Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2009) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
ATTN: goony
Had a phone interview with RailCorp yesterday arvo, don't think I went spectacularly but I get the impression they just wanted to check that I spoke English fluently. Have been invited to do online psychometric tests, what can I expect from them and the rest of the recruitment process in general? They asked me what I thought the job entailed and I was kinda at a loss :eek:
Do they hire any engineers for their internships or just specific strands?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Do they hire any engineers for their internships or just specific strands?
afaik they're open to all engineering streams (that said, i don't think i've seen any chemical, aero or biomedical engineering interns). Besides, unless you're in the design office, they'll teach you everything you need to know (read: everything they want you to know), and even if you're in the design office (where i currently am), i've never had to use anything past 1st year physics. In electrical there are some technical specialty areas if you really want to dabble in that sort of stuff (analysis of high voltage systems, protection etc.).

Electrical, mechanical, mechatronics, software and civil streams are probably the main focus streams though. I've seen a couple of guys with chemical engineering backgrounds who focus on materials engineering...they may have been contractors though, i can't be certain (half the guys around the office are contractors).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sweet, thanks. So design office is where it's at so far as interesting work is concerned? Any software dev roles?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
hahaha oh nonono, design office is probably one of the more laid back sections you can get into. Then again it really depends on your manager and what section you get into. Some managers will get you to come along to on-site operations regulary, but some others will be too busy and you'll end up doing spreadsheets and reading manuals.

And it depends what floats your boat. Would you rather stay in the office all day creating CAD drawings or get out in the field and install/test/inspect the stuff?

There are software dev roles, but the interesting ones are mostly in the ICT dept and they don't take too many interns (i know a mechatronics guy who managed to get a gig there somehow, worked on some timetabling software or something). Apparently signalling has quite a bit of software dev going on.

spence

HSC
ECOP essay is easily the worst essay I've ever written. And I've done less than half :(

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
I found ECOP generally pretty easy, just talked about stability from a lefty stance.... I finished it yesterday..... Its Psych which I am stressing about.... Whats everyones question?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
what question are you doing spence?

im doing the income distribution question, and i've basically got 2 main concepts- price mechanism as determined by market forces VS labour theory of value/surplus value...and government regulated markets VS laissez faire markets

kokodamonkey

HSC
damn its 1:15pm already.. i really need to clean my room today before 3pm and i need to send an email and stuff jeez where does the time go!

spence

HSC

im doing the income distribution question, and i've basically got 2 main concepts- price mechanism as determined by market forces VS labour theory of value/surplus value...and government regulated markets VS laissez faire markets
i was going to do income distribution, but then decided on environment. gotta go to work soon, don't finish till 10, so i'm thinking i'm going to have a late night tonight
I found ECOP generally pretty easy, just talked about stability from a lefty stance.... I finished it yesterday..... Its Psych which I am stressing about.... Whats everyones question?
i'm doing neuroscience. haven't started though. will start tomorrow

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A

Those also work very well with stability to a certain extent. Especially the second point as..... laissez faire-----> may lead to over/underproduction--------->crises ect.

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
anybody started/finished psych?

also when are yours all due? because although its comforting knowing other people havent started but i just realised some arent due til friday..
Both PSYC and ECOP are due for me tommorrow.....
I am doing the social psych question, conformity's a bitch.... its hard to make a conclusion. People do conform... but then theres minority influence and that... which screws it all up.. blahhhh

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
how much have you done? mines due tuesday and i havent started.. im doing the false confessions question, it doesnt seem too hard.. ive probably got it all wrong though, lol
I've done about a quarter of it.... lol.
I'm worried about Calab and his NAZI referencing enforcement though....:confused:
Your lucky yours is due a little bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)