Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

I didn't know it was a joke my mistake. :(

It bothers me because it's disrespectful and glorifies, or at least ignores the less tangible aspects of war. This is bad because it doesn't do enough to stop these acts of senseless death and violence in the future.

Stazi said:
And why shouldn't they. Because you say so? Isn't that trying to impose your own values onto others.
See above.

Stazi said:
huh? you'll be earning more than the average wage in teaching.
I probably should have worded it differently. If you take the average of wealth in Australia and distribute it amongst the population, I'm sure (but could be wrong!) that the average wage would be significantly higher than it is now. And in any case, average is better than both obscenely rich and poor living together.

And yes I was joking about Cuba. I'd love to move to Western Europe or somewhere in New England.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Stazi said:
It's funny how people who did not live in communist states are the ones who actually advocate communism most vocally
It's equally as funny that the richest people are the strongest advocates of capitalism, while the poorest people despise it. :rofl:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I didn't know it was a joke my mistake. :(

It bothers me because it's disrespectful and glorifies, or at least ignores the less tangible aspects of war. This is bad because it doesn't do enough to stop these acts of senseless death and violence in the future.
I don't think you understand it.

I read a story written by a relative who was in a POW camp, and it does impress on you the fact that war is completely shit. However, he also includes fond memories of his mates, the practical jokes they played on each other and other non-depressing things. Lots of war stories are like this. Nobody talks about the death in a positive way, only the life.

There's no glorification of war, but there are positive memories of the people who served in it. Is that wrong? Because that's all the celebratory aspect of ANZAC day is.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Again neb, why are you advocating communism when people in communist states are generally very unhappy. The majority of those living in free markets become much happier (apart from the very poor, which is a small % of people, and can often be the ones that were the people doing a crap job under communist rule but still getting paid the same).

Also about you advocating an equal wage for all. If you spread the riches of the top X% of people the economy will be in decline. Ultimately, what incentive is there for the Packers of this world to buy out other companies and grow our economy if they get $50k/year in return? So, in the first year, you may spread their wealth but after that year that money disappears.

Furthermore, if you also use your logic, under communism the state owns the economy. We will have monopolies in every sector, and the government will have to own run and pay for all our infrastructure. All of a sudden you either have to up the people's taxes, or you have to get the money from elsewhere (But a communist model won't exactly allow for this). So, people pay more tax which, in turn, decreases wages further. I would even guess that the wage you'll earn as a teacher will be lower if Australia undergoes communist rule. But that's ok, because your alcoholic neighbour is earning the same as you.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Silver Persian said:
Vwee gah-vah-reet-ye pah roos-kee Stazi? :)
Da :)

Nebuchanezzar said:
It's equally as funny that the richest people are the strongest advocates of capitalism, while the poorest people despise it. :rofl:
Not really. A lot of blue collar workers love Howard who advocates capitalism more than Rudd. He seems to have the general support of the aussie battler if I'm not mistaken?

scarybunny said:
I don't think you understand it.

I read a story written by a relative who was in a POW camp, and it does impress on you the fact that war is completely shit. However, he also includes fond memories of his mates, the practical jokes they played on each other and other non-depressing things. Lots of war stories are like this. Nobody talks about the death in a positive way, only the life.

There's no glorification of war, but there are positive memories of the people who served in it. Is that wrong? Because that's all the celebratory aspect of ANZAC day is.
No, but what you have to understand is that Neb believes that a day can only serve one purpose: to grieve. Not strangely, I have never heard people who served in the war and lost best mates opposing Anzac day services and later celebrations.

"War shouldn't be celebrated"
ANZAC day doesn't celebrate it. Full stop. Exclamation mark. Other things are celebrated afterwards.

Again, Neb, look at your best friend communist Russia: they have days of remembrance followed by a celebration to commemorate the end of the war. Days can serve two purposes.

neafoo

HSC

If there was a stronger word than 'pwned' i'd contemplate using it right now :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Well Neb has his good points. He's a good example of why degrees shouldn't be paid for by the tax payer

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC

Hopefully he'll grow out of his communist fanatic stage. Bahahahahahahaha.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I don't expect any of you to really be swayed. After all - it's ANZAC Day. It's taboo. :D

And no-one's yet be pwned. Once again - taboo. I can't expect too much from Australians. :rofl:

scarybunny said:
Yes, because it's shadowing the more important stuff.

Malfoy said:
Generalisations are bad, Neb.
And of Stazi's generalisations?

Stazi said:
Again neb, why are you advocating communism when people in communist states are generally very unhappy.
lol. Interestingly, the poorest countries on earth are the least happy. There's no correlation.

Stazi said:
Also about you advocating an equal wage for all. If you spread the riches of the top X% of people the economy will be in decline.
But the redistrubution of wealth will be much better for all. I honestly don't know where this economy>all argument came from. I hope it dies one day. :(

StaziUltimately said:
Poor argument. What incentive is there for the Smiths of this world to go out and clean toilets all day? They still do it, don't they?

Stazi said:
Furthermore, if you also use your logic, under communism the state owns the economy. We will have monopolies in every sector, and the government will have to own run and pay for all our infrastructure. All of a sudden you either have to up the people's taxes, or you have to get the money from elsewhere (But a communist model won't exactly allow for this). So, people pay more tax which, in turn, decreases wages further. I would even guess that the wage you'll earn as a teacher will be lower if Australia undergoes communist rule. But that's ok, because your alcoholic neighbour is earning the same as you.
Yeah once again that last sentence is totally untrue for communism so lol. And I don't see any problem with paying more taxes for increased services, nor do most people apparently, so lol more.

Stazi said:
Not really. A lot of blue collar workers love Howard who advocates capitalism more than Rudd. He seems to have the general support of the aussie battler if I'm not mistaken?
I'm sorry...did you miss the results of the last election?

Stazi said:
Not strangely, I have never heard people who served in the war and lost best mates opposing Anzac day services and later celebrations.
Perhaps you could have talked to my late Uncle Noel who first got me on to these ideas? Nice try. :rofl:

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC

Facetious statement. We all know communists are forever idealists and never grow out of it. Except me of course.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I don't expect any of you to really be swayed. After all - it's ANZAC Day. It's taboo. :D

And no-one's yet be pwned. Once again - taboo. I can't expect too much from Australians. :rofl:
Ok, this is how things work. If the majority of people believe that someone is pwned, then obviously, they are pwned. The majority of people posting on this thread are (again) laughing at you. I wonder who's pwned?

Yes, because it's shadowing the more important stuff.
So there's a rule that says you have to dedicate 24 hours exactly to grief. Then do as you please, guyz. Once again, ANZAC day isn't dedicated to thinking about the horrors of war. It's also dedicated to the celebration of Australian spirit and culture. A day can serve two purposes.

Do you use one computer to listen to music, another to go on the internet, another to do assignments and another one to play games? Or do you combine a few elements into one.

And of Stazi's generalisations?
My generalisations often are preceded with 'generally speaking' or something of that nature. Also, they're logical, rather than illogical.

lol. Interestingly, the poorest countries on earth are the least happy. There's no correlation.
Bhutan? One of the happiest nations in the world, and also one of the poorest. Do you think that under communism the poorest countries will stop being poor? If their markets are closed and everything is done 'in-house', nothing changes (with the exception of a lack of FDI, and thus foreign income flows).

And capitalism also increases average incomes: look at China. Communism = a lot of unhappiness, poverty and depression. Fear of the government also exists. Progressive liberalisation = higher GDP/capita = more purchasing power = more access to resources, etc.

But the redistrubution of wealth will be much better for all. I honestly don't know where this economy>all argument came from. I hope it dies one day. :(
Who is it better for? It's not better than people who are earning more than the average (which is 50% of the population). It won't even be better for probably another 25% of the population, as their income will also decline due to higher taxes and lower industry.

Poor argument. What incentive is there for the Smiths of this world to go out and clean toilets all day? They still do it, don't they?
The incentive for them is their paycheck. They are likely not educated, and don't have much work experience. This is the most logical way for them to make money.

My argument isn't poor. If you are earning $50k/year, are you going to work 12 hours/day, 7 days/week in the pursuit of money and creating an empire? An empire that will create an insane number of new jobs and bring money into Australia? Wouldn't you slack off. Hell, there's loads of articles talking about reward and effort being correlated.

Yeah once again that last sentence is totally untrue for communism so lol. And I don't see any problem with paying more taxes for increased services, nor do most people apparently, so lol more.
Why isn't it true? Did you grow up under a communist system? My grandfather and father worked with many such workers. They put in a lot of work, whilst other people didn't give a shit. If everyone is paid the average wage, why wouldn't the alcoholic get the average wage?

I'm sorry...did you miss the results of the last election?
No...We don't have much of an Aussie Battler anymore with high incomes per capita and purchasing power parity compared to other nations.

Perhaps you could have talked to my late Uncle Noel who first got me on to these ideas? Nice try. :rofl:
Yeah maybe I should. I shouldn't have made the generalisation but I would guess that the majority of diggers like ANZAC day. Did your late Uncle Noel also get you onto the communism ideas?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I think the best thing about capitalism (although it started out as an ANZAC day argument) is that it allows people to aspire to become the best. What motivation is there for me to work hard and become the best marketer in Australia if there is no formal recognition system in place, and I will get the same job as everyone else.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

lawl im going to start my sociology assignment even though it's due in forever.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

I've decided to rewrite my essay tonight, instead of tomorrow.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

I have 2 essays due monday and a reading guide due tuesday and I have done about 5% of it and am not even working on it now on account of having spent most of Anzac day being dragged around every drinking establishment in Penrith (lol), getting 2 hours sleep and spending all of today doing something that should have taken 4 hours but took 6 because people are shit...so i cbf.

you guys are so organised and responsible, i look up to you with admiration

stazi

Nightman
HSC

238 words/1500. Although the bibliography is included in the word count so 230/1300. Lol in 15 mins I wrote like 20% of my assignment

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC

Ah you USyder's are so lucky to have a normal semester!

stazi

Nightman
HSC

what do you mean by a normal sem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)