• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2006) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Re: Semester 1 Chatter

I prefer the intext system (Chicago or Harvard). Footnotes are an annoyance, especially when you have to leave the main body of text in order to cite a reference whenever it is necessary.

On another note, the Biochem building's very own evangelical has returned (or I just noticed her today for the first time this year).

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC

All last year I handed in essays incredibly late on the premise that i'd just write them better in the extra time to counteract the penalty. Didnt happen. You just end up leaving it all to the night before you decide to hand it in anyway.

transcendent

HSC
N/A

I have two late assignments that when I hand in I'll get 0% no matter how good or bad it is.

Near the near of another semester. Geez time flies by.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC

I feel guilty when I leave things to the last few days. But reality is that there's a small chance you can get things done "really early". So I just accept it, and I usually start a week before.

transcedent, do u still hav to hand them in, though? wat a waste of time

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC

Someone teach me the complete content of HSTY1025, HSTY1045 and PHIL1011 in three weeks, please. Thanks!

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A

c_james said:
Someone teach me the complete content of HSTY1025, HSTY1045 and PHIL1011 in three weeks, please. Thanks!

Someone with 100UAI teach me PHIL1011 {Not beauty, because it's BS - wait...} in three weeks. Kthxbai

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Which bit specifically?

The Reality section should be easy enough to understand - DBM is a fantastic lecturer, so long as you read over the lecture notes and do a little reading on whatever you don't understand, its easy enough to do well.

Ethics - hmm... this section is harder to bull-shit. Again, I remember Dr. West's lecture notes to be fairly comprehensive and informative. Listening to the philosophy wankers in your tute always helps.

Beauty - you are right, its total BS. Justin (jhakka) and I didn't attend any of those lectures, and somehow, both of us managed to (from memory) get a credit and a distinction respectively for the subject, so don't worry too much. Just know who said what, eg. I remember something about Tolstoy saying that it isn't actually about the art, but the intention behind the art or something.

Past exam papers are available on the library database:
http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/exams/arts.html

HSTY 1045 - my advice to c_james: Skip the topics you don't like, and prepare at least 4 of the topics that you do like for the exam, depending on the exam format. If they keep it the same as they have in previous years - ie. they have heaps of questions and you pick 2, then you can gamble a little and skip ones that you really hated.

HSC

cjames: did you get the HSTY1045 exam handout on the wednesday lecture last week. It tells us what areas are going to be in the test.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC

Silver Persian said:
cjames: did you get the HSTY1045 exam handout on the wednesday lecture last week. It tells us what areas are going to be in the test.
Yes, I have this handout, and the way they've structured the exam pretty much means you need to know everything. Uh oh. No matter, it'll just mean a fair bit of cramming.

Heh, and ujuphleg, I'd take your advice with the gamble thing, but I'm the kind of student that reaaaally doesn't like leaving things to chance. Plus, despite the fact that I haven't been consistently studying for HSTY1045, there's no real part of the course that I dislike per se.

PHIL1011 will be a cakewalk I think, except for the ethics part. Handley's lectures were pretty haphazard and all over the place. His online notes are far better though.

For beauty - all I have to say is TOLSTOY, TOLSTOY, TOLSTOY (infectiousness, sincerity, yada yada yada...) Oh, and Brillo Boxes.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A

ujuphleg said:
Which bit specifically?

The Reality section should be easy enough to understand - DBM is a fantastic lecturer, so long as you read over the lecture notes and do a little reading on whatever you don't understand, its easy enough to do well.

Ethics - hmm... this section is harder to bull-shit. Again, I remember Dr. West's lecture notes to be fairly comprehensive and informative. Listening to the philosophy wankers in your tute always helps.

Beauty - you are right, its total BS. Justin (jhakka) and I didn't attend any of those lectures, and somehow, both of us managed to (from memory) get a credit and a distinction respectively for the subject, so don't worry too much. Just know who said what, eg. I remember something about Tolstoy saying that it isn't actually about the art, but the intention behind the art or something.

Past exam papers are available on the library database:
http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/exams/arts.html

HSTY 1045 - my advice to c_james: Skip the topics you don't like, and prepare at least 4 of the topics that you do like for the exam, depending on the exam format. If they keep it the same as they have in previous years - ie. they have heaps of questions and you pick 2, then you can gamble a little and skip ones that you really hated.

Hadleys notes were more comprehensive online than the haphazard scribbles on the front blackboard. Too old school for my liking, I skipped quite a few Ethics lectures, so I might take a gamble and print off WebCT discussions/Hads lecture notes for preps. Thanks Susan!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

c_james said:
Yes, I have this handout, and the way they've structured the exam pretty much means you need to know everything. Uh oh. No matter, it'll just mean a fair bit of cramming.

Heh, and ujuphleg, I'd take your advice with the gamble thing, but I'm the kind of student that reaaaally doesn't like leaving things to chance. Plus, despite the fact that I haven't been consistently studying for HSTY1045, there's no real part of the course that I dislike per se.

PHIL1011 will be a cakewalk I think, except for the ethics part. Handley's lectures were pretty haphazard and all over the place. His online notes are far better though.

For beauty - all I have to say is TOLSTOY, TOLSTOY, TOLSTOY (infectiousness, sincerity, yada yada yada...) Oh, and Brillo Boxes.
Well, have it your way :) I just never saw the point of doing more work that was absolutley necessary.

I remember looking at the exam prep sheet as well thinking, fuck a duck i'm doing to have to know ALL of this crap? But then my friends and I did a bit of stats work to figure out just how much we had to learn and basically cut the stuff we hated.

ameh said:
Too old school for my liking, I skipped quite a few Ethics lectures, so I might take a gamble and print off WebCT discussions/Hads lecture notes for preps. Thanks Susan!
Yeah, most lecturers have better online notes than what they say/write in class. Exceptions to this would be Braddon-Mitchell (who was surely one of the best lecturers I had in first year) and Frank Stilwell (who is an ECOP lecturer who just rules - he has a book too, which was also excellent and has saved my arse this year)

If either of you feel that the notes for this year are a little haphazard and could do with more, chuck me an e-mail and I'll send you last years lecture notes, which I didn't delete.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC

ive been getting mostly high C's and low D's so far

hmmm, pretty indifferent to that.

oh, susan, my dear susan is that PHIL lecture notes offer available to me as well :):):):)????

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Yeah sure.

Do you want me to e-mail the zipped file of Ethics notes to your hotmail account, or do you want me to burn the entire semesters worth of notes onto CD and meet you somewhere on campus with it?

Let me know :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

For the last 5-6 ECON tutes ive been one of only 3-4 who actually turns up.

I was under the impression that there was a maximum number of tutes you could miss or you fail the unit or something? Or am i completely delusional.

J

jhakka

I haven't done a full day of classes for at least the last three weeks. Yay me. :p

Generator

HSC
N/A

Today I missed my only worthwhile lecture so that I could catch X-Men 3. In cost-benefit terms, I know that I came out on top :).

My attitude has been pathetic this semester. Of my three classes that don't have an exam, of late I have only been attending the lectures of one on a weekly basis (and that's in part because it's a small class). Here's to hoping that I'm no longer the disenchanted student come semester 2.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC

60% in PHIL essay, he said it was 'brilliantly written' but i fucked up my central definition (determinism: i gave an example of coercion and said that it portrays the incidence of determinism, hence, libertarianism is incorrect...but then he goes 'coercion is not determinism) and that undermined my entire argument.

oh well expected to fail so this is good i guess.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

lol watched that movie with my gf today. it wasnt bad. hahaha and i couldnt stop laughing during a particularly cheesy dialogue. and my constant ignorant jokes:
'Wait, this movie isn't realistic. They didn't even read the comics. Hulk is meant to be green, not blue'
'Wait....so where's spiderman?'
'I guess that chick was feeling a little blue when she got out of bed today'
'superman could so kick juggernaut's ass. well, unless his ass was made of kryptonite'

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC

There are no past papers for my ELEC1601 course (computer engineering).
Ah.. how would i study 4 it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)