Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan11

HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

omg that is fuckin funny, u spastic cunt! that article is like borat crossed with ricky gervais!

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
furthermore, how shit is the SCLG2606 lecturer's bibliography guide. Firstly it's not an actual referencing style. She just makes up her own and says 'use it'. Secondly, she wants us to do this for books (which is ok), newspaper articles and online sources:

Smith, R., 2000, "I am a book", London, Cambridge Press

Sydney Morning Herald
1 June 2000, Spectrum Features, 'Have a Nice Riot', p.8

19 March 2008, "I am an online article" in the Age, www.theage.com.au

What the fuck. Why would you:
a) Not write the author's name (even though she says the newspaper owns the article, not the author)
b) Write the date you accessed it first, before anything else
c) Not bother with the date of publication at all. Isn't it important to look at the date, especially if someone is incorrectly using data from 100 years ago.

argh.

And who the hell italicises the newspaper of publication above the other details as a heading.
Is that in the course outline, I haven't gone through it yet? I guess it goes with her thing on having an annotated bibliography....although there is no annotation, it's just a normal bibliography BITCH!

stazi

Nightman
HSC

haha yes. in fact, the presentation is nothing like an annotated bibliography, since it would otherwise be very boring. basically we're just presenting a regular essay. and a bibliography.

this is also her idea of group work: split up themes between you. Was it her who said that we'll have to work in groups in work, which is why she's organised a group project.

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
haha yes. in fact, the presentation is nothing like an annotated bibliography, since it would otherwise be very boring. basically we're just presenting a regular essay. and a bibliography.

this is also her idea of group work: split up themes between you. Was it her who said that we'll have to work in groups in work, which is why she's organised a group project.
Seriously, how random of her to just make up shit. University elitism must really have gotten to her if she's just making up new means to things that already have meaning.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

It actually pisses me off more because she made that smartarse remark to me: "why can't you follow my faculty's guidelines". She then justified it with "there's a guide at the back that shows you everything you could possibly need to reference". Well, there wasn't, for example, it doesn't outline how to reference an online working paper, or a translated text. Nor is the referencing in accordance to any system. Argh.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh and to add to her list of faults: how bad is the UoS outline. Lots of spelling errors, and the percentages + due dates of assignments are all wrong. "I thought I proofread it"

edit: are all arts subjects this badly organised?

HSC

Bulbasaur said:
don't make me own you again mudkip.

We call know Grass > Water
Mudkip is also Ground (I think) which makes grass super-super effective :)

Haha I'm glad I stayed away from the Media Sociology course...it seems like everybody is hating it. Although, come to think of it, the sociology courses I'm doing this semester are also pretty bloody awful...

stazi

Nightman
HSC

it's not that bad a course, it's just really badly organised. I mean, she doesn't put on a webct page, and simply emails the lecture notes out to everyone, copy-pasted into an email. Not even in a document.

neafoo

HSC

stazi said:
it's not that bad a course, it's just really badly organised. I mean, she doesn't put on a webct page, and simply emails the lecture notes out to everyone, copy-pasted into an email. Not even in a document.
Thats usually a blessing for most of the subjects i've taken. But yes i feel your pain with the guidelines... the subjects ive taken have all said 'follow the style guide on the website' etc. No matter how close i do it to them, i always fucking lose marks for fucking it up apparently.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

argh. so fucking annoying. they emailed me saying my SCLG tutorial room has been changed today. Today I had my presentation. Class finished at 2pm at the Mechanical Engineering building so I ran all the way to Carlslaw in the hot heat. Got there at 2:10pm. No one is there. I get freaked out. Turns out everyone apart from the lecturer got this email, so she made everyone go back to the old tute room.

neafoo

HSC

bl stazmondo.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

My chemistry lab today took only 45 minutes. 45! Party! Woo!

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

My tutorial got cancelled today, so I didn't show up until 10 for Paul Ginns's education lecture. 30mins later, darling Paul still hasn't arrived and we are informed he won't grace us with his prescence at all.

So I go home in the filthy heat. Then, a few hours later as I got out of the car to go to work, I slammed the door on my thumb. It is currently blue.

I think I win for "who had the worst Thursday". :cool:

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
oh and to add to her list of faults: how bad is the UoS outline. Lots of spelling errors, and the percentages + due dates of assignments are all wrong. "I thought I proofread it"

edit: are all arts subjects this badly organised?
stazi said:
First year was SOOO much better! We had an organised co ordinator (We love you Catriona!), and a pretty little WebCT, with lecture notes AND recordings, plus a discussions section! Awesome.

The things Annette she sends out by email are fine for an oldie who know jack all about computers but what is she using to type these notes up in, Windows DOS, what's with all those weird symbols?

I felt sorry for her this morning trying to work the VCR/DVD player. I was going to go down and help her out but then I thought.....NAH!

She does seem like a nice person, but yeah, gotta get with the program lady, setup a WebCT page, and put lecture notes up. I mean how hard can it be, there's got to be a WebCT template out there, where all the lecture has to do is upload everything. Hey, I'll do it for you, just say YES!

Also Stas, how did you go with the agenda presentation? What did you talk about, did you just do an overview, picked a specific view...?

CurlyRuby

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
My chemistry lab today took only 45 minutes. 45! Party! Woo!
Hehe my french tutor let us go like an hour and a bit into a 2 hour tute the other day.

WIN WIN WIN :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amber44 said:
First year was SOOO much better! We had an organised co ordinator (We love you Catriona!), and a pretty little WebCT, with lecture notes AND recordings, plus a discussions section! Awesome.

The things Annette she sends out by email are fine for an oldie who know jack all about computers but what is she using to type these notes up in, Windows DOS, what's with all those weird symbols?

I felt sorry for her this morning trying to work the VCR/DVD player. I was going to go down and help her out but then I thought.....NAH!

She does seem like a nice person, but yeah, gotta get with the program lady, setup a WebCT page, and put lecture notes up. I mean how hard can it be, there's got to be a WebCT template out there, where all the lecture has to do is upload everything. Hey, I'll do it for you, just say YES!

Also Stas, how did you go with the agenda presentation? What did you talk about, did you just do an overview, picked a specific view...?
hahahahhahaha that was a DVD!!!!!! She obviously hasn't heard of scene selection. I wonder if she rewinds the DVDs back to the beginning after watching?

Went pretty well, I think, although it was quite fragmented. I basically took the Marxist paradigm and critiqued it.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
This is meant to be a four hour lab session. :eek:
wow 4 hours ? and here i was , getting restless after our three hours :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)