Semester 1 timetables 2011 (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
jetblack, what is stopping USYD from having the same timetabling system as UNSW? srs question

jet

Banned
HSC
jetblack, what is stopping USYD from having the same timetabling system as UNSW? srs question
Well if UNSW wrote it themselves then there's copyright issues. The UTS system is similar but much worse for a few reasons.

Timetables were actually out earlier this year than last year afaik so that's a bonus.

I don't know much about UNSW's system from an admin point of view, so I can only really talk about why ours is the way it is. One of the issues we have with it is the fact that it's a race to get the best classes first.

nobody gets that timeslot? because i want to go to that timeslot and nobody is going to stop me
You should go to timetable changes and get put in the 10am. You have a good reason why you can't be in the 8am so just ask.

speedofsound

HSC
also changing a tute class or anything will re-allocate every class, what the fuck, fuck you
ughh I KNOW, why is it so difficult to just move one tut to one of the MANY spots i have free and just keep everything else the same?!

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
You should go to timetable changes and get put in the 10am. You have a good reason why you can't be in the 8am so just ask.
but instead of monday 9am i want to go in the wednesday 12pm because thats the only other time i can do for "lecture 1" which doesnt involve clashes or coming all the way to uni for one hour and going home hence wasting my day

speedofsound

HSC
this is a truly stunningly horrible alternative to my current timetable. i really hope the staff can make the changes i want... and what's up with not being able to request particular class times?! are they dead serious about this???

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know much about UNSW's system from an admin point of view, so I can only really talk about why ours is the way it is. One of the issues we have with it is the fact that it's a race to get the best classes first.
whats wrong with that? first in first served. they get to choose all their classes.

jet

Banned
HSC
whats wrong with that? first in first served. they get to choose all their classes.
What about people who can't access the system for some reason? E.g. a few people in the Army Reserve can't get to the internet. Other people might be working when we go live and won't be able to choose classes before they get home, etc.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont know, put a cap on the number of enrolments per day for a week or something so everyone has a fair shot.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
so what will happen if i go to carslaw 157 on wednesday at 12pm

speedofsound

HSC
What about people who can't access the system for some reason? E.g. a few people in the Army Reserve can't get to the internet. Other people might be working when we go live and won't be able to choose classes before they get home, etc.
isn't it sorta the same thing with usyd, whoever logs into the timetabling system first and processes their timetable gets the best classes? or is it already picked beforehand? idk. i don't understand it.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i was going to lol. and gosh nothing wrong with asking some legit questions about my timetable is there?

jet

Banned
HSC
isn't it sorta the same thing with usyd, whoever logs into the timetabling system first and processes their timetable gets the best classes? or is it already picked beforehand? idk. i don't understand it.
Not quite. Essentially the timetable that pops up when you log on is a 'guess' at what should be the right timetable and it's confirmed when you collect it and don't change anything.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh gotta make sure to screen cap that before it's gone

also please bear witness to the greatest timetable of all time

You can totally let me know the work you do in 2611 and 2614 tutes before hand :p mine are both on Thursday.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yes but what if 500 other people have the same idea as me, we arent all going to fit in carslaw 157 i dont think

jet

Banned
HSC
yes but what if 500 other people have the same idea as me, we arent all going to fit in carslaw 157 i dont think
That's why they don't publish the venue on the website for students...

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
well lol @ them i found out anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)