Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2010) (2 Viewers)

neafoo

HSC
Emailing the lecturer is probably the best way to check.

On an unrelated note, has anyone got any experience with getting out of jury duty? It's expected to go into next semester so I'm guessing I'll be able to get an exemption, but has anyone done this?
I get called up like once every six months. And every time it coincides with exams and stuff, and i usually just say i'm a full time student and if i miss a big chunk of Uni i'll fail and waste money etc (i also attached my timetable as proof with it). They seem to let me off. Though once i was gunna go and they decided not to use me, so maybe they're just being nice since then.

I think Usyd actually has a policy or advice about jury summons on their website, if you can dig it up.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
On an unrelated note, has anyone got any experience with getting out of jury duty? It's expected to go into next semester so I'm guessing I'll be able to get an exemption, but has anyone done this?
I got a letter, too. But mum's a prosecutor, so I should be able to get out of it.

izzy88

HSC
yeah i keep getting called up- have gotten out of it twice now. I never have any trouble- just say i have exams/assignments/class- however i'm in the new england region, so i keep getting called up to Tamworth court, and i'm obviously down in sydney during semester, so i have the distance thing as well.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Do we need to be on the register to vote to be called up for jury duty? I've never been asked. :D

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Emailing the lecturer is probably the best way to check.

mentioning exams/course work and such is generally the best way to go. but seeing as they've asked you during the holiday period, perhaps not such a valid reason, and some trials are significantly shorter.

spence

HSC
Do we need to be on the register to vote to be called up for jury duty? I've never been asked. :D
They get you off the electoral roll. They sent me a letter about a month or two ago saying I was on a short list, then I got one today saying I had been summoned.

mentioning exams/course work and such is generally the best way to go. but seeing as they've asked you during the holiday period, perhaps not such a valid reason, and some trials are significantly shorter.
The expected length is 6 weeks, so it'd go into week 4. I'm pretty sure I'll get an exemption

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
They get you off the electoral roll. They sent me a letter about a month or two ago saying I was on a short list, then I got one today saying I had been summoned.

The expected length is 6 weeks, so it'd go into week 4. I'm pretty sure I'll get an exemption
Oh nice! No hassle for me then.

Also a 6 week trial, that's nuts! But don't you think it might be fun? It'd be an experience I reckon. Aside from the whole running into uni thing.

spence

HSC
Yeah I reckon it could be interesting, although I'm sure it would be really boring by the end. I've applied for an exemption but I said I'd be able to do it after uni ends for the year

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Oh nice! No hassle for me then.

Also a 6 week trial, that's nuts! But don't you think it might be fun? It'd be an experience I reckon. Aside from the whole running into uni thing.
jo! reply to my text or this whichever you get first plz :)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
jo jo jo. i'm doing the gender question for part a and need a second text (already doing bridget jones) thoughts??? only need 300 words which is nothing.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
I diddddd... Bend it like Beckham for part b, then McEwan and Ali Smith for Part A with the... um, place affecting people question.

DO THE ALI SMITH TEXT. Cos it totally does not mention gender. So good contrast? Also cos they're both "modern" texts, so you can say how it's all different now?

Also, tmrw me you Amanda and Zio doing something after handing in the essay?

Also whats your structure like? I have another essay due tmrw so I'm working on that buuuut.. for my mod brit, I did intro + answer. I think its suppose to be answer + conclusion but I so CBB to change it right now.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
what time were you thinking? I'm going to hang out with some other people after handing in essay but could potentially work something out. I probably have an exam til 3 but this eye injury I've had for the last few days might not be ok tomorrow, in which case I won't be able to read the exam paper again which could really mess things up.

or we could do dinner sometime later this week if you guys have exams on any other day?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
totally didn't answer your structure question. for part B i've done 100 words intro, blahblahblah 60 word conclusion. super mini essay style.

edit: where is ali smith's thing? broadview or online?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Sorry lol. I slept at 6am. =____=;;
Anyway, I just wanted to see how you structured yours. For my answers I did, introduction then analyse with no conclusion. I figured I had to change it but I'm too lazy since I'm working on this other essay I have due tmrw.

And, Amanda and I only have the essays to hand in tmrw. I'm not sure what the go with Zio is though. I'll text you tmrw when I get to uni I suppose.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
stupid biostats lecturers
why couldn't they make complete lecture notes?!

also is it hard to pass biostats? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)