the Screen and PHIL 131: Mind, meaning and metaphysics? Opinions?

soc180, phil131/2?

i might pop into them next sem for fun, and maybe some random geos unit
As for SOC180...I'm already enrolled in that one but I'm kinda not liking SOC175 that much so I'm gonna do a different unit.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its boring.

Rofl.

Fun subjects:

SOC180, AHST103, JPN123, PHIL131/132/134/230/232/234...you get the idea :p

ALLLICE

HSC
AsyLum said:
Its boring.

Rofl.

Fun subjects:

SOC180, AHST103, JPN123, PHIL131/132/134/230/232/234...you get the idea :p
rebellion+music=boring??? eh, oh well I still have heaps of time to sort this out...but doing this now makes me feel like I'm doing something constructive when I should really be doing one of my assessments...blarrg...sleep would be nice too :(

K.

HSC
Sleep with Mike.

There was no subtle way to suggest that.

:wave::santa:

msn me geos111 wench.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ALLLICE said:
rebellion+music=boring??? eh, oh well I still have heaps of time to sort this out...but doing this now makes me feel like I'm doing something constructive when I should really be doing one of my assessments...blarrg...sleep would be nice too :(
Its not the content, in so much how its taught. The department isn't really a 'theoretical' one, so you'll find yourself bored cos your tutor probably won't know how to generate discussion (thats what I found anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)