Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2009) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
hey so guys

does anyone want to comment on international students and how you feel about them/why you feel this?

for my media assignment due tomorrow fml

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
I think students is a pretty cool guy. eh international and doesnt afraid of anything.

Serious note: Don't mind them, most tend to keep to their own groups but I've had a mixed bag. The one in my info group this year and in my elec group last year were champs and picked up their fair share of work.

Also have had an international student in a first year project who had serious issues with the language barrier and another one who bailed on our group just before a milestone was due (programming project). A mate and I spent 2 whole days without sleep to fill in his parts.

Today: Online quiz
Tomorrow: Catch up on lectures i've missed and finish my part in a group project.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
hey so guys

does anyone want to comment on international students and how you feel about them/why you feel this?

They are mostly shit. Avoid at all costs if you can.

They'll submit Engrish you have to proofread and even re-write sometimes (granted, white people are pretty stupid at this too in engineering) and fuck up equations and calculations.

One in my last group had a massive sense of entitlement (omg I pay THIS much). I couldn't understand his English at all (I'd describe the way he spoke as a massive string of nonsensical similes - like, like, like, like ad nauseum) and I think the only genuine reason he was still allowed to attend uni was cause he paid them $20 000 a year. I ended up having to do 3/4 of the report, maybe. He'll get the same mark as me, too! Awesome!

There's a reason why they are in Australia. They are rich (lol, some of them wear the dumbest and most expensive shit I've ever seen) and didn't get the marks to attend a university in their country. Fallacy of hasty generalisation, but whatevas, it's true. Sure, maybe 25 per cent are smart, diligent and do all their work but that leaves 75% that suck.

A good way to deal with them is just to take control of the group. Give them each something to do and leave yourself with the less because you know you are going to have to reference and proof-read their dumb shit.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
hey so guys

Depends on the individuals you meet, and where they come from. For some of them, I agree with jb_nc. But there are internationals who are easy to get along with, and speak and write English pretty fluently. I found that applied especially to those students who came from Singapore, Malaysia etc etc.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hey so guys

um

pretty much what jb_nc said

they don't have a great grasp of english so in group work you end up doing (or redoing) everyone's work as well as your own

then you feel resentful when you all get the same mark
but you'd have felt worse if you all failed because you didn't fix their stuff up

so you can't win

amber44

HSC
Totally agree with jb_nc! Uni is already stressful enough without having to deal with complete fuckwits. Email is a powerful tool for group assignments, USE IT. I've had Internationals not answer emails for a whole week, and by the time they do answer, we've already absorbed their part of the task amongst ourselves. I've also had no trouble in going to the lecturer/tutor and telling them what's going on, when an International doesn't pull their fair share, and that's usually 100% of the time. I seriously cannot understand how some of them pass units when their Engrish level is at a year 6 stage. Surely you can pay some corrupt administrator back in your own country to give you a degree, or atleast enrol you into a university.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Some of them have English levels below year 6. At least in year 6 I knew a verb is meant to agree with the subject and avoided sentence fragments!

Last yr I had to critique an essay/assignment from a group of them. I went crazy with da red pen and my mad English skillz. The lecturer spoke to them and them alone trying to reassure them it wasn't that bad.

It was, I overhead and lolz where had.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
thanks for the feedback guys

can i get some first names and degree/year of the people who have answered?

also wondering how you feel about international students NOT getting the same working conditions at usyd grad med compared to local students despite paying more; it being very difficult for them to get any internships?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Haven't encountered any internationals in my course yet. Thank goodness. :eek:

I spent my entire weekend doing nothing. Shiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Should catch up on work.

HSC
How have you defined "more important"?
I said "should be a higher priority for governmental policy", but I'm not sure if that is appropriate or not.

i missed last tute since i had to go to the airport :( If we had to define important though, i would say by somehow incorporating a measure of environmental degradation into GNP perhaps. i have said why i think the environment is of more importance than economic growth/financial crisis throughout the essay though - future sustainability and such. we have to argue both points of view right? then say which one we think is more relevant? government policy sounds fine :)

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
How have you defined "more important"?
I said "should be a higher priority for governmental policy", but I'm not sure if that is appropriate or not.
seems to be almost begging the question. what about something like 'more important = having a greater potential to influence people's wellbeing (and therefore a higher priority)

ledzeppelin

HSC
seems to be almost begging the question. what about something like 'more important = having a greater potential to influence people's wellbeing (and therefore a higher priority)
yeah that's what i'm concerned about
have to seek out lecturer tomorrow :(

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
well...i did 3/4 of my quiz today (i need a program that only comes with the textbook...and i haven't bought the textbook) and most of my group assignment (hopefully, other members will do their parts haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)