• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

I hardly ever stress, it's kinda awesome

historykidd

HSC

JFK said:
He's too busy recovering from State of Origin.
Well played.

Although 32 metres doesn't really warrant a recovery.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

fuck my group for abandoning me. seriously. they dont even have to wake up early to hand the assignment in.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

I just realised I can take a double sided cheatsheet into my COMP2129. Contemplating whether I'll bring in a giant picture of a cock or something similar just to show my contempt for the institution.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

I forget, but do you have to hand in the cheat sheet at the end of the exam?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

goony said:
I forget, but do you have to hand in the cheat sheet at the end of the exam?
I haven't heard anything to that effect, but then again I have a perfect record (literally 100%, it's fucking amazing) of lecture non-attendance for said subject.

Dude are you doing INFO2120/2820 as well (if 2820 I have a question).

EDIT: Actually this exam's looking fairly sweet, confused about whether JDBC stuff fits into the exam at all, but getting 80% should be fairly easy (Adv components could be tricky cause I have zero idea what to do with recursive and hierarchical SQL

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC

went to bed at 5am :( Now have to get printing done

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
went to bed at 5am :( Now have to get printing done
I went to bed a 2pm, finishing of my sociology of health essay, worth 55%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

withoutaface said:
I haven't heard anything to that effect, but then again I have a perfect record (literally 100%, it's fucking amazing) of lecture non-attendance for said subject.

Dude are you doing INFO2120/2820 as well (if 2820 I have a question).

EDIT: Actually this exam's looking fairly sweet, confused about whether JDBC stuff fits into the exam at all, but getting 80% should be fairly easy (Adv components could be tricky cause I have zero idea what to do with recursive and hierarchical SQL
I'm not sure we need to know about jdbc/stored procedures/OLAP etc. if we're doing 2820, and for jdbc and stuff, pseudocode will do apparently. Alan (lecturer) said that stuff would be for info2120 only and the advanced guys do 2820 material instead, which is pretty sweet because i have no clue about stored procedures.

as for recursive and hierarchical stuff, apparently you get a choice between using recursive and hierarchical sql. IMO i'd just use recursive because it's structured pretty similarly to the datalog stuff we did.

dude, i probably saw you in some of the 2820 classes, were you at the back of those 'tutorials' in eastern ave or just didnt bother to show up to those?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

goony said:
I'm not sure we need to know about jdbc/stored procedures/OLAP etc. if we're doing 2820, and for jdbc and stuff, pseudocode will do apparently. Alan (lecturer) said that stuff would be for info2120 only and the advanced guys do 2820 material instead, which is pretty sweet because i have no clue about stored procedures.

as for recursive and hierarchical stuff, apparently you get a choice between using recursive and hierarchical sql. IMO i'd just use recursive because it's structured pretty similarly to the datalog stuff we did.

dude, i probably saw you in some of the 2820 classes, were you at the back of those 'tutorials' in eastern ave or just didnt bother to show up to those?
Sat at the back for the ones I did attend, left a few early, arrived late, skipped most of the last few. Yeah I'm a pretty bad student.

If you've done the adv revision activity, can you tell me whether this works for calculating out the supervision hierachy in 1b?
Code:
WITH temp(N1, N2) AS
(SELECT N1, N2
FROM supervises
CONNECT BY PRIOR N2=N1);
I understand the hierarchical stuff if the above's accurate, but the recursive stuff I have no idea (well, I've found some stuff on the net, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me) and there's no examples on the site :/

EDIT: If it's similar to datalog I can dig, but wouldn't have a clue about the syntax

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC

yay handed it in. I believe this is the best assignment I've ever handed in. Ever.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

I have never been this scattered about studying ever. And I'm an A+ procrastinator at the best of times. First exam on monday and I have done about half a page of notes and an hour of not-really-concentrating reading for it. Pathetic :/ I have a handle on pretty much anything I could be asked, though. I just cbf consolidating it into study notes.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Further, goony, does this work for the assignment question (Whch I couldn't figure out at the time)?
Code:
WITH Expert (tfn, make, model) AS
(SELECT *
FROM Qualified
UNION ALL
SELECT Expert.tfn, s.substituteMake, s.substituteModel
FROM Expert, Substitute AS s
WHERE Expert.make = s.make AND Expert.model = s.model);

SELECT *
FROM Technician AS t
WHERE EXISTS
(SELECT *
FROM Plane AS p
WHERE p.owner = 'Qantas' AND (t.tfn, p.make, p.model) IN Expert);

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

withoutaface said:
Sat at the back for the ones I did attend, left a few early, arrived late, skipped most of the last few. Yeah I'm a pretty bad student.

If you've done the adv revision activity, can you tell me whether this works for calculating out the supervision hierachy in 1b?
Code:
WITH temp(N1, N2) AS
(SELECT N1, N2
FROM supervises
CONNECT BY PRIOR N2=N1);
I understand the hierarchical stuff if the above's accurate, but the recursive stuff I have no idea (well, I've found some stuff on the net, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me) and there's no examples on the site :/

EDIT: If it's similar to datalog I can dig, but wouldn't have a clue about the syntax
I'm not too good with the hierarchical stuff (the only question i miffed in the last assignment...yet still sanjay gave me full marks for it? :/)...but anyway, i think you need CONNECT_BY_ROOT or something in the select line of that query to make it work. I missed the last tutorial as well, apparently he mentioned all of this there...i'll grab it off a friend when she comes online or something.

For the recursive stuff, he sent us an email about a month ago saying how to translate from datalog to recursive sql (q13 of that assignment).

edit: you need WITH RECURSIVE in the first line, but asides from that yeah that's correct

double edit: i got the notes, he said that was one way of doing it, but a more general answer (easier apply to more situations) would be something like:

Code:
WITH RECURSIVE TCSub(make, model, submake, submodel)
AS
(SELECT make, model, submake1 AS make1, submodel1 AS model1 FROM Substitute)
UNION
(SELECT s.make, s.model, T.make1, T.model1
  FROM Substitute s, TCSub T
  WHERE s.submake=T.make AND s.submodel=T.model)
--another SELECT query here etc etc
and to do it the hierarchy way:

Code:
CREATE VIEW TCSub(make, model, make1,model1) AS
SELECT connect_by_root make, connect_by_root model, submake,submodel
FROM Substitute
CONNECT BY NOCYCLE PRIOR submake = make AND PRIOR submodel = model
--then query your view to see it etc etc

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Thanks muchly. Now looks like the only way I'm gonna fuck this up is if I have a brain explosion in the exam.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

yeah no probs. I'm pretty much in the same boat. Assignments went pretty well so i just have to get that 40% thing in the exam and i'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)